PDA

View Full Version : Question on propane quick connect

Javi
09-11-2015, 03:52 AM
I've never used the quick propane quick connect, never needed it... But now I have this wild hair to boil up some shrimp and/or crawfish and I'm wondering if the propane line for the quick connect is regulated or unregulated.. The burner I'm looking at has 10psig regulator and if the line is regulated to 11" of water it will not work and I'll need to hook to a bottle. Trailer is across town at the repair shop so I can't just go look..

Anybody got the 411:D

jsmith948
09-11-2015, 04:03 AM
On our Cougar, the propane quick connect is downstream of the regulator. Had to re-plum the grill to get rid of its regulator.

SteveC7010
09-11-2015, 04:19 AM
I've never used the quick propane quick connect, never needed it... But now I have this wild hair to boil up some shrimp and/or crawfish and I'm wondering if the propane line for the quick connect is regulated or unregulated.. The burner I'm looking at has 10psig regulator and if the line is regulated to 11" of water it will not work and I'll need to hook to a bottle. Trailer is across town at the repair shop so I can't just go look..

Anybody got the 411:D
It is definitely regulated. The only unregulated piping in the entire trailer should be the pigtails that connect to the tanks.

SLIMSHADIE
09-11-2015, 04:20 AM
X2 its regulated.

jkohler70
09-11-2015, 04:21 AM
I have the quick connect, and on every RV I've owned, the regulator is located near the tanks.

SteveC7010
09-11-2015, 04:35 AM
Javi, food for thought here...

We dry camp a lot, so we lean on propane a bit more than some. When I set up an outside kitchen in the enclosed EZup, I have two stoves and a propane lantern all running off a 25# bottle using a Coleman power stick. Puts the lantern up high enough to be useful without trying to hang it up somewhere safe. And it is always handy to have some extra propane available.

There's a home brew mount in the bed of the truck to safely carry the bottle upright as they are supposed to be.

It may be to your advantage to use a separate bottle.

chuckster57
09-11-2015, 06:06 AM
I also carry a third cylinder. Mine is 7 gal so I can swap out an empty on the trailer if I have to. I too use a tree as I run a camp chef 3 burner, camp chef oven and lantern at the top of the tree. My old Jayco didn't have the quick connect, current rig does but I don't bother as some places we camp would require more than 20' of hose to use anything and I'm not a fan of tripping hazards.

Desert185
09-11-2015, 06:50 AM
I like the fact that the QD connector is there so I don't have to carry a bottle from home. 60# of propane is more than enough for our needs.

I converted my Q to no regulator and use it on the road with a long, QD hose and at home with a regulated hose that has a QD on the Q end.

Hoses available from CW or Walmart online.

Javi
09-11-2015, 06:52 AM
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought... I've got several 5 gal bottles and a good truck bed bottle carrier so I'm good to go in that department..

We love the Cajun boil but the place we have been going to for years has gotten into the less for more groove and load us up on corn, taters and sausage but give less and less shrimp or crawdads. So we're going to the fish market and getting our own ingredients.. :D

I had everything except the burner since we used to do regular shrimp boils at the sticks & bricks..

byrdr1
09-11-2015, 07:20 AM
On our Cougar, the propane quick connect is downstream of the regulator. Had to re-plum the grill to get rid of its regulator.
I just re-plumbed my Weber baby Q, so I could use the on-board quick connect. I had ordered the supplies from amazon and watched several U-tube videos. Then once I took the regular off the grill I had to go and get a 1/8 to 1/4 brass reducer(were the regulator was on the grill) to use the quick connect & hose and the on-board quick connect. It all worked well and the flames seemed to be better than the bottle flames I had.
randy

Desert185
09-11-2015, 07:40 AM
Thanks, that's kind of what I thought... I've got several 5 gal bottles and a good truck bed bottle carrier so I'm good to go in that department..

We love the Cajun boil but the place we have been going to for years has gotten into the less for more groove and load us up on corn, taters and sausage but give less and less shrimp or crawdads. So we're going to the fish market and getting our own ingredients.. :D

I had everything except the burner since we used to do regular shrimp boils at the sticks & bricks..

I'm "payload challenged" compared to you, so no lugging around extra 20#'ers for me.

Speaking of shrimp...if you're ever in San Leon between Houston and Galveston, go to Gilhooley's. Best shrimp and oysters I've ever had. Cash only, no kids. Gawd almighty good! :thumbsup:

B-O-B'03
09-18-2015, 01:12 PM
I added a "T" to the gas line where the QD was for the outside kitchen and modified my Weber Q with a QD connector and no regulator.

I picked up a 10' Camco QD M/F gas line, from amazon, for the Q and have a 3rd 20# tank if I need it.

It all works great and I'll bet you could modify the burner of your boiler too.

-Brian

Chippewa93
09-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Where did you purchase your "T" for the quick connect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-O-B'03
09-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Where did you purchase your "T" for the quick connect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is just a standard, black iron T, from Home Depot (can't remember if it was 1/2 inch, but I think so).

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8756/17420157748_22110312e3_z.jpg

I bought an extra quick connect fitting and put it and the original into the T, put a nipple in the other side of the T to connect it to the fitting the original fitting was installed in.

I considered using a longer nipple, but I kind of like the fact they are under the frame, instead of sticking out.

-Brian

roadglide
10-07-2015, 05:43 PM
I used oxygen quit connect and 15 ft of oxy hose and fittings with barbed ends i have the crimp tools left over from my welding days , It looks very clean on the webbed grill.

Chippewa93
10-14-2015, 01:46 AM
I installed one that was a single post, vertically (think paper towel holder) in the corner. I'd take a picture but it's in storage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk