PDA

View Full Version : So how were your travels?

Steve S
11-09-2015, 10:06 PM
So how was everyone's summer travels and plans? Did everything go ok without out any major bumps along the ways:)
Is there anything that you would bring next time to make your trips even better?

buzzcop63
11-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Wife and I had a very enjoyable 41 nights out camping this year in state and county parks, starting in March. We have built up a list of items to take and how we want the trailer set up, we check off all the items as we load the trailer so nothing got forgotten on any of the trips. Our Tundra and Cougar trailer just fits the two of us. Due to our trailers size and weight it can be towed by a half-ton truck, which is now a daily driver. The truck has proved out to be a joy to drive as well as allowing me to see much better at night and giving us a better view of the road then we had in our Camry. The trailer can be heated by a small electric heater, which I run off the 20-amp outlet on the pedestal and save the 30 amps for the couch. Only problem we had all year is a flat spot on one trailer tire that locked up on the trailer, changing pavement surface, had to replace the tire, cancelled last trip.

bsmith0404
11-10-2015, 04:20 AM
We had a great year, unfortunately kids sports and school activities prevented us from getting out as much as we would have liked, but those events were worth it. We've added so much "stuff" over the years that are "nice to haves", I'm actually trying to figure out what we should/leave behind instead of what else can I add. Of course, I'm still looking at some camp chef accessories.

byrdr1
11-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Just finished only our 4th trip of the year.
First was Charleston, SC at James island County campground (5 nights)
Second was Ocean Lakes CG at Myrtle Beach, SC (7 nights)
Missed the whole summer due to my surgery
Late September we camped KOA New Bern, NC. (4 nights)
We just got back from Yogi Bear@ Daddy Joe's CG in Tabor City, NC (6 nights)
Thanksgiving trip was great, weather was prefect. Ocean lakes campground Myrtle beach, SC (9 nights).

Dang when you look at this 31 nights isn't that bad of a year. when you take the 4 months of summer out of the loop.
So with everything that has gone on this year we have had a great season of camping so far, looking forward to the next trip out.
randy
Oh yeah I did have one problem last trip out. Just had to get pictures download.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_188628_0_bf4f3b880fa33978f30ee62fff09a964.jpg
A nice $1000 plus dent and scratch. Don't even ask about this one.. Major fubar....

jsmith948
11-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Only "bump" we had was in the last of out Towmax tires (mounted as a spare):D

talk2cpu
11-10-2015, 08:54 AM
So far in our 3500 miles this fall no issues what so ever. I know this will probably jinx it, but it has been flawless. Did leave the TV antenna up for about 60 miles and finally noticed it during a turn. Cranked it down and inspected the roof. No problem and after several rains, no leak. Guess they are rated for that speed, just dont want any low hanging branches. LOL
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5702/22504480847_eaf46b8848_z.jpg
DW and fur kids hanging out in Canyonville, OR RV Park. Chilly, damp and oh so nice.
Tom

vampress_me
11-10-2015, 05:52 PM
We had a great summer. Camped for 5 weekends down at "our" campground in SE MN to start off the spring/ summer. Kids loved playing with their friends from last summer again. Then we took off to Ithaca, NY with my parents along with us. Spent little over 2 weeks on that trip. Discovered: 6 people can sleep just fine in our camper, the camper is waterproof (it rained almost the whole time), and that when you forget to securely close the cook vent the "flipper" removes itself somewhere between Ithaca and Ohio. Hehehe, oops.

Then we had to stay home for the month of July and beginning of August waiting for the new truck. New truck came in in nick of time to take camper out to Missoula, MT for son's doctor appt. We were gone for about 10 days and made the loop thru ND, the highline in MT to friends in Kalispell, down to Msla, over to Craig and fishing, and down to Deadwood for the parade from cool deadwood nights for kiddos to see the cars. Awesome trip also!

And, lastly, already bought on sale for next summers trips: a collapsible step for under the steps into the camper. We found on the NY trip that a short grandma and sloped sites don't make for an easy entry and exit from camper for her. So, fixed it for next year.

byrdr1
11-10-2015, 06:28 PM
and that when you forget to securely close the cook vent the "flipper" removes itself somewhere between Ithaca and Ohio. Hehehe, oops.
new one around $8 on amazon watch what you order you can get the whole thing for $13

Then we had to stay home for the month of July and beginning of August waiting for the new truck. Jealous...did i say jealous.. yes i am. Got to see a new one tonight dually

And, lastly, already bought on sale for next summers trips: a collapsible step for under the steps into the camper.
got one for mama last year.. she loves it so do I..
dogs like it too.

randy in NC

michael_h
11-10-2015, 10:07 PM
we're not ready to call it a years end yet

koko
11-11-2015, 09:01 AM
We had a great year. We started way back in January and pretty much went somewhere every month, including a couple of big trips. Like someone else said, we've found that we have way too much "stuff" and spent the end of each trip eliminating something else that wasn't really needed. Already dreaming about what we'll do next.

GaryWT
11-11-2015, 09:20 AM
We had a great year. The only bump is it gets cold and we have to winterized. We made 18 trips between May and Oct for a total of 48 nights. Tried 6 new to us campgrounds. We were able to take our first grandson on his first camping trip at 3 month old. All in all a great year. When we camp we never worry about forgetting anything as there is always a store close by and we are alway looking to see what we can leave home so that set up and take down gets easier. The best trips are always the ones that we can set up and take down in 30 minutes.

Steve S
11-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Sounds like everyone has had some great camping with minimal if any problems:)
I like the post about the antenna, now I know that if I'm out and we have big gusts of winds that I don't have to worry about mine pulling off and taking half the roof with it!"bouncey:"bouncey:

koko
11-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Our antenna (which was down) was ripped off of our roof on our very last trip -50+ mph wind gusts. Also, it threw our steps down twice. Gotta love Wyoming wind.

T3/T4 Hybrid
11-11-2015, 04:50 PM
For my first year with a TT the family and I are very happy. The wifey and kids really like the luxury that the TT offers and I will admit it has appealed to my softer side as I have grown wiser this years. :D

We already have a trip set for Disney World in Jan 2016 so I would say we are hooked. :cool:

Steve S
11-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Our antenna (which was down) was ripped off of our roof on our very last trip -50+ mph wind gusts. Also, it threw our steps down twice. Gotta love Wyoming wind.

Just out of curiosity was there much damage when your antenna grew wings or did it just pull the screws out as it left the trailer?

LuvsPalmTrees
11-11-2015, 08:35 PM
We got out 7 times this year. Each trip at least 3 days. Not bad for still having to work full time and on different shifts. Loved all the trips. I cannot think of anything else I need to add to the trailer. There are a few things that don't go every trip but I have everything I need in the trailer plus a few extras. Hoping to get out early next year and maybe some new places.

gearhead
11-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Summer is my hibernation time. Kinda like a Minnesota winter. So I try to do our travels spring, fall, and winter. This year we did the Bristol and Richmond NASCAR races. Then went to the indy500 for the first time. Also did a fly fishing school in the Smokies. I'm thinking that was about 3500 miles. We put the trailer in the shop in july for some minor issues. That 2 week job took 6 weeks. We had a trip "up north" planned in September but the sons wedding cancelled that. Right now we are in Louisiana doing genealogy and food research. Looking for a different way home...I-10 in Texas and Louisiana is terrible. The long way home might be 3 hours rather than 2. More trips next year as I'm retired and we are limiting our time volunteering.

trucker LOU
11-11-2015, 10:45 PM
My summer sojourn was 100 nights , 9,000 miles. 4 tires,2 fenders ,1 converter. I crewed at 3 vintage road races, Indy vintage festival , Mid Ohio vintage race , and Road America vintage festival. Trip would have been longer but Bonneville Salt Flats Speed week was rained out. Still and all a killer summer. Home for annual maintenance chores , a few local race events , and Quartzsite in January. pic of one car crewed on ---Lou---

Steve S
11-12-2015, 09:42 AM
From what I'm reading it seems that we all have different summers and winters. Here in BC it's pretty cold and if I'm correct most of the campgrounds are closed for the winter.
I can't wait until I get the go ahead to be able to travel again"bouncey:"bouncey:

gearhead
11-12-2015, 03:36 PM
My summer sojourn was 100 nights , 9,000 miles. 4 tires,2 fenders ,1 converter. I crewed at 3 vintage road races, Indy vintage festival , Mid Ohio vintage race , and Road America vintage festival. Trip would have been longer but Bonneville Salt Flats Speed week was rained out. Still and all a killer summer. Home for annual maintenance chores , a few local race events , and Quartzsite in January. pic of one car crewed on ---Lou---

That looks a bit like a Lola, but maybe too big?
I need to stay on top of the vintage schedule and make a couple.

trucker LOU
11-12-2015, 04:54 PM
yes Gearhead it's a Lola T70 former Mark Donahue car. It was winner at COTA last week end.I could not make that race.

B-O-B'03
11-12-2015, 07:21 PM
After picking up the trailer, at the end of February, we had to wait until after April 15th for our first trip (the wife is a tax accountant) and we went to the Big Bend area of TX for a week, then Collegiate Peaks campground in CO the end of May for a week and Buffalo Point AR, for 5 days, last month. We are heading to a local campground, for a 3 day weekend tomorrow and hope to do several more of those throughout what we call winter here.

A friend has a 2000+ acre ranch up in OK and he has put in some full hookup sites that we plan to make use of :D

All told, we have put almost 5000 miles on the camper,

Happy camping to all.

-Brian

geo
11-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Been a while since I have posted, but . . .

We are now full-timers, and our year in our S.O.B. has been wonderful. I hope whoever got our Alpine is enjoying the same. I know it was a mud logger in western Oklahoma who got our Alpine, and I am sure they have enjoyed a warmer inside in winter and cooler inside in summer.

But that said, I can say our year has been wonderful. In particular, I want to relate just one instance. Back in 2010, I met online another Keystone owner who was very knowledgeable and friendly. He and I built a friendship that was one like "family". We had never met. This summer, my wife and I were able to meet this person and his wife. With the exception of one day when I was sick, we spent 8 wonderful days together which my wife and I will never forget. It was as if this couple had been our closest friends for decades . . . as if we had grown up together rather than thousands of miles apart. Hardly a day passes when my wife and I do not reflect upon the absolutely wonderful time we spent with this couple. Because of this gracious couple, we have decided to return to the same part of North America as this summer to continue our friendship and to share the wonderful experiences which we started this past summer.

If only I could wish that each and every member of this Forum could have a similar experience, I would grant that to each of you. Yes, I have met other members of this Forum, and that short time meeting with them was one of memory. But this one Keystone Owner, this one . . . words cannot describe. Nary a day passes that my wife and I don't talk about these two who we met this past summer. If only the Earth could be inhabited by quality people such as these two, there would be no Paris, no 9/11, no Fear, no Uncertainty, and no Doubt. It would be that World of understanding and acceptance that John Lennon described in his epic song, "Imagine".

May peace, joy, and understanding be with you and your families as we approach this year-end Holiday Season. And just as these two who made a difference, try to make a difference yourself.

Regards,
Ron

Barbell
11-15-2015, 06:15 AM
We had plans to spend the summer in Colorado and the Northwest but Dr appointments and PT kept us home until almost Labor Day. Meeker Colo for the Sheepdog Trials the week after Labor Day, then to Cleveland, Ga where we joined a caravan. Bythe way, don't even try I-70 Eastbound on a Sunday through the mountains into Denver.
The caravan was 19 rigs and 36 days along the Applachian Mtns to Cherokee, NC, Asheville, NC, Bristol, TN, Galax and Luray VA. Enjoyed the mountain music, fall colors and good food and companionship with a bunch of retired military types.
Then we spent a week in Lancaster, PA in Amish country, back to Asheville and next week to Charleston SC. Plan to be home by New Years. Have had few problems with the rig; had to have the cable on black tank dump replaced, a breaker on the 12 volt side repalced and several rivets in the steps have failed. When we get home, I plan to cut the rest of the rivets out and replace with steel bolts. Keystone did have a recall on this but only replaced a few rivets. They all need replacing.
While this getting old is not for sissies, we are sure enjoying it so far. Hope to make the trip to the Northwest in the spring and join another caravan next fall.

gearhead
11-15-2015, 04:34 PM
yes Gearhead it's a Lola T70 former Mark Donahue car. It was winner at COTA last week end.I could not make that race.
We lost Mark way too soon. I think I saw him at a Can-Am race.
I'll make a vintage race next year. NOLA or COTA.

JeffS
12-02-2015, 06:33 PM
About 6,000 miles this fall.

Started off with a week in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - lots of great pasties.

The low point was Glacier National Park the first of September. I suspect it would be very nice if wasn't for the fires, the cold (mid 40's), the wind (ran from 11 - 22 mph constantly) and the daily rain. According to the Ranger, these conditions were extremely unusual but I don't think we will make a return trip.

The high point was Craters of the Moon in Arco, ID. Fascinating landscape. Very interesting to learn about the string of calderas running up to Yellowstone.

Wrapped up with a 2 week "kick back" in Ouray, CO - love those old mining sites in the San Juan mountains.

notanlines
12-03-2015, 04:28 AM
Jeff, first off, many "thanks" for rubbing it in over the pasty in the upper peninsula. I don't remember any offers to bring any back.....
Our experience at Glacier was about the same as yours. Fourth of July and the Road to the Sun was still closed from snow and it rained. We probably won't be back either. Too far out of the way to risk disappointment. About your visit to Craters of the Moon in Arco, ID. I have read other members writing about this. In all our travels we have never made this stop. How long a stay would you recommend for an average visit?

JeffS
12-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Jim -
We were there for just 1 day and wished that we had an extra day to explore more thoroughly. If all you want to do is a drive through 1 day is more than adequate. If you want to do some of the hikes 2 days would be plenty.

Sorry about the pasties. The best I can do at this point is recommend Dobbers - they will ship.
http://www.dobberspasties.com/

gearhead
12-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Well OK, I HAD to click on the link to be absolutely sure about not bringing pasties back from Michigan. Thought it may have been a boys night out thing. Ahem.

I'll see your pasties and raise you. Pasties from the state that knows about cooking:
https://www.natchitochesmeatpies.com/pies-empanadas.htm

Steve S
12-06-2015, 04:46 PM
It sure does sound like everyone has been having some great times camping without any major problems if any:)
It's so nice to read a thread where there isn't any complaints about trailers parked in need of repairs. Me thinks if you actually get out and use your trailers that you'll understand that they actually all come with little problems that you can fix or live with:)
Keystone makes a great product and if they didn't I wouldn't have bought one and I looked at many different trailers.:)

JeffS
12-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Gearhead -

Seriously, Louisiana - Trolls don't know pasties!

When the Cornish came to the copper mines of the Upper Peninsula they brought with them not just mining skills but also pasties as the standard lunch for miners.

notanlines
12-07-2015, 02:40 AM
I suppose I had better start this post sticking with the original topic, travels past and future. We are two days from being completely packed and heading to Clewiston, Florida for the winter. Memphis, we won't see you until the beginning of May! A couple days in Orange Beach, Alabama visiting friends and then on to Crystal River, Florida for a few days being just a tourist watching the manatees. Then on to Sebring and then Clewiston. It is a great location, with fine weather and about and hour and a half from the beaches in Miami.
I couldn't help but respond when Gearhead threw down the gauntlet by comparing Louisiana meat pies with Cornish pasty. For those of you in the Denver area you might try "The Pasty Republic," and Mesa or Phoenix there is "The Cornish Pasty." There is even a little restaurant in Hardy, Arkansas that does pasty. But, sorry Gearhead, none of them are similar to the meat pies. They are a horse of another color.
Are they good? Well, they are made by Cajuns in Louisiana so that answers that. But they aren't pasty.

JRTJH
12-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Comparing a "UP pastie" is to a "Natchitoches meat pie" is similar to comparing "mom's apple pie" to a "moon pie". They are both the same shape, but that's where the similarity ends.

Both are good, in their own right, but they are "apples and oranges" different.

gearhead
12-07-2015, 05:28 PM
I've never heard of them. They sound good though. Rutabagas...yummm.
Are they as good as a Whataburger taquito???

JRTJH
12-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I've never heard of them. They sound good though. Rutabagas...yummm.
Are they as good as a Whataburger taquito???

A "real" UP pastie is HANDS DOWN better than anything Whataburger puts on their tray.....

Come on up, I'll take you out for some "lower peninsula substitutes" Or, hold off till next spring and we can meet in Munising, do the Pictured Rocks boat tour and get some "real ones" :) The "age old argument" is: Do you put catsup or gravy on your pastie? Yoopers have been arguing that since the first copper mine opened LOL

gearhead
12-07-2015, 08:27 PM
I'm thinking I'd be a gravy guy.
Probably about how folks down here feel about putting catsup on a hamburger.
"You ain't from around here are ya?"

Jca3
12-27-2015, 11:53 AM
For the third year we started our trips in March traveling to Zion National Park. February was warm in Utah so no travel problems. The first year we began this trip we had to shovel out the rig from a 3 ft drift where the snow slid from the Laredo front and the ice dripped from the roof for two days. We stay in Zion for a week each year to get us out of the North.

We also spent a night on the edge of the town of St. George in Snow Canyon (named after a man, not snow). It is beautiful, but an urban park. Don't even try the hookup spots with a big rig and slide. You would be hitting the side of another camper and listen to their conversations. Never saw sites so close. We told them we would not be using #8 that night, but did stay on the top in a non-electrical. The road was to our back and very busy. I have some great photos though. Robert Redford has used the park for several movies.

Then on to Oregon for our month on the coast. I reserve spots 9 months in advance to assure we will have one. Some of the big parks have spots for those without reservations, but weekends could be difficult. Plus we have traveled there for the past 5 years so know which to reserve and which to pass on. The federal parks are quite small and if located on the east side of HWY 101 will be back in the trees, which are beautiful, but dark and usually rainy. We prefer the beach side. We stay at Oregon State Parks as they are so well done, Beachside, Nehalem, and Bullards are our favorites.

On the way back we noticed the Laredo roof bubbling in the wind. It had come loose at the front the year before while hitting a headwind in the gorge, spent $425 in Salem and rushed the guy on glue set time to get back on the road. We did get home without the roof tearing off and our local guy redid it. I hope it works this time. We told him of what we had read on these forums that the screws may be stripped and did not have enough so he put in extra screws in the strip that holds down the roof.

Back out to Bear Lake in Northern Utah and So. Idaho. East side. We have a favorite non electrical site and purchased the companion generator for our Honda to have some air conditioning. Both purred and cooled as it gets mighty warm over there for a couple hours a day. The site is off by itself so we didn't disturb anyone. The Idaho State Park has allowed four wheelers and is taken over by large groups. Not a quiet place for us, but fun for them I guess.

Six months to retirement and looking forward to no more winters as we travel to places warmer in the RV. "bouncey:

Hideout17
12-27-2015, 04:12 PM
Our trip went very well for our rookie season. We left Pa in late October went to Florida in November then to Georgia for December. Out hideout 26rls is great. No major issues except a few loose cabinet doors that I was able to fix ok. We did have a minor incident with our slideout. My wife opened while something in the way. I told he no biggie it happens, I could show her some posts if she wanted. Then in Georgia i tried to move a tree with my truck aha. I want paying attention when I was moving for someone to get by and smacked tree with bumper corner. Other than that all went well......