PDA

View Full Version : WIFI access when traveling

RVnewbieGA
10-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Just about ready to bite the bullet and purchase our first TT. We're retired and want to do some extending trips, not just short weekenders. We really are hooked on Internet access for a wide variety of pleasures, needs, etc. I know I could always set my cellphone onto hotspot mode, but don't really want to use my cellular data all that much. I know some campgrounds offer WIFI, but many do not. What's my best options?

B&T
10-22-2015, 01:14 PM
I've used this with some success. Can connect multiple computers & phones to it to share any internet connection the repeater can connect to.

http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER

For Free, I also turned an old linksys router into a repeater by loading ddwrt firmware into it and it works about the same but without the external outside antenna it does not have quite the same operational distance as the RV-KIT-REPEATER. There are similar systems out there and someone here may suggest them.

Pull Toy
10-22-2015, 01:36 PM
I think you'll find that more and more campgrounds are offering WiFi, either free, or for a modest price. In some cases you may have to go to the lodge or office with your laptop, but just like cable tv was limited a few years ago, it is now quite universal, so will the time come for Internet access.

Depending on your needs, you can always day trip to the local Donut Shop or Diner or Truck stop to check your e-mail, etc. Quite a few retailers now offer free WiFi.

Enjoy your new adventure!

RVnewbieGA
10-22-2015, 05:27 PM
I've used this with some success. Can connect multiple computers & phones to it to share any internet connection the repeater can connect to.

http://www.jefatech.com/product/RV-KIT-REPEATER

For Free, I also turned an old linksys router into a repeater by loading ddwrt firmware into it and it works about the same but without the external outside antenna it does not have quite the same operational distance as the RV-KIT-REPEATER. There are similar systems out there and someone here may suggest them.

Thanks B&T, I'll try this.

mikell
10-23-2015, 12:23 PM
We just buy extra data for my phone . It's cheaper than any other way. That said most parks now have WI FI but the ones that charge are really and crappy

SteveC7010
10-24-2015, 04:31 AM
There are also a number of websites that have info on free wifi locations. Many of them are user updated so the info can be relatively accurate in many cases.

Where we camp at least 30 days a year, the cell service is only 1X. Using cellular data there is a bad thing.... But luckily, the trading post just outside the park has free wifi as do several locations in the nearby village.

GaryWT
10-24-2015, 05:24 AM
Depending on what you use it for you may or may not be ok. To look things up go on the board etc., usually not an issue. Sometimes slow but... If you want to watch movies or videos then you might be out of luck with campground wifi. Most campgrounds don't like that. If there is no wifi I just use my phone and Verizon.

Bob Landry
10-24-2015, 06:55 AM
We got tired pretty quickly wrestling with campground wifi and having to drive to the office to check email. We use the Virgin Mobile Hotspot. It's $50 a month and it's unlimited and works in the truck or the trailer. It keeps DW occupied with her Ipad while traveling and gives us navigational and mileage information when we need it.

CWtheMan
10-24-2015, 11:32 AM
For many years we have used Verizon wireless connections for all of our wireless connections. Our current MiFi device is about the size of a playing card and about 3/8” thick. We can connect (securely) up to four wireless devices with very good speed (very fast for single connection). In a recent trip across I22 in AL we had uninterrupted connections for our tablet and laptop for that entire section of remote highway.

mcsearch1
10-30-2015, 02:02 PM
I also use a cellular Wi-Fi. We have US Cellular which allows us to bump our data up to 8GB during the spring and summer then back down to 2GB through the winter at no additional charge. It's secure and dependable.

tgpilot
11-04-2015, 12:07 AM
I looked into Verizon wireless and I had heard a lot of bad things about their pricing, billing practice's, and throttling you down on speed. Although, I did buy their Wal-Mart hotspot this summer for more than a hundred dollars with data good for 30 days. I've yet to activate it and will do so in the spring.

I had bought a Net Gear Wi-Fi extender for my home and took it with me on our six week trip. All I had to do was set it up in the top of my 5r and set it up to receive the campground Wi-Fi. It works pretty good, better than not having it. I am sure those around me appreciated the extra signal boost too.