PDA

View Full Version : Necessities

DTJ9610
03-30-2011, 07:58 AM
So my last TT was a small Jayco 17C which didn't really require to many extras that and I didn't have room in the minivan for much more. All I really used when setting up were a set of the orange legos and a small piece of wood for the jack foot.

With the new 303TG (which was a result of the new truck and the wife seeing an opportunity) it seems I need more. I've seen many of the other campers with wood blocks, planks, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

campingcpl
03-30-2011, 09:11 AM
It all comes down to what you feel you need. You will probably get a lot of responses on you need this and you need that but it all comes down to what works best for you and what you feel you will need for your situations. Personally we use the "lego" blocks for leveling the trailer and for under each stab jack unless we are on a paved site. I know other people use wood blocks which work just as well but take up more space and weight. So again it comes to personal preference. It's the same with choking the tires. Some use wood, plastic, metal or the x-choke type devices, all work to keep the trailer from moving, some more then others but it all comes down to personal preference.

Outbackmel
03-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Have used all types successfully. Newer gadget out there is a 3ft or so yellow plastic "thing-a-ma-jig" sold at RV centers which made my life easier on our recent trip. Has 3 built in levels. Simply place it in front of the wheels needing leveling and pull "forward" until happy....I think it was about $20.....
BUT; anything will work....:D

chuck&gail
03-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Lego blocks work for me. I also carry one Rotochok for between the tires up on blocks, and several cheap plastic wedge chocks for the tires on the ground (yes, ours is dual axle).

We are assuming you already have water pressure regulator, sewer hose, fresh water hose, and $20 gadget to check pedistal power before plugging in.

W.E.BGood
03-30-2011, 02:04 PM
chuck&gail..question..what's a "$20 gadget to check pedestal power before plugging in"? Thanks, BGood

chuck&gail
03-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Gadget has several lights on it (three I think) to check for open ground, open neutral, reverse polarity. I got mine at Radio Shack, but Home Depot and Lowes sells them, as well as lots of others.

Look at;
http://http://www.amazon.com/50542-Receptacle-Tester-Improper-Indicator/dp/B002LZTKIA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301542430&sr=8-2

DTJ9610
03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
I have one in my work box, but have never used it for camping. I have a volt meter that I keep plugged in at all times. What do I use the plug tester for at the sites/camper?

ftwildernessguy
03-30-2011, 10:48 PM
The $20 gadget is okay to check for proper polarity, but will do nothing for surge protection. I would suggest going the extra mile and getting a surge protector that will protect your trailer's electrical system in the event of a power surge.