PDA

View Full Version : Buddy bearings

kguess
10-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Has anyone had a problem with buddy bearings accepting grease. Two of mine will not , when I try to pump it , it will not go in. I tapped on the bearing, raised the wheel to take pressure off but it still didn't work. I guess I must have to change them . Any other suggestions, please send my way. I am using and old-school grease gun.

JRTJH
10-17-2015, 01:18 PM
If you're talking about the EZ Lube system on Dexter axles, I'd urge you to read the instructions before proceeding. The wheel needs to be off the ground and you spin the wheel while "SLOWLY" pumping grease into the zerk fitting. If you have the wheel on the ground and pump grease into the axle, you stand a very good chance of pushing grease past your grease seal and the next time you tow, you'll probably contaminate your brake shoes/hub surface.

I've used the EZ Lube system for years without problems, but when I took my axles apart to inspect bearings this fall, all 4 of my grease seals had leaked and I had to buy new brake shoes magnets. Rather than that, I bought 4 new brake assemblies at the cost of about $200.

When you think about it, there's not much savings by using the EZ Lube system if you contaminate your brakes. I've definitely changed my mind about "pumping grease into the hubs" after my experience this summer.

If you're intent on using the zerk fittings, they may be plugged. You can buy new zerk fittings for less than a buck each (probably 50 cents) at any auto parts store.

kguess
10-17-2015, 02:56 PM
Yes I read that after posting. They are not buddy bearings but EZ lube. I'll lift the trailer and do it the correct way. Thanks for your info.

Titan Guy
10-18-2015, 05:45 AM
I don't use the ez-lube zerk fittings. I pack my bearings yearly and after installing the new rear bearing and seal, I fill the hub cavity about 1/2 full of grease, slide it on the spindle, push as much grease as possible back in the cavity, install the new outer bearing and clean off the excess grease.
Don't touch them again for another year.

kguess
10-18-2015, 06:32 PM
After pulling the first hub, I am good, no leak into the system so I'll clean, repack and adjust brakes and move to next wheel.....taking it slow , reading up on the process as I go. Will see how it goes......thanks, kenny