PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Alpine flimsy roof ladder

scchasgal
10-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Anyone else have an issue with a flimsy roof ladder. The three support are one at the top and two close together at the bottom. This leave about 8 feet of unsupported ladder to climb.

I do not weigh too much and I have been up the ladder twice and it is bent and bows in while climbing it. Keystone says they will replace the ladder but I am thinking it will be the same issue since they are not adding any extra braces.

This is a design flaw with the newer Alpines and they tell us they will not be adding an additional brace (probably no support on the fiberglass).

Any suggestions?

chuckster57
10-16-2015, 05:34 PM
What flexes? If the support bases that are screwed into the wall aren't moving then the issue may be just loose supports (stand offs).

There is a screw that holds the stand off tight to the ladder, but it's on the back side of that plate. You could take the plate off, tighten the screw and resecure/reseal.

scchasgal
10-16-2015, 05:51 PM
What flexes? If the support bases that are screwed into the wall aren't moving then the issue may be just loose supports (stand offs).

There is a screw that holds the stand off tight to the ladder, but it's on the back side of that plate. You could take the plate off, tighten the screw and resecure/reseal.

The ladder itself flexes and it scares me to climb it. I will try the plate that you mentioned.
(tx)

EVMIII
10-16-2015, 06:26 PM
I didn't notice any flex lugging my 250 lbs up the ladder, but the only time I used it was my PMI. I use my extension ladder to get on top or cleaning. I would trust it if I needed it on the road. I wouldn't hang anything from it or use it to carry a load like some do, but I think it will get me up top if needed. Good luck, safe travels.

bsmith0404
10-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Ever climb an aluminum extension ladder? Aluminum flexes, doesn't mean it's going to break. I can understand your concern, but I wouldn't stress it too much.

ChuckS
10-18-2015, 06:01 PM
I have a 2014 Alpine.. The ladder is not real stout.. Also, mine developed stress cracks at the lower right mount.. This was after first year. Dealer warranty repaired.. You have to look close around those circular plates too and bottom for the stress cracks.
I use a six foot extension ladder to start up the ladder with. Puts less stress on the fifth wheel ladder. I also carry one of those collapsible 16 foot ladders to use so I can unlatch the vent for the microwave.. And I use I to gain access to tops of slide outs to sweep them off.. I figure the less I am up on that roof the lower it will last..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Campy
10-19-2015, 04:39 PM
I have never been on a camper ladder that felt secure, my Cougar ladder is a carrier for a real ladder. A 8ft fiberglass step ladder rated at 300lbs is what I carry and if I need on the roof I go up on a slide edge and step over on the roof.