PDA

View Full Version : My hideout 24 RLSW and my HD fAt boy

Jeggs
09-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Hey there, I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 and just bought a new 2015 Hideout 24 RLSWE and wanted to know
if I can put a carrier on the back that will hold a 700# HD

Javi
09-13-2015, 05:00 PM
No...

Well, not for long anyway...

That bumper is 22ga Hot Roll carbon steel.. It barely supports the spare

theeyres
09-14-2015, 07:44 PM
You can always weld the carrier to the frame and not the bumper. But be aware of weights. 700# behind the trailer may well throw off you hitch weight and make for an unstable ride. Not saying it will, just saying to figure that in to the equation. Carrying capacity of your trailer is 1700#. You will also probably be way overloaded once you load up the trailer, add propane, batteries, water, etc...

Jaychis
09-29-2015, 08:48 AM
You do not want to add that much weight to the back of the trailer. Having a large amount of weight to the rear of the trailers wheels will not give you proper trailer-weight distribution. This can set you up for severe trailer sway despite the TV capabilities.
Keep hitch-weight percentage in mind. If hitch-weight percentage is down around 10 percent or less, it can cause unstable trailer behavior. Keep the % to 12% or more. To figure it out you need to weigh the trailer. This link is helpful:https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx
Example:
Total trailer weight 6200 pounds
Hitch weight 560 pounds
Hitch weight percentage: 560 / 6200 = 9% - NOT GOOD The only remedy is to move weight forward in the trailer.

I just had a friend roll their 30' TT and truck two days ago. The TV was a GMC 2500 that was more than capable of towing the trailer and had properly set-up anti sway bars. They had trailer sway as a bus was passing them and the trailer and truck rolled. The issue was the fresh water tank was to the rear of the trailers axles and it was full of water (along with everything else stored at the rear of the trailer). The added weight to the rear of the trailer threw off the hitch-weight %.