PDA

View Full Version : Slide out toppers good or bad?

Chippewa93
11-13-2015, 03:39 AM
At a cost of about $1,300. I am wondering if slide out toppers are worth it. Or am I just better off keeping a ladder with me. I would think that there is of course additional maintenance and the hassle of cleaning the topper like an awning as well. Thoughts....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tbos
11-13-2015, 04:11 AM
There seems to be pros and cons. Do a search in some of the sub forums and you will find a bunch of discussions. I now have a slide and have been wondering the same. Good luck.

Tbos
11-13-2015, 04:41 AM
Check out the recent thread in the 5th wheel sub forum.

Lee
11-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Hi,

When I bought my TT the dealer had a program where I got to choose (at no extra cost) one from the following list:
Electric tongue jack,
WD hitch,
or an awning for the slide out.

I chose the awning and am happy with it..... I live in the Great North-wet :eek:

Javi
11-13-2015, 07:16 AM
After having them on this trailer for a year, I will never own an RV without slide toppers.

SteveC7010
11-13-2015, 07:56 AM
After having them on this trailer for a year, I will never own an RV without slide toppers.

Ditto! They keep water and debris off the roof of the slides. Peace of mind!

Pull Toy
11-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Our last camper had one slide with a topper. Still had to hoist a kid onto the roof to get rid of the wet slushy snow when we got hit early a few years ago. The slush wouldn't let the side come in, even with the topper.

In my opinion, just more expensive things to flap in the breeze, when you get a good wind blowing. Even with the topper, you'll still get a wet roofed slide when it's wet out. It's probably a better investment to get a cheap electric leaf blower with a home-made 90 degree fitting. Does wet, does leaves, does dry snow! $$$ less. Only prerequisite is 110 volts, and try not to blow cr*p toward the gaskets.

koko
11-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Just finished a trip to Missouri...leaves falling like rain. Went to Oregon this summer...tiny little dried up pine needles everywhere. Camping when it snows...we love our slide awning. Had it installed when we purchased our trailer. Once the initial investment is complete, you're good to go. No climbing up on a ladder and wielding a broom for us. Other than the cost of installation, I can't think of a disadvantage.

B&T
11-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Not an option for us, my DW cannot tolerate the flapping noise. Nuff said :)

chuckster57
11-13-2015, 04:45 PM
These threads seem to always be a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing. There are a few different options (features) that can affect the cost.

How your trailer is "laid out" can also influence your decision. Since I have a power awning that sits real close to my curb side slide, a topper on that slide wouldn't cover it all with the bracket, so I'm not installing any.

ImTravis
11-13-2015, 05:38 PM
I have two slides, one on each side. Slide topper on one, and awning over the other. I like the topper as it keeps most things out, and I don't have as much to do when closing. Same with awning side. I still check though just in case. So far we've heard no flapping in the breeze except for extreme wind conditions, and then it's usually drowned out by the wind buffeting the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve S
11-13-2015, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't be without one as they help to keep the heat out plus it protects the seal from getting damaged and brittle from the heat

Richard Noble
11-15-2015, 12:09 PM
We have toppers on all 4 of our slide-outs. All the advantages are listed in the above posts. Major disadvantage is when living in cold states, if we leave the slides out and it snows/rains they will freeze and it is impossible to bring the slides in fully. Knowing this, we are very careful to be sure the slides are in when there is a chance for that to happen. Keeping this in mind, we still would not be without them. Advantages out weight the disadvantages.

PS - hail will damage them. Insurance is a great thing. We had taken our 9yo granddaughter to see Mt Rushmore this past summer and the 5er and truck got hit by hail. Insurance fixed everything (thank you American Family), including replacing the hood on the Duramax. I replaced it with an after market heat extracting one with hood pins. Completely customized the look of Grandpa's toy!

tgpilot
11-15-2015, 11:01 PM
Over the past 50 years, I've owned just over 25 RV's of one kind or another. When they came out with slides and slide toppers I put them on and never looked back. Well worth it. I bought a rig last year that did not have them on it. After a few months CW had a big sale on them. I was going on a six week trip the first day put and stopped and had them install the three toppers I needed. YES, it was worth it. "bouncey: