PDA

View Full Version : Dunce move....

squeak93
10-13-2015, 05:08 AM
Well my short attention span finally got the best of me. Our Fiver has a rear bedroom set up with a slide out for the bed itself. Well in my "rush" to get back on the road this past weekend, I did my normal walk through the trailer (usually 2-3 times to ensure nothing is in the way of the slides). I went up to the control panel and starting reeling in the bedroom. It got 95% closed when I looked back and realized I forgot to close the bedroom door (which opens into the inside of the room).

Sadly I realized it WAY too late and broke the door. The outside (Part that faces the kitchen/living area) just has trim damage around the frosted glass but the interior side is actually broken/split. These are hollow core doors and likely not going to be fixable.

Can I source a "new' one from Keystone or am I going to have better luck replacing with a new door and stain to match? (I could also get lucky in a bone yard with a replacement but not likely).

I'll try to get Pics tomorrow of my bone head move but it is what it is and now I get to fix it. :( :banghead:

JRTJH
10-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Things happen. I'll bet that's one "mistake" you'll never make again. If you asked for a show of hands for who else has done something like this, I'd guess that almost all of us would be raising our hand.

I believe this is the door you're looking for: http://www.trekwood.com/products/46605/Passage-Door-1-3-8-x-24-x-72-Carb-2-L-L-Krackle-Glass-Cougar-Cherry

Trekwood has the same door with a different style of glass insert as well.

Good Luck with your repairs.

dwkhumble
10-13-2015, 05:24 AM
Been there done that, however it was the fridge door. I caught it just in time, with minor damage to the cabinet.:rolleyes:

Ken / Claudia
10-13-2015, 08:36 PM
I did that in the last rv, I left the pantry door open, it caught on the nearby mirror as the slide closed. I only broke the mirror and no bad luck after. It was a cheap replacement considering the door could have also broke.

squeak93
10-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the link!

Sadly this one doesn't look to be a "cheap" repair if I want to maintain the same look and appearance as the rest of the cabinetry and doors.

I'll reach out to that company and see if I can still get my hands on it as it says "call for availability".

Thanks again.

frankyb01
10-14-2015, 07:21 AM
I was lucky, I only bent a couple hinges on a cabinet door before I noticed it open. Don't feel bad. Back when I was flying the saying was "there are two kinds of pilots, those who HAVE landed gear up and those who WILL" It's all just a matter of live and learn.

x96mnn
10-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Add this guy to that club! I caught it about 50% in when the door as being ripped from the hinges. Little wood glue, straighten out the hinges, couple bigger screws and just like new :).

GMcKenzie
10-15-2015, 07:20 AM
Been there done that, however it was the fridge door. I caught it just in time, with minor damage to the cabinet.:rolleyes:

Ditto. Now I know how to take the freezer door off when it is jammed against the slide out.

Small scrape on the slide out wall that I will never see.

billstuart
10-26-2015, 04:17 AM
For me, it was a cabinet door under the kitchen sink. Luckily I caught it early enough that a slight hinge adjustment with a rubber hammer took care of it.