PDA

View Full Version : Wow....cleaned my awning......

Vet4jdc
10-24-2015, 02:57 AM
I've been an RV owner for about 10 years. I've tried various methods and products for cleaning my awning including sprays made just for awnings. I have gotten the most of the black streaks off before but never like yesterday. I saw on THIS forum and wanted to try it so yesterday I did. Per instructions I mixed up some bleach, water and Dawn in a garden sprayer. I simply sprayed it on the awning to get it really wet and covered well and rolled it back up for about 15 minutes. When I unrolled the awning I simply rinsed it off on both top and bottom. All I can say is WOW!!!! Just like new. I love this forum!

bg71361
10-24-2015, 03:48 AM
Do you have a link or know the exact mix amounts for the concoction? :)

Steve S
10-24-2015, 07:49 AM
I can't find the link but I used the same mixture and it's the best way to clean your awning as the many products out there really don't work well:)

Vet4jdc
10-24-2015, 09:20 AM
I mixed about 1 qt of bleach and 3 qts of water to make a gallon of the solution then I just added a pretty big "squirt" of the dawn and shook it well before spraying it on the awning.

therink
10-24-2015, 09:48 AM
This is by far the best way to clean an awning. I do however recommend using lots of water and thoroughly rinsing afterwards to make sure all bleach solution is diluted and removed. The bleach is not good for stitching on the awning fabric.

bg71361
10-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks much!

gtsum2
10-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Good info. Will be doing this after last camp trip thanksgiving

Laredo291OH
10-25-2015, 05:47 AM
Below is a link to the best RV cleaning stuff ever. Works great for removing the black streaks and at cleaning the awning. I haven't tried the bleach and dawn trick, will have to try that next.

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11786549&mr:referralID=67506539-7b1e-11e5-a012-005056947d48&gclid=CJzmzMXg3cgCFZCFaQodUFcOpQ&pla=pla_12281147&camp=PLAPPC-_-PID12281147&KPID=12281147

sjturbo
10-25-2015, 11:29 AM
JRTJH posted the same solution calling for a 1/4C bleach. Did not specify the amount of Dawn. I used 1/4C bleach in about a gallon or so of water with enough Dawn to make soapy water. Used a pump up sprayer, soaked the underside, rolled up and waited about 15/20min. Unrolled, spayed off and was amazed. I did have some additional areas that needed some re-spray, lite brushing and the awning looks great! I'm sure many other cleaners will work also but since I had the ingredients I though I would try it. Careful though, wear only white clothing and googols! Only have one pair of eyes.

buzzcop63
10-25-2015, 09:50 PM
If you keep your trailer at a storage sight and do not have access to water try this. Wife uses a Swiffer mop to clean inside floors; I have found with its long handle it makes an ideal cleaner for the underside and top of the awning. After using a couple of times the black marks have quite coming back so it is an easy job now to just do a clean up of the dirt. Also Dollar Tree sells refills of 8 for $1.00 making it also cheap. Use it on the top as well, can reach most of the awning and it sure does take off a lot of dirt.

dm1401
10-25-2015, 09:59 PM
If you don't mind using a bunch of elbow grease, scrubbing it down with a magic eraser will make it look new also.

Vet4jdc
10-27-2015, 04:51 PM
That's a lot of work! "bouncey:

{tpc}
10-29-2015, 09:12 AM
If you don't mind using a bunch of elbow grease, scrubbing it down with a magic eraser will make it look new also.

Just a heads up, Magic Eraser also comes in a floor mop size with a handle that might be easier to use on the awning. Typically I just use the hand version though.

Rdowns
11-05-2015, 07:10 AM
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not...

Has anyone tried this on the darker colored awnings? I would hate to spray bleach on there and have it leave marks!

JRTJH
11-05-2015, 07:28 AM
Not sure if this is a dumb question or not...

Has anyone tried this on the darker colored awnings? I would hate to spray bleach on there and have it leave marks!

Clorox, or any chlorine bleach is a typical "wash day" product and used in proper concentrations, will not damage your awning or "fade" the color. However, as with most products, "more is not always better".

I use 1/4 cup of Clorox (not Clorox concentrate), 1/4 cup of "blue" Dawn and 1 gallon of warm water. Wet the awning with a hose, spray or brush the solution on your awning, roll it up and let it sit for 20 minutes, then unroll the awning and rinse "THOROUGHLY". You need to remove/dilute all the chlorine, some of which may have saturated the thread in the seams of the awning. Then allow the awning to dry completely, roll it up and remember that when it rains, the awning will collect water. It's usually this "standing rain water" that causes mold and mildew to form on the fabric. So, after each rain, unroll your awning and let it dry.

I've had acrylic fabric awnings, vinyl awnings, cotton canvas awnings that have been striped, "linen faded" and print colors. I've used this solution to clean them for "too long to remember" and I've never had any "color fading" or "fabric damage" from this solution when used as described above.

x96mnn
11-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Will be trying this in 130 days...but who's counting. (tx)

steve eboe
08-11-2016, 04:56 PM
I know I'm responding to an old posting, and this topic has been discussed a lot on this site, but for any new people on the site--this method REALLY WORKS WELL for cleaning an awning.
As suggested, I used the water, bleach and Dawn solution (I used about a half cup of bleach in probably a gallon and a half of water, and a couple squirts of Dawn) and sprayed it on the awning (top and underside) with a spray bottle, rolled up the awning and let it soak for about an hour; rolled it back down and gave it a really good rinse with the hose; and my awning looks almost new-- cleaned up all the black streaks and mildew.
I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the tip.

steve eboe

GaryWT
08-11-2016, 05:51 PM
I usually use tiled but I like the idea of a larger sprayer for quicker and better coverage.

Cougar1957
08-25-2016, 10:02 PM
Well I must have some really nasty staining from neighbors black walnut trees because I've tried all the methods mentioned above and none of them did a thing to get rid of the stains...nada, nothing, zilch. Next one I am going to try is one a friend swears will clean up my awning called Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner + Bleach.

cpaulsen
08-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Bleach/Dawn and water is all I have used for years and has worked everytime.

limit4
11-10-2016, 07:01 PM
I cleaned my awning today using this methd and all I can say is WOW and thanks for posting!!!!

PT RV`er
11-16-2016, 04:18 AM
Never knew about this method. I`ve been suckered in all these years buying the awning cleaning solutions from camping stores. I`ll be trying this method this weekend. Thanks for the info.

gearhead
11-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Dawn and bleach didn't do much for mine. Mean Green Mold & Mildew Killer did though.

cpaulsen
11-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Have done the Dawn and bleach with water for many years........has always worked!

Ksupaul
08-18-2020, 05:54 PM
Clorox, or any chlorine bleach is a typical "wash day" product and used in proper concentrations, will not damage your awning or "fade" the color. However, as with most products, "more is not always better".

I use 1/4 cup of Clorox (not Clorox concentrate), 1/4 cup of "blue" Dawn and 1 gallon of warm water. Wet the awning with a hose, spray or brush the solution on your awning, roll it up and let it sit for 20 minutes, then unroll the awning and rinse "THOROUGHLY". You need to remove/dilute all the chlorine, some of which may have saturated the thread in the seams of the awning. Then allow the awning to dry completely, roll it up and remember that when it rains, the awning will collect water. It's usually this "standing rain water" that causes mold and mildew to form on the fabric. So, after each rain, unroll your awning and let it dry.

I've had acrylic fabric awnings, vinyl awnings, cotton canvas awnings that have been striped, "linen faded" and print colors. I've used this solution to clean them for "too long to remember" and I've never had any "color fading" or "fabric damage" from this solution when used as described above.

Sorry to Old Post police, however I have to give this props. Brown nasty 4-6 foot stained streaks every 10-12 inches on bottom of my awning. Used this recipe best I could. Only had 32oz spray bottle so tried to do the math. Pretty sure I had more bleach and Blue Dawn than conversions would have called for but anyway. Sprayed on first tine, rolled up for 30 minutes, then sprayed off with garden hose and spray nozzle. Ehh. It helped but more than half to 70%!the stains still there. The wife talked me into doing it a second time right then. Wish I had the before and after picks. After second time the stains I would say are 95-97% completely eliminated. Under side of awning is bright white by the way.