PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on winterizing...

Pmedic4
11-17-2015, 06:51 PM
We're planning a January trip this year, so instead of doing a full Anti-freeze winterization, I did the blow-out method, of course remembering the toilet and black tank flush, and outside faucet. So, now I'm concerned about the pump, since blowing out all the lines doesn't get to the pump. So, how do I make sure the pump doesn't have water in it?

Do I have to hook up the anti-freeze to the siphon line, and pump in just enough to make sure the pump is filled?

TAZ23
11-18-2015, 12:02 AM
Run the pump dry for about 30 to 45 seconds to clear out the water in the pump. I do it this way every year and never had a problem. (This information comes from the Keystone owners manual under the winterizing dry method.)You may want to hook up the compressor and blow what ever water is in the lines after that. Don't forget the low point drain.

keystone owners manual

Lee
11-18-2015, 06:30 AM
Hi,

I do as TAZ23 recommends.

First I open all low point drains. My Cougar has 3. One under the fresh water tank, and two (a hot and a cold) near the hot water tank. It helps to also open a hot and a cold water faucet inside or else it takes forever for the water to drain as a vacuum will build.

I then run the pump for a minute or so.

Next, I blow all of the lines with 35lb/pressurized air.

Finally, I pour a little antifreeze in each pee trap and also the toilet bowl.

tommy_z
11-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Where do you apply the compressed air?

Pmedic4
11-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the updates, but I got antsy, and went and put some antifreeze through the pump earlier today. We have 20 degree weather coming in a few days, and didn't want to chance it. Feel better now about winterizing.

Actually surprised at the amount of water in the pump and lines to the sink faucet.

B-O-B'03
11-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Where do you apply the compressed air?

I have a quick disconnect to water hose male fitting adapter and install in in the city water connection, set my compressor to 35 PSI and open each tap to blow the lines out.

This is after draining the water heater and the low point drains.

-Brian

Pmedic4
11-18-2015, 01:51 PM
I have a quick disconnect to water hose male fitting adapter and install in in the city water connection, set my compressor to 35 PSI and open each tap to blow the lines out.

This is after draining the water heater and the low point drains.

-Brian

Do you then close the low point drains, to blow out the taps? And open them again when all the taps are clear? I was afraid most of the pressure from the compressor would be lost out the low point drains, but it probably doesn't matter.

TAZ23
11-19-2015, 01:29 AM
The low point drains need to be capped when blowing the lines or the air will not push through the faucet, toilet, shower ect,,, I open the low point drains and then recap them. run the pump and then blow the lines. then just for grins I re drain the low point drains again. The nice thing about blowing the lines is in the spring I don't have to flush out any antifreeze.

B-O-B'03
11-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Do you then close the low point drains, to blow out the taps? And open them again when all the taps are clear? I was afraid most of the pressure from the compressor would be lost out the low point drains, but it probably doesn't matter.

Yes, the system is closed, so all the pressure goes out whichever tap is opened.

I open the low point drains after blowing the lines out.

-Brian

Pmedic4
11-19-2015, 08:45 PM
The low point drains need to be capped when blowing the lines or the air will not push through the faucet, toilet, shower ect,,, I open the low point drains and then recap them. run the pump and then blow the lines. then just for grins I re drain the low point drains again. The nice thing about blowing the lines is in the spring I don't have to flush out any antifreeze.

Yep, the reason I didn't antifreeze this year, is as I mentioned in my first question was we plan on heading out in January, and didn't want to spend the hour in running water through all the lines. A couple of years ago, I missed something, and ended up with antifreeze in the Water Heater, ran water for days to eliminate that smell from the hot water. My assumption, being hot, probably made the antifreeze smell stronger. Lesson learned, just hope I didn't miss anything this year.