PDA

View Full Version : Center hub cap

Pulln
09-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Iam looking t replace the center hub. I know trekwood has them but at 30 bux + shipping it is hard to swallow. Here are the specs: 4.875 - Stainless Steel - w/Plug.

If you know of a good new or used resource I'd appreciate the lead.

Thanks in advance.

Pulln
09-10-2015, 01:04 PM
As seen in the before and after photos. I polished my wheels and one of the center hubs was so corroded I had to get a little rough with it.

bsmith0404
09-10-2015, 01:28 PM
I was advised by a wheel manufacturer to not use stainless steel center caps on aluminum wheels. When they start to corrode it spreads like a cancer to the wheel. They said to only use the plastic ones. You can call Sendel wheel company to order them. Not sure on the price.

JRTJH
09-10-2015, 02:16 PM
I just did a "Google Search" for "RV wheel center hub" and got 766,000 hits. It looks like the best places to "narrow the field" would be Etrailer.com and Trailerandtruckparts.com.

Pricing ranges from 4 for $12 all the way to $80 each, depending on what you want. If you're near a "farm supply store" like Tractor Supply, they usually have them in stock.

Pulln
09-10-2015, 03:41 PM
I was advised by a wheel manufacturer to not use stainless steel center caps on aluminum wheels. When they start to corrode it spreads like a cancer to the wheel. They said to only use the plastic ones. You can call Sendel wheel company to order them. Not sure on the price.

Yeah dissimilar metals really shouldn't be used next to each other like that and I can definitely confirm the corrosion. Two of them were really bad. If I can find some decent looking replacements I'll swap them all out.

Pulln
09-10-2015, 03:44 PM
I just did a "Google Search" for "RV wheel center hub" and got 766,000 hits. It looks like the best places to "narrow the field" would be Etrailer.com and Trailerandtruckparts.com.

Pricing ranges from 4 for $12 all the way to $80 each, depending on what you want. If you're near a "farm supply store" like Tractor Supply, they usually have them in stock.

I've been searching ebay and the interwebs a little. I think I checked etrailer.com already but will revist them and will defintely check out trailerandtruckparts.com.

My biggest concern is buying something and having it not fit and this is my first rodeo when it comes to this sort of thing and sincerely appreciat the tips.

hankaye
09-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Pulln, Howdy;

I've got 1 loose hub cap for my truck either the holes in the wheel hubs is a
tad different (most likely), or the caps are slightly different.
It fits some of the wheels holes OK, but in a few of the others it wants and
makes a rattling sound when I drive slow and there are small bumps in the
road. The cure was 2 or 3 wraps of electrical tape and re-install. All quiet
on the home front :). The tape doesn't show and no noes the wiser...
Just so you start tearing your hair out trying to figure out where the ting-
ting-ting sound is coming from.

hankaye

bobbecky
09-10-2015, 09:26 PM
If the center hubs are actually stainless steel, the only corrosion that might occur would be the aluminum wheel. It is possible that some cheaper center hubs are just chrome plated steel, and is the plating is also cheap, then, yes, they will react with the aluminum wheel. Three years on our original stainless steel center hubs, and not even the slightest appearance of any corrosion.

SteveC7010
09-11-2015, 03:27 AM
All four of my center caps are showing signs of rust. They'll come off and stay off. If I can find some reasonably priced plastic ones in either chrome or black, I will replace them. Otherwise, I rather like being able to eyeball the hubs.

chuckster57
09-11-2015, 06:17 AM
Powder coat "bouncey:

I do have all the equipment :cool:

My old TV had prismatic black steps. I also did my Jayco hub covers using prismatic black, they sparkled as I drove. Lots of my Under hood stuff on current TV is powdercoated.

Feel free to have a look:
http://s420.photobucket.com/user/chuckster57/library/Powdercoating

Pulln
09-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Powder coat "bouncey:

I do have all the equipment :cool:

My old TV had prismatic black steps. I also did my Jayco hub covers using prismatic black, they sparkled as I drove. Lots of my Under hood stuff on current TV is powdercoated.

Feel free to have a look:
http://s420.photobucket.com/user/chuckster57/library/Powdercoating

love the powder coating. I think I'd go overboard with it and powder coat the dog and cat :) Wish I had the time to get it done to the wheels.