PDA

View Full Version : New Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel

archerr2002
09-27-2015, 04:44 AM
I just picked up a leftover 2015 2500 tradesman CTD. This is replacing my 06 ram 2500 with a Hemi. Looking forward to a lot of long pulls with this new beast.

Desert185
09-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Nice looking truck. A Trifecta tonneau?

archerr2002
09-27-2015, 07:08 AM
No, it is a full tilt. I actually had this cover on my 06 and it fit the new one like a glove. Cleaned it up and put some 303 on it and shazam it saved me $500 from buying a new one.

S4~Tapatalk

dm1401
09-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Congrats, they are a pulling machine, and so much more relaxing when towing, vs pulling with a gas motor. Enjoy.

Kickin It
09-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Good looking truck, I like the color. Wish I would have got the cummins.

RdRmr
09-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Congrats on the new truck, nice. I did the same in May. Stepped up to a SRW 3500 Laramie CCLB from an 08 2500. Here is hoping you have many trouble free miles ahead. Happy Campin.... Transplanted Buckeye on the west coast.

archerr2002
09-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys. I had blue for the last 20 years ( last 3 trucks ) so it was time for a different color. Loving this Cummins!

S4~Tapatalk

squeak93
09-29-2015, 04:20 AM
Grats on the purchase. I'm LOVING my truck. Identical to your but BLUE. "bouncey:

I can't believe I've never owned a Diesel before this. As much towing as I did with my last few trucks I'll honestly hate myself if I ever have to go back to a gas truck to pull. I can be mean to this thing (28-30 psi of boost is fun) and still get low 16's city driving (a little hwy in there, but not much).

Pulling our (new to us) 12k fifth wheel is a breeze too. Just ran the hills of hwy 65 in Branson, MO and it took it like a champ.

Desert185
09-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Grats on the purchase. I'm LOVING my truck. Identical to your but BLUE. "bouncey:

I can't believe I've never owned a Diesel before this. As much towing as I did with my last few trucks I'll honestly hate myself if I ever have to go back to a gas truck to pull. I can be mean to this thing (28-30 psi of boost is fun) and still get low 16's city driving (a little hwy in there, but not much).

Pulling our (new to us) 12k fifth wheel is a breeze too. Just ran the hills of hwy 65 in Branson, MO and it took it like a champ.

What kind of EGT's are you seeing while "running the hills of hwy 65"?

squeak93
09-29-2015, 01:57 PM
I have no clue....... I thought I had to have a tuner to see the EGT's??? Or is it avail on the EVIC on the tradesman?? Hell maybe I simply haven't played with it enough. I usually watch the boost, exhaust brake and 4 item disp (coolant, trans, oil pressure etc)

Bushman512000
10-01-2015, 02:10 AM
Is the tradesman the work truck line? I never seen one in Canada I have the Outdoorsman My Self and it is loaded with the toys You will enjoy the power of the CTD I have had a few others all CTD all 5er pullers good luck with Your new toy....Bushman:D

pga33
10-09-2015, 05:03 PM
The Tradesman is the very solid work truck.
I upgraded my 2012 Ram Lone Star 1500 Hemi 5.7 with a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie with the CTD. Night and day. I had a 200+ mile drive to pick up the new truck. On the way over to pick up the new truck, I was sad because I loved my reliable 1500. On the way back with the 2500, I wondered why I ever owned the 1500.
On our 1st trip with our travel trailer, I averaged 12 MPG over ~ 190 miles and that includes driving in rush hour traffic in a major city.

archerr2002
10-10-2015, 03:25 AM
The tradesman is basically an ST. A work truck to me is vinyl seats, rubber floor mat and power nothing. I have power everything, carpet, back up cam and satellite radio. I could have went 2 ways. A laramie 6.4 hemi or a tradesman 6.7CTD. I wanted the diesel so I skipped all the bells and whistles. That being said, this truck pulls like a monster compared to my old 06 2500 Hemi. The more I drive this truck the bigger the smile gets on my face.

JRTJH
10-10-2015, 04:06 AM
Here is the "official RAM chart" to compare the different trim levels, what's available and what's standard: http://www.ramtrucks.com/model-compare/detailed-chart/?modelYearCode=CUT201614#

Select the cab style, 4x2 or 4x4 and open the different categories to view what's on each truck trim level.

T3/T4 Hybrid
10-10-2015, 03:42 PM
The tradesman is basically an ST. A work truck to me is vinyl seats, rubber floor mat and power nothing. I have power everything, carpet, back up cam and satellite radio. I could have went 2 ways. A laramie 6.4 hemi or a tradesman 6.7CTD. I wanted the diesel so I skipped all the bells and whistles. That being said, this truck pulls like a monster compared to my old 06 2500 Hemi. The more I drive this truck the bigger the smile gets on my face.

Archerr, you sound like me. I skipped the bells and whistles on interior $$$ with the purchase of my new Ram this time. I focused on the pulling power and work concept. Cummins, 4x4, 3.73 gears and camper package was my main focus. The tradesman ST package was perfect and in my budget. The cloth seats are comfortable and the base carpet is just fine. The new Ram can tow circles around my previous 04 2500 model with the Hemi. :cool:

pga33
10-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Archerr, you sound like me. I skipped the bells and whistles on interior $$$ with the purchase of my new Ram this time. I focused on the pulling power and work concept. Cummins, 4x4, 3.73 gears and camper package was my main focus. The tradesman ST package was perfect and in my budget. The cloth seats are comfortable and the base carpet is just fine. The new Ram can tow circles around my previous 04 2500 model with the Hemi. :cool:

You sound like me. I skipped bells and whistles for years with my 1994 Mazda B2300. That is a very basic truck too, but it's done a great job for me over the last 21 years. Still runs R12 in the a/c. The interior is great; I've taken pretty good care of it over the years. It's getting hard to find parts for it since the old vehicles, in my part of the country, are difficult to find. Unfortunately, it can't tow a travel trailer. It's having some electrical issues. And my wife absolutely hates it, since she finds it uncomfortable.
So I got the Laramie. It's the kind of truck that can last me 10-15 years and as you all know, the Cummins is a durable engine. If my tastes change to something more elaborate, it's there. I always hated driving long distance in my B2300, now it's actually fun to go 500 miles. I didn't know what a ventilated seat was until I sat in one for the first time. My wife loves it. Therefore, I love it.

Cyncwby
10-14-2015, 08:40 PM
I installed a Banks boost and pyro gauges when I bought my '02 F-250 brand new. I honestly wouldn't tow without the pyro gauge, watch it all the time when pulling a hill. It really lets you know how hard your engine is working.

On the flats mine will show 600 deg. and when pulling a 6/7% grade it will get to 950-1000 deg. Then I kick it out of O/D and it runs up the hill at 55 mph @ 850-900 deg. If the new F-350 doesn't have the pyro I will be installing one.

sw342
10-15-2015, 08:13 AM
I installed a Banks boost and pyro gauges when I bought my '02 F-250 brand new. I honestly wouldn't tow without the pyro gauge, watch it all the time when pulling a hill. It really lets you know how hard your engine is working.

Unless you are going to delete and run a tuner there is no need for a pyro gauge anymore except for the coolness factor of running some gauge pods and giving you something to look at while driving. These new trucks are not going to let you grenade them. The computer will make the necessary adjustments. Enjoy the scenery....not the gauges.

hdxbonez
10-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Unless you are going to delete and run a tuner there is no need for a pyro gauge anymore except for the coolness factor of running some gauge pods and giving you something to look at while driving. These new trucks are not going to let you grenade them. The computer will make the necessary adjustments. Enjoy the scenery....not the gauges.

I agree as well. With the newer trucks incorporating exhaust brakes and regenerative emission systems, they are designed to tolerate much higher temperatures than in the past. The digital display on my Laramie lets me moniter water, oil, and trans temps, I'll let the computer worry about the rest......

kfxgreenie
10-15-2015, 12:01 PM

How did you get a 2500 CTD with the 3.73? The factory will not produce anything anything other than 3.42 in a SRW CTD truck, including 3500's. So did you do aftermarket? :confused: And what the heck is the camper package? I've seen that term used about, but have never seen it when building a truck. Is it the 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep?

Cyncwby
10-15-2015, 01:02 PM
Well you guys do what you want, I won't rely on a computer that may go belly up and you fry your engine. I'll still run a mechanical pyro gauge.

dcg9381
10-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Well you guys do what you want, I won't rely on a computer that may go belly up and you fry your engine. I'll still run a mechanical pyro gauge.

What is it that you think manages motors these days? (I'm kidding, of course)

No reason not to get a pyro gauge, but I completely trust mine as long as I'm within limits on towing... 800 ft/lbs is enough. 900 ft/lbs on the new ones...

Running a tuner, I'd also want an eyeball on stuff. New Rams have lots of configurable gauges... Just no EGT.

sw342
10-15-2015, 11:13 PM

If the computer goes belly up you will be parked on the side of the road. With the computer and torque management on these engines any idiot can drive them and not hurt them. Look at all the Freightliner Cascadia day cabs running around. Just basic gauges. No EGT, Trans temp or rear end temp, etc... They aren't blowing up running Donner pass everyday with the go pedal pushed all the way to the floor. On a truck left in stock configuration, the days of having to monitor an EGT gauge are gone. Save your money for some other cool accessory for your truck.

Ram189
10-16-2015, 08:25 AM
I have never understood everyone want to tune and modify anything built after 2011 or 12.

Vehicles now are built and engineered for very specific purposes. If you buy the right vehicle/setup for what you are towing you won't ever need to touch it.

As a Dodger service dealer I cannot tell you how many trucks we had come in that the turbos or injectors were fried on and burnt the motors up.
First thing FCA has you do is pull the computer data and see if the calibration on the engine has been changed. Yes all that earmarked when changed and changed back. Every claim that had been changed immediately got declined. Usually 3 or 4 a year.

If you argued the point they would send out a Field Service Engineer to explain to you exactly how they found out you had a tuner and had modified the vehicle.

Trucks are not race cars there is no need to modify a correctly built vehicle now a days.

T3/T4 Hybrid
10-16-2015, 11:06 AM
How did you get a 2500 CTD with the 3.73? The factory will not produce anything anything other than 3.42 in a SRW CTD truck, including 3500's. So did you do aftermarket? :confused: And what the heck is the camper package? I've seen that term used about, but have never seen it when building a truck. Is it the 5th Wheel / Gooseneck Towing Prep?

Well I need to change out my sig and better read the build sheet. It comes with 3.73 normally but with the cummins option that gearing is changed out to 3.42. :banghead: But so far the only thing I have added to this truck was a set of stock Ram mud guards. The camper package is the Gooseneck / 5th Wheel towing prep sorry for calling it just a camper package. But its well worth the extra dollars if you are later thinking about up grading to a 5th wheel like I prob will. The link below shows what it looks like.

http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm

kfxgreenie
10-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Well I need to change out my sig and better read the build sheet. It comes with 3.73 normally but with the cummins option that gearing is changed out to 3.42. :banghead: But so far the only thing I have added to this truck was a set of stock Ram mud guards. The camper package is the Gooseneck / 5th Wheel towing prep sorry for calling it just a camper package. But its well worth the extra dollars if you are later thinking about up grading to a 5th wheel like I prob will. The link below shows what it looks like.

http://www.ramgunner.com/ram5thwheel.htm

Hey we all learn new things everyday, they do make that confusing. I have a 14 2500 CTD, didn't find one with the Gooseneck towing prep, and all other options i was looking for. I settled on one without the tow prep and instead installed a B&W turnover and run the Andersen Ultimate Aluminum at 32 LB's it is a good setup for myself, having broke my back and being fused from S1-L2,easy in and out. :cool: The 3.42's do just fine for what i have done so far. Over 15K with the CTL, Trailer, and Mower. Truck thinks the little 11'000 5er is a piece of cake.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_187277_0_e54d63233ef3e9d9681ffad5f414e350.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/kfxgreenie/media/image.jpg2_1.jpg.html)