PDA

View Full Version : How to determine if I have EZ lube hubs ?

arwenmark
11-04-2015, 11:28 AM
I have a 2004 Sprinter 300 FKMS. I am trying to determine if I have EZ Lube hubs on it.

Is there any easy way to tell?

JRTJH
11-04-2015, 11:47 AM
Remove the access disc (or remove the wheel) and if you have EZ Lube axles, you'll see a rubber disc on the end of the hub. Remove the rubber disc and you'll see a zerk fitting on the end of the axle spindle.

If you don't see the rubber disc and there's no zerk fitting beneath it, then you don't have EZ Lube axles.

added a picture of the wheel center "hub cover".

arwenmark
11-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Ok I determined that I do not have EZ lube hubs. I called local RV shop to ask what it would cost to pack the bearings on the 4 wheels and answer was $400.

Does that sound about right to you all?

New to this stuff so don't know what is reasonable.

hankpage
11-11-2015, 09:38 AM
For that price they should be replacing the bearings and seals with new and buying you breakfast also. ....... I am guessing they are going by $100 flat hourly rate and one hour per wheel. If at all possible, study some you-tube videos and do it yourself. Use the cash saved to take the family on a long weekend of local camping and know it was done right. JM2¢, Hank

JRTJH
11-11-2015, 11:55 AM
As Hankpage said, "Do it yourself"...

You can buy a HF hydraulic jack, a torque wrench (to reinstall the lug nuts), a complete set of bearings, races and seals, a tube of bearing grease and a 6-pack of adult beverage for less than $100.

If you're "physically able" to kneel and sit for a couple of hours, the task is not "mechanically challenging" and you can save enough to do that "long weekend with the family".....

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most difficult, I'd rate cleaning/regreasing the current bearing sets as a 2 and I'd rate cleaning/replacing bearing/races and regreasing as a 4. The "toughest part" is jacking the wheel/manhandling it off the hub. Otherwise, the heaviest thing you'll be lifting is the hub that weighs about 15 pounds.

Check out the You-tube videos and see what you think......