PDA

View Full Version : Portable trailer steps, sort of

wayfun
11-15-2015, 09:11 AM
We use our trailer as a winter home in Florida and spend about 4 months a year in it. Last season we felt that the fold out steps were a bit unsafe. Even with a support jack under them they would shake when we went up and down and they seemed too steep and narrow. I searched the web for another solution that could be disassembled to pack away when we left. I found one idea that was essentially a series of boxes that stacked.

Since I was building them on site and didn't have access to a good saw to rip the lumber so I couldn't get a consistent step height when the boxes were stacked. So after further thought I came up with this design that has worked perfectly. I used 2x10's as the vertical supports with 2x4 and 2x6 cross members with 1" trex treads. I then tied the vertical sections together with door hinges on each side. When we pull out in the spring all I have to do is pull the pins from the hinges and stow each step away.

This setup gives me 5 steps, counting the step into the trailer, instead of 4. Each step is 7 inches. They are sturdy and you can go up and down without holding to the hand rail when you are bringing in groceries with your arms full. And the dog likes them too. Attached are my plans and a photo of the finished product if you have any interest.

Dennis

chuckster57
11-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Very nice! You did an excellent job. "bouncey:

JoeofNSB
11-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Very Nice job. I especially like the hinge idea to make them come apart. Where do you winter in Florida? I'm a full-timer in New Smyrna Beach area.

wayfun
11-16-2015, 08:28 AM
We're on Hutchinson Island between Ft Pietce and Stuart.

Gadgetmonster
11-17-2015, 03:54 AM
Nice work Sir.

Alpine
12-08-2015, 07:59 PM
From one wood worker to an obvious other.... that looks great!

byrdr1
12-09-2015, 07:36 AM
are hinges pined?
like a door at your house that you can tap them out and remove?
thanks,

randy

wayfun
12-09-2015, 09:48 PM
are hinges pined?
like a door at your house that you can tap them out and remove?
thanks,

randy

Yes, the hinges are standard door hinges from Lowes. Just pull the pins to separate the steps.

byrdr1
12-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Yes, the hinges are standard door hinges from Lowes. Just pull the pins to separate the steps.
Thanks one last question.
parts list?
2"X8"X?
2"X6"X ?
2"X4"X?
8 hinges
Screws or nails?
See I want this at my house while the camper is resting for the winter.
randy

wayfun
12-11-2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks one last question.
parts list?
2"X8"X?
2"X6"X ?
2"X4"X?
8 hinges
Screws or nails?
See I want this at my house while the camper is resting for the winter.
randy

The vertical end pieces are 2x10
The horizontal pieces are 2x6 and 2x4. 2x6 at the bottom and rear with 2x4 across the front and in the center at the top. If I were doing it again I would use all 2x6 to close up the space in front of your toes.
The treads are 1x6 composite deckboards.
6 hinges and all fasteners were stainless steel screws.
You can find the cut dimensions on illustration.

Good luck

byrdr1
12-12-2015, 04:01 AM
The vertical end pieces are 2x10
The horizontal pieces are 2x6 and 2x4. 2x6 at the bottom and rear with 2x4 across the front and in the center at the top. If I were doing it again I would use all 2x6 to close up the space in front of your toes.
The treads are 1x6 composite deckboards.
6 hinges and all fasteners were stainless steel screws.
You can find the cut dimensions on illustration.

Good luck

Thanks again. I have a holiday project now.
The wife will be happy.
Randy