PDA

View Full Version : Leaving the gray tank open

GaryWT
10-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Up until the last 2 trips, I always open the gray tank when I connect to the sewer and all is good. I close it the last night to get some water in there for the final flush when closing up. Has workout the past couple years. Well, the last two weekends, for whatever reason I have left the tank closed. I think it was because of the distance, I really could not put a "elbow" in the sewer hose so it would hold some water. Anyway to make a long story short, I have had to clean my tub at least 3 times as the tank gets filled and backs up in the tub. What a pain that is to have to go out usually late to dump the tank and then go in and clean the mess. Going to go back to leaving it open for sure.

Javi
10-07-2015, 08:40 AM
Okay...

We don't have that problem because we know how many baths we get to a tank and I dump accordingly..

BirchyBoy
10-07-2015, 08:44 AM
We've had the grey tank back up into the tub a couple times. I'm usually pretty diligent with dumping in a timely manner but have missed a few times. My concern with leaving the tank cracked open is the possibility of sewer gases coming in from all of the other campers. The P traps should keep it contained, but you never know.

GaryWT
10-07-2015, 08:58 AM
I do know that it would need to be done everyday as 2 showers and dishes one or two times will fill it but we added the baby this weekend plus I am so forgetful now that it just did not get done.

When I can I leave a dip in the sewer hose to create a block for any fumes.

Javi
10-07-2015, 09:09 AM
I do know that it would need to be done everyday as 2 showers and dishes one or two times will fill it but we added the baby this weekend plus I am so forgetful now that it just did not get done.

When I can I leave a dip in the sewer hose to create a block for any fumes.

We have a 38gal grey tank plus a 38gal galley tank so for us the dish washing isn't an issue. We can normally get 6 baths, tooth brushing and hand washing on a tank before I need to go outside and dump.. I also leave a dip in the hose if we are in a full hookup site but I still close the tanks and only dump when full..

Most of the time we are camped at Goose Island a small Texas State park and there is no sewer so I've learned exact what I can do as far as the grey tanks... and use a 35gal dumpette..

chuckster57
10-07-2015, 11:16 AM
I simply dump my gray in the evening after doing dishes, close it and do it again the next evening.

bmach
10-07-2015, 05:57 PM
When hooked to sewer we never leave the tank closed. The only time it is closed is when doing the dishes the day of a trip so we can use that water to raise the sewer hose after dumping the black. I don't think there is any reason for it to be closed all the time when connected to sewer.