PDA

View Full Version : Assist Door Handle foam replacement?

sjturbo
10-29-2015, 04:12 PM
I imagine some of you have the same type of folding assist door handle next to your steps. And after time the foam disintegrates so you are left with a metal grab handle? I was wondering if anyone tried something different as a replacement? I have a couple of thoughts to throw out. First was to replace the foam then wrap in bicycle handle bar tape? Second was to replace with rubber handle bar grips. I'm not sure if they would be the same diameter but I may give it a try. Just wondered if there were any other suggestions. Thanks!

JRTJH
10-29-2015, 04:54 PM
Stromberg/Carlson makes a handle, it may or may not be the brand you have. They are all pretty much the same with possibly some difference in location of mounting holes. All are 1" tubing with a foam handle. Stromberg/Carlson sells a replacement foam grip (Stromberg Carlson FP-1002-R Foam Grip) for about $12. Tweety's RV Parts sells a Stromberg Carlson AM-200 Assist Handle, Lend-A-Hand W/Foam Grip, White for $28. It's up to you whether you want to save $12 and spend an hour "fighting" a foam grip... Anyway, above are the part numbers for the foam and/or the replacement handle.

Your ideas to use bicycle handlebar tape or possibly tennis racket tape would give you essentially the same result. Cost, I'd guess would be about the same as the S/C replacement foam, unless you've got some bicycle stuff laying around your workshop.

JoeofNSB
11-12-2015, 06:03 AM
If you goggle the following: beach cruiser handlebar foam kit you can use a blow gun on a compressor to slide the longer piece of foam (shown in attached picture) over the handle on your unit after removing in from brackets. I have done this several times and it works great. These foam kits are available at most bicycle shops or online.

sjturbo
11-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Thanks!! I like the cruiser handle bar grip a lot! I think I'll give it a try. Honestly I had thought of trying a few strategically placed mountain bike grips. Seems like they might outlast the cruiser type rubber but might be a bit harder to install.

bobbecky
11-16-2015, 08:57 PM
Our grip is starting to fail at one end. When it gets a bit worse, I will get a 3M electric cable splice cold shrink tube, #8427-12, and install it on the handle. We used them when I worked as a lineman on underground cables that had to be repaired and insulated to be able to be directly buried in the ground. They are made of EPDM rubber, and should last the life of the rig. They are right at or less than the cost of the new handle, and are available at many commercial electrical supply houses.

sjturbo
11-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Another great idea! Thanks.

HANGAR
11-25-2015, 07:36 AM
Camping World sells a replacement grip for these handles, don't waste your money on it. It's adhesive backed and installs like a grip on a baseball bat. Within a couple of weeks, the adhesive starts to let go. I like the beach cruiser grip idea, I'll definitely give that a try.

cmlong
12-05-2015, 10:53 AM
How do you get the 1 inch tube of the two mounts so you can replace the foam?