PDA

View Full Version : tank vent extension

Stew
09-09-2015, 09:12 AM
Has anyone extended their tank roof vent pipe and reinstalled the cap? When I flush the toilet i get a quick whiff of the black tank both though the bathroom fan vent if open or the front a/c if it's running. Why they installed the tank vent so close to an opening is beyond me. it seems like the caps aren't high enough into the breeze to allow the gases to dissipate and instead for a moment stay close to the roof and enter through those openings. will definitely keep height below max for traveling. only other fix i can think of is to close bathroom vent while flushing or turn a/c on max to close outside air intake until gases move on.

Desert185
09-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Stinks before you flush and stinks after you flush. Hard to imagine. :D

The extension would have to extend pretty far into the air to be effective.

I don't know what to tell you.

hankpage
09-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Installing one of those "weather vane type" extensions may help with the open roof vent but as for the A/C?????? I don't believe that RV A/C units are designed to bring in make-up air .... they only recirculate inside air. The tape sealing around your A/C ductwork may have openings that are allowing odors in. Pull the face plate and look for holes in tape or missing pieces.

Pull Toy
09-09-2015, 01:42 PM
+1 for HANKPAGE! Either that or there's a possibility your vent pipe is plugged.