PDA

View Full Version : Question about California Non-Commercial Class A Skills Test

FlyingChief
09-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Mods - feel free to move if this isn't the right place.

I'm preparing to get my non-commercial class A license. I'm trying to nail down what specific skills will be on the skills test portion of the exam. What maneuvers will I be expected to do?

I have reviewed all of the posts I can find on this page and others and what I've been able to figure out - so far - is:

- I know I'll have to demonstrate a standard pre-trip inspection

- I will have to do straight-line backing for some distance (some have said 100', some have said 200'). Once you're going straight, what's an extra 100' or so?

- I will have to do an 'alley dock' - 90 degrees back into a simulated 'campsite' on the drivers side

Most writers then go to the street driving portion of the test, leaving me with the impression that the only two skills demonstrated are the straight back and the 90 degree.

The CDL test adds a third skill that may be either offset backing, parallel parking drivers side, or parallel parking blind side. But no one who writes about the skills test for the non-commercial mentions having to do these.

So....my question is specific to the non-commercial class a skills test.....what do I need to be prepared for? I don't want to waste my time practicing skills that I won't have to demonstrate (or won't ever use!).

hankaye
09-10-2015, 04:49 PM
FlyingChief, Howdy;

Have you called the testers office and asked them? About the only
method that I know that eliminates the guess work.

hankaye

FlyingChief
09-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Hankaye. Yes, I've tried three different times and haven't been able to get past the receptionist that answers the phone and can't answer questions.

2016 Raptor 355TS
2011 Ford F-350 CC LB SRW 4x4

chuckster57
09-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Most likely the only way your going to get a definite answer is like hankaye said, talking to a tester.

You might want to schedule an appointment using the DMV website. I believe you can choose the reason for your visit, and that way there won't be any doubts.

hankaye
09-11-2015, 05:53 AM
FlyingChief, Howdy;

Thanks, Hankaye. Yes, I've tried three different times and haven't been able to get past the receptionist that answers the phone and can't answer questions.

2016 Raptor 355TS
2011 Ford F-350 CC LB SRW 4x4

Then go down there and talk to them in person. Added plus is you can
"eyeball" the testing area and if it's not locked, walk it to become familiar
with it.

hankaye

chuckster57
09-11-2015, 06:01 AM
FlyingChief, Howdy;

Then go down there and talk to them in person. Added plus is you can
"eyeball" the testing area and if it's not locked, walk it to become familiar
with it.

hankaye

Most Ca. DMV offices wont let you just walk in. You can but your first stop is the appointment desk. They ask you what your business is and then schedule you for a particular "window" dedicated to that service. Some offices are obviously busier than others. In my town a "walk in" will most likely have to wait 45-90 minutes and that's why I use the on-line appointment portal.

sw342
09-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Most Ca. DMV offices wont let you just walk in. You can but your first stop is the appointment desk. They ask you what your business is and then schedule you for a particular "window" dedicated to that service. Some offices are obviously busier than others. In my town a "walk in" will most likely have to wait 45-90 minutes and that's why I use the on-line appointment portal.

That is true for most DMV offices, except the commercial ones. For example the one is West Sac is wide open after the morning rush. Since he will have to take his test at the commercial office he might as well go in there and talk to someone and get a good look at the obstacle course. Just don't go too late after work. They close every day at 4pm because most test will take a couple hours to complete, so their last appointment is earlier than others.

hankaye
09-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Howdy All;

:banghead:, forgot we were talkin' about the State in the bottom Left
corner... :banghead: , :banghead:

hankaye

C130
09-12-2015, 05:18 PM
There's a long detailed thread about this somewhere. It discussed mostly Texas and California and was started back in the Spring I believe. I'm not sure these have the info you need but here are a couple;

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19205&highlight=Texas+class+license
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7830&highlight=Texas+class+license

FlyingChief
12-18-2015, 11:16 AM
Thought I would check back in with an update to make the thread complete:

Finally finished getting my California Non-Commercial Class A license yesterday. Two parts to the process:

Part 1: Made an appointment and went to the local DMV to take the written test(s). I was required to take the "Trailer and Housecar" test AND retake the class C (car) and Class M (motorcycle) written. I also had to complete the medical questionnaire. In and out in about 45 minutes with the appointment. Staff not very familiar with the Non-commercial A and it took a bit of doing to get the learner's permit to come out the right way without me losing my M.

AFTER you have your Learner's Permit (good for 2 years from date of issue), you can call to make an appointment for the drive test. Couple of important points. You can't set this up on line - it must be done with a phone call. Also, they are booked a long way out. I called in the first week of October and the soonest appointment I could get was December 17. Yesterday they told me if I had to retake, the next appointment they could give me was in March. Third, since you're technically on a Learner's Permit, you are only supposed to drive with someone with the correct license with you. Some have reported that it wasn't checked, I decided to be safe. It was a pain, but I found someone to go with me to the DMV. Finally, they only give the Class A drive test at a limited number of DMVs. May not be your local one.

Part 2: Showed up at the El Centro DMV for my scheduled appointment (first one of the day at 0730). First thing at the desk they needed to see my permit, reg and insurance for truck AND reg and insurance for the trailer, and they wanted to see the driver with me and their license. Ran them all through the computer and I was assigned an examiner. The test proceeded almost exactly as described in the "Trailer and Housecar" manual. Pre-trip first. She had the pre-trip check sheet right out of the T & H manual - not the much longer and more complicated CDL pretrial (although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt). Then we set off to drive. Did about 20 minutes of street driving and arrived at the training yard for the local CDL school where we did the skills tests. Again, right out of the book - no secret. Straight line back, 90 degree alley dock, and right turn around a cone. Then back on the street for another 20 minutes or so. Pulled back in at the DMV at about 9:15. She said congratulations - go see Window 10. The good news is they don't expect perfection. You're allowed some errors, although there are some critical errors that are automatic fails. I made classic mistakes that us experienced drivers do.....when pulling up to the very first stop sign, I stopped where I could see. The problem is that was past the stop line on the pavement. The correct method is to stop at the line, then ease forward until you can see. I also failed to signal once or twice. But again, perfection isn't expected.

Inside, I again found the staff very friendly and helpful. They confessed that I was only the 2nd Non-Commercial A applicant they have seen in all of 2015. So it took a couple of minutes, a couple of supervisors, and a check of the instruction manual before I was finished. But I'm done and it is over. The only thing required after this is to keep a current medical questionnaire on file every 2 years.

Yes, it was a bureaucratic pain in the butt, but at the end of the day, other than the hassle of finding a licensed driver to go with me, it wasn't that bad. Just remember that it doesn't happen quickly - especially scheduling the drive test.

Now that I've gone through it, I'll be glad to answer questions if anyone has them. If you're somewhere near the Coachella Valley, I'll also be glad to go with you to DMV if we can work the schedule out. I know it can be a pain to find a licensed driver to go along. Just drop me a PM.

Jim & DJ
12-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Congrats on getting through all the required items.

Now go enjoy......Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

:)

larry337
12-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Interesting. Wonder how long it will take other states to follow suit. So I'm curious, I have a CDL with all endorsements, in CA would I also need some kind of RV endorsement? And congratulations on passing your test.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

hankaye
12-18-2015, 05:54 PM
FlyingChief, Howdy;

Congratulations!!! Gave yourself a Christmas present!
Thanks for the follow-up. Now you can stop acting like a dog trying to
crap after eating the carpet, tacks and all .... :rolleyes:

hankaye

jsmith948
12-19-2015, 06:06 AM
Interesting. Wonder how long it will take other states to follow suit. So I'm curious, I have a CDL with all endorsements, in CA would I also need some kind of RV endorsement? And congratulations on passing your test.

Your Ohio CDL would be recognized in CA. I carry a California class A cdl and it qualifies me to tow a 5er above 15000#.

old timer
12-19-2015, 06:51 AM
Don't you just love this state? First you have to take the tests over for everything then find a guy to go with you to get the PERMIT what a load of crap. I admire you for taking the time to get your license but The hoops you went through were rediclious. (sp)
So you ride a motorcycle and you need a license to ride. I get that but you first need a permit. How do you get the bike there for the driving test Who in there right mind would ride on the back so you get the license. California is so stupid. I get it if you never drove and so the permit is ok but if you have a license already you should just go in pass the test and thats it. What? you can't take the driving on the same day is crap.. Like you have nothing better to do than come to DMV and hang out. This is the reason people don't bother getting things like this.
You are a bigger man than me.:)

sw342
12-19-2015, 09:28 AM
For anyone in CA that has to do this do not go to a regular DMV office. Go to the commercial location. The appointment is still a couple weeks out, but not two months. The skills test are done right in their yard. No driving to another offsite location. Drive test is like 20 minutes total. Mornings are the busiest. Go after lunch. Appointments are a couple hours. Most people fail the pre-trip, so it is possible to drive down there and wait and get right in because someone failed in the beginning and now the examiner has nothing to do for 1.5 hours. Since you are not doing air brakes your appointment will go faster.

roadglide
12-19-2015, 03:35 PM
How much is Cal going to charge for the test. I agree that Cal has a lot of crap going on . I'm thinking of just staying out of there and spend my money elsewhere.

JRTJH
12-19-2015, 05:08 PM
roadglide,

If you're properly licensed in your home state, then you're legal in every state. California (as all other states) recognizes the licensing regulations of every state, so if you're good at home, you're good in California.

That does not apply to double towing, speed limits, other laws of the road (like riding in trailers, etc, just to licensing.

homer3
12-20-2015, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure I understand all the attached post on this. I inquired about this myself within the last couple of years here in CA. Yes front desk at DMV does not seem to be sure of things. I have a pamphlet here at the house, Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook", DMV State of California. Page 11 is titled "Recreational Trailer Endorsement".

"A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

. There are no fees unless your license expires within six months.
. You will take a law test for noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
. You are NOT required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
. You are NOT required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
. No other test are required.

If anyone has anything different please advise. THX Homer

chuckster57
12-21-2015, 05:26 AM
What your reading is correct. If the GVWR of the fifth wheel is 15,001 or greater, then you need the class A non commercial.

Not used for hire means your not using/towing it for making money.

jsmith948
12-21-2015, 05:30 AM
You are correct. You need a class A license if your towed vehicle has a GVWR of 15,001# or more. You need, at least, the RV endorsement if your trailer's GVWR is between 10,001# and 15,000#. In my case, my class 'A' CDL covers all of the above, however. I must have a valid 'medical card' on file (must be renewed every 2 yrs). Our trailer has a GVWR of 10,070#. I will be getting the RV endorsement and letting my class A go, since I no longer drive the big rigs. That way, I won't have the hassle of the medical card/questionaire.

roadglide
12-21-2015, 07:28 AM
You are correct. You need a class A license if your towed vehicle has a GVWR of 15,001# or more. You need, at least, the RV endorsement if your trailer's GVWR is between 10,001# and 15,000#. In my case, my class 'A' CDL covers all of the above, however. I must have a valid 'medical card' on file (must be renewed every 2 yrs). Our trailer has a GVWR of 10,070#. I will be getting the RV endorsement and letting my class A go, since I no longer drive the big rigs. That way, I won't have the hassle of the medical card/questionaire. I let my class A go this year for the reason of a expensive medical exam and I haven't used it in 25 years .

FlyingChief
12-21-2015, 03:52 PM

Nope....your CDL covers all other classes.

FlyingChief
12-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Don't you just love this state? First you have to take the tests over for everything then find a guy to go with you to get the PERMIT what a load of crap. I admire you for taking the time to get your license but The hoops you went through were rediclious. (sp)
So you ride a motorcycle and you need a license to ride. I get that but you first need a permit. How do you get the bike there for the driving test Who in there right mind would ride on the back so you get the license. California is so stupid. I get it if you never drove and so the permit is ok but if you have a license already you should just go in pass the test and thats it. What? you can't take the driving on the same day is crap.. Like you have nothing better to do than come to DMV and hang out. This is the reason people don't bother getting things like this.
You are a bigger man than me.:)

Thanks, Oldtimer. The CA Motorcycle learner's permit is the only permit that doesn't require you to ride with someone else with the license. You just can't haul a passenger on your bike until you have the full license.

FlyingChief
12-21-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm not sure I understand all the attached post on this. I inquired about this myself within the last couple of years here in CA. Yes front desk at DMV does not seem to be sure of things. I have a pamphlet here at the house, Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook", DMV State of California. Page 11 is titled "Recreational Trailer Endorsement".

"A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

. There are no fees unless your license expires within six months.
. You will take a law test for noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
. You are NOT required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
. You are NOT required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
. No other test are required.

If anyone has anything different please advise. THX Homer

You're right. Until your 5er has a GVWR over 15k. That's when the 'endorsement' isn't enough and you have to go get the NonCommercial Class A license. That's also explained in the Trailer and Housecar booklet. The Non-Commercial A requires knowledge test, Health Questionnaire, and Driving Test.