PDA

View Full Version : Remote Question

phinner
11-06-2015, 03:52 PM
Well, we took our 2012 28SGS out for a few days for its shakedown trip a couple of weeks ago. Everything went great aside from figuring out the storage in the bedroom. Does everyone hang clothes while they go on trips? We picked up some little plastic drawers to throw in the slide out closet which makes things a little easier, but it seems like there ought to be a better solution. Eh, that's a small, though.

My big question is about the remote. All the functions work except the landing gear. It shows the landing gear as I cycle through the selections, but it neither goes up nor down. Is there a little trick to this? I've already learned about the docking light trick - that threw me for a while until I read about it here in the forum. I'm hoping it's something along the same lines.

JRTJH
11-06-2015, 04:18 PM
The receiver, located in the front right compartment, has a number of relays on it. Four (or five) of the relays are along one edge of the receiver and two are on the bottom. The bottom ones are the "safety relays" that protect the components (slides, awning, landing gear) from being "fried" if someone were to activate a function on the remote while also pushing one of the manual buttons located inside on the "control panel". Each of the relays located on the side controls a function that is located on the remote hand held device. My guess is that your receiver has a faulty relay connected to the landing gear function. I can't "function check" my remote system right now, the trailer is in the pole barn with no power applied to it, but if you are somewhat handy at troubleshooting electronics, it wouldn't be hard to figure out which relay controls the landing gear and if it's working.

I believe there are 6 "function relays" on the remote and only 4 or 5 are used, depending on the model and how it's laid out. (Our trailer has 2 slides, yours has 3, so you use an added "function" that we don't use) I'd bet that you could program the landing gear to an "un-used" relay and connect the wiring to that one, bypassing the bad relay.

Just my "theory" on what's likely to be your problem, certainly no guarantees that if you "tear into it" that I'm 100% right....

Good Luck.

ADDED: Thinking out loud here, but I believe there is a 30 amp "mini-breaker" in the line from the remote receiver to the landing gear. There is also a 30 amp fuse located above the door hinge on the front access door (under the overhang where the bed is located). That fuse is in the wiring harness and located about center trailer if you open the front compartment door and look up.) I don't know for sure if there's another "mini-breaker" in the landing gear power supply line or if the one breaker protects both the manual and the remote wiring. So, you might have one of the "mini-breakers" that has failed.

If you're not familiar with what they look like, here's a picture of a DC mini-breaker and also a picture of the remote control receiver that's in the front side compartment:

WaltBennett
11-07-2015, 04:07 AM
Since you bought a used unit, perhaps the landing gear has been replaced and has separate switches? I replaced our original single motor landing gear with a two motor set and they have switches I mounted on the front street side of our Monty. Our remote won't do anything with them, but still does all the other stuff.

phinner
11-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Got into some long needed home projects over the last few days and haven't checked in lately. I'll check on the suggestions you two have given me this Saturday. I can't imagine it should be that difficult. My thought is that the remote has it programmed, so it should have worked at one time or another. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Quiroule
11-13-2015, 07:48 AM
If you should decide to use a different relay, I can send you the programming instructions. Just send me PM.

phinner
11-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Just sent it, Quiroule! Thanks!

Quiroule
11-13-2015, 02:43 PM
I sent it to your email address. If it were me, the first thing I would do is check the programming of your remote.

Good luck.

phinner
11-17-2015, 07:07 AM
Success! :thumbsup: Thanks, Quiroule for the instructions and John and Walt for the other suggestions.

If you should decide to use a different relay, I can send you the programming instructions. Just send me PM.

This was real close and maybe something the previous owner had done unintentionally, tried to do, or succeeded at doing. After checking the fuses and finding them good, I started thinking about switching to a different relay. The jacks were on the 7th relay and I could hear the relay (or A relay) clicking when I pushed the remote button. I decided to check for voltage on that relay before going any further - zero volts there. Out of curiosity, I decided to check the other relays before making any changes. Number 6 had zero volts, but low & behold number 5 had voltage pressing both the up and down buttons on the remote. Good for me! Out with the screw driver and after switching the leads to the number 5 relay, everything worked perfect! I'm not sure if the previous owner had purposely switched them to #7 (physically) or if they were originally on #7 and the remote programming got screwed up and he gave up trying to get them to work. Anyway, everything works now.

Thanks for all the help, people! I'm extremely happy with the fix. The wife? She didn't see the big deal like I did... as usual. :rolleyes:

Quiroule
11-17-2015, 07:12 AM
Glad you got it fixed.

Have a safe trip..

JRTJH
11-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Thanks for posting your findings. While this may not be the "typical fix" it's good to have the information. No doubt, sooner or later, someone else will encounter a similar problem.

Now it's time to enjoy camping LOL

GaryWT
11-17-2015, 08:50 AM
As for hanging things while camping, never. We bring shorts, jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts for the most part. Nothing to hang there, we just pile the clothes in the closet or cabinet, no different than if in drawers at home.

phinner
11-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Same MO here for the cabinets by the bed, Gary.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk