PDA

View Full Version : Towing trailer without batteries

deltadude
11-12-2015, 05:45 AM
Currently we keep our trailer at a storage facility. We just bought a home with property that will allow me to keep the trailer there. I remove the batteries every time I park at the storage lot. I don't think I need the batteries in place to move the trailer home but I thought I would check.
Once home, I plan to add a 30 amp receptacle so I can keep the trailer powered. I know the grandkid and his pals will want to camp out.

SteveC7010
11-12-2015, 06:03 AM
Currently we keep our trailer at a storage facility. We just bought a home with property that will allow me to keep the trailer there. I remove the batteries every time I park at the storage lot. I don't think I need the batteries in place to move the trailer home but I thought I would check.
Once home, I plan to add a 30 amp receptacle so I can keep the trailer powered. I know the grandkid and his pals will want to camp out.
Your breakaway braking system requires a battery in the trailer and turned on. Without it, you have no way of activating the breakaway.

I realize it's a small point and some will even "pooh-pooh" it.

Me, unless I am just moving the trailer around the driveway, the breakaway is always connected and operational.

JRTJH
11-12-2015, 06:05 AM
The trailer battery is the only power for the emergency "break-away" switch. In the event the trailer should uncouple from your tow vehicle, the brakes would not function and the trailer would be a "run-away".

In most states, it's illegal to tow a trailer over a certain weight without an active (functional) "break-away" system.

You don't "need" a battery to tow the trailer home, but should you get into an accident, you might be fined for not complying with all the towing requirements for your state. I'd install the battery rather than risk the legal implications, should something happen.

ADDED: SteveC7010 was responding the same time as me. I concur with his statement, install the battery, just in case something should happen.

deltadude
11-12-2015, 06:34 AM
Duly noted. Thanks for the info.

GaryWT
11-12-2015, 09:44 AM
For me, in addition to the brakes, the power jack needs the battery as well.

Ken / Claudia
11-12-2015, 11:32 AM
In Oregon it is a cite to be operating without a working e- brake away. Because it is considered a safety issue. Unknown about your states laws. Would the police know, only if your stopped for something else and than only if they check it. But, what if you get into a crash and someone is hurt. It will be checked, even if the non working break away was not a factor. How the insurance or civil liability ends up? everyone will try to point to you as being at fault or worst.