PDA

View Full Version : How late is the season?

{tpc}
09-28-2015, 05:04 AM
The camping season that is?

I realize that here in michigan we have few camping days left, but I am wondering if there are different seasons in some neighboring states? Not sure if we will be able to make it to a neighboring state, but I know we want to go at least once more before I put everything away, and the weather seems like it might be conducive to it. Particularly looking for full hookup, which makes it even tougher.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Can't believe how quickly things have flown by...

Murphsmom
09-28-2015, 05:55 AM
We usually do our last trip of the season over Halloween. Wine tasting in the southern past of Washington State.

hankaye
09-28-2015, 06:30 AM
{tpc}, Howdy;

Have you tried or thought about the Ohio State Parks?
http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/
I used to live in Southeast Oh. and they've got some very nice places,
OR ... if free camping is more within your budget needs and you don't
mind boondocking, try the AEP ReCreation lands near McConnelsville,
Oh. Premit is required but it's FREE.
https://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/recland/
Just a few ideas that you can drive to in a day.

hankaye

JRTJH
09-28-2015, 06:36 AM
tpc,

Have you considered Traverse City? There is a great State Park campground right on the bay, but no full hookups. There are several private campgrounds in the area that do offer full hookups. KOA is just one of those choices.

If you plan in the next couple of weeks, the fall color season will be in "full swing". A trip through Sutton's Bay and around Lake Leelanau, or up the middle peninsula to Old Mission, or if you want to make a full day of it, the east shore up to Charlevoix and on to Petoskey/Harbor Springs and even to Mackinaw City.

If you wanted to take in the bridge and Mackinaw City, there are two campgrounds in MC with full hookups. If you haven't looked into Mill Creek Campground in Mackinaw City, a waterfront site on Lake Huron with a view of the bridge is $30 for full hookups after October 3. http://www.campmackinaw.com/home.htm

Tbristol
09-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Most campgrounds are open until the end of October here in Michigan. Halloween weekends at the campgrounds are the best. Camp sites decorated. Trick or treating. It's our favorite time to go. We don't have kids. Nor do we get trick or treaters at our house. So we enjoy it very much. We always do full hook ups so their still open that late in the year.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ken / Claudia
09-30-2015, 11:51 AM
I will go petty much year round. If you call camping and big game hunting at the same time. No parks just find a place that looks level. Next week deer, Oct thru Dec elk season. Some state parks here close for winter, most county parks close for winter. Some private parks close but, most are open year round. We have so much state or federal land to use for free as long as you bring water and power. When the snow gets over a foot deep I leave.

GaryWT
09-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Most campgrounds in New England close next weekend on Columbus Day. There are a few that stay open and others that are already closed. We have camped every weekend in Sept and have plans for the next 2 weekends and then hoping to get 2 more weekends in, we shall see.

{tpc}
10-02-2015, 06:01 AM
Thanks all for the comments. We still haven't figured out what to do yet, a lot of things with work/home/kids etc going on right now. Boy it sure got cold in a hurry around here though! Thankfully its not sustained, but starting to feel the urge to get the winterizing process going. My wife says I am worrying needlessly lol.

koko
10-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Our season becomes very risky by the end of October, although for the last few years we've taken October trips. It's so hard to call it quits too early, because winter is so long! With confidence in Mother Nature, we're heading to St. Louis mid-October to the end of October. We're originally from STL; and the fall colors in Missouri are almost as beautiful as they are in New England, they just happen a little later. Humidity and temperatures are perfect there in October, so we're hoping for a great last trip. It's not St. Louis that worries us - it's getting back home once we hit Wyoming!

mikell
10-10-2015, 05:02 AM
We're in South Haven this weekend 37 this morning and the fires warm. We have a small oil filled heater and electric blanket also a dump station at home so the camping ends when it's below freezing 24-7

bsmith0404
10-10-2015, 05:31 AM
When we lived in the Midwest we would go camping over Halloween. As already mentioned, many campgrounds go all out with decorations. We enjoyed a couple campgrounds near St Louis and the kids loved the Halloween events at Six Flags. Weather was still very nice there through Thanksgiving.

koko
10-10-2015, 10:12 PM
We'll be camping right next to Six Flags. They go crazy for Halloween and so does the campground. Fun.

ColoradoSooner
10-13-2015, 05:22 AM
We camp year-round here in Colorado. Many state parks stay open all year (with reduced services) and even a few NFS campgrounds remain open.

Camping in the off-season here is pretty awesome. There have been many times where we had the whole campground to ourselves.

And even though it always gets cold at night, the days are generally quite mild...even with snow on the ground!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_186814_0_769e8503e6ff205a105b8c07fd5080b7.jpg (http://s138.photobucket.com/user/ambers628/media/chalet%20chatfield_zpsrxpcq8ak.jpg.html)

cjelliott81
10-14-2015, 02:15 PM
Year round! We're going to the beach for Halloween.

Here's last year's Halloween camping trip.

randy69
10-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Living in southern califorina I don,t even know if my heater works any more hot hot and more hot in October running house air 24 7 our news said maybe rain and 85 degrees out side night time.

michael_h
10-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Here in Virginia for us it usually ends in June and begins in September :D