PDA

View Full Version : carbon 33 winterize hot water tank

Carbon33
09-17-2015, 07:20 AM
The wife and I have camped 12 nights in our new 2016 Carbon 33 and really like it with many more nights planned through fall. I am starting to look at how to winterize before winter gets here. I have installed the Camco bypass valve on the pump. My question is the water heater only has 1 valve on the bottom hose. My past campers have always had a valve at the top and bottom with one in the middle to get the RV Antifreeze to bypass the hot water tank. Will the one valve be enough to winterize properly? Or am I missing something?
Thank for your help just want to do it right.

Festus2
09-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Will the one valve be enough to winterize properly? Or am I missing something?
Thank for your help just want to do it right.

Carbon33 -
Our '08 Cougar has only one bypass valve for the HW tank. You'll be fine with the single bypass.

bsmith0404
09-17-2015, 07:42 AM
Every RV I've owned has only had 1 valve. You actually confused me with having more than one. The main thing is to pull the bottom plug to drain it. I always leave the plug out. If you start adding antifreeze and it is coming out of the HW, then you have a problem with the bypass, if not then GTG.

Carbon33
09-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the replies, but how does just one valve keep the rv antifreeze from filling up the hot water tank?

hankpage
09-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Actually there are two valves, the upper outlet has a check-valve to prevent water from returning to the heater. You are fine with just turning the one you can see.

JRTJH
09-17-2015, 08:49 AM
The valve is on the "inlet" of the water tank. When it is in the "open" position, it routes water into the water heater (bypasses the vertical pipe) where it is heated and delivered to the coach from the top outlet. When the valve is in the "winterize" position, it diverts water away from the inlet and into the connecting (vertical) piping to "bypass" the water heater. The upper "outlet" of the water tank has a "one way valve" so water can only flow "out" (not be fed back into) the tank.

Essentially, the single valve and one way valve replace the three valves that were used in the "old winterization system".... The one "drawback" to the "single valve system" is the "cold water purge" that occurs in the shower when the "trickle valve" on the shower head is used. That's caused by a "backflow of cold water" which bypasses the one way valve and forces unheated water into the hot water line.