PDA

View Full Version : Suburban gas burner assembly replacement

KenP
08-25-2015, 01:26 PM
I have a new RV with a 4-gal Suburban gas water heater, an SW model. It appears these are made with an orifice good to 4500 feet. I usually travel at higher altitudes and have learned that I need to replace the burner assembly with a larger orifice opening. (At 8 to 10,000 feet, the flame burns yellow, goes out and creates soot). It looks easy to replace, but has anyone replaced this before. I don't want to make a mistake or break anything. Thanks, ken

shov
08-25-2015, 02:02 PM
I haven't so no help. but I'm sure with the vast amount of experience on this forum, someone will be able to give you a hint or two. I like searching YouTube for self help projects. It's amazing what you can find out there

chuckster57
08-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Are you sure it operates just fine at lower elevations? I have taken more than one trailer up above 8,000 feet with zero issues.

It takes very little obstruction in the burn tube to cause the issue your seeing. I would take the burner tube off and check for any obstructions first, and if its clear, the orifice is simply screwed into the assembly coming out of the regulator.

To remove the burn tube, simply look for the 1/4" screw that holds it on. Most likely one on the top of the port where the flame would be.

KenP
08-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info. The original burner is (was) fine at low elevations but, not higher up. As I mentioned, at 8000 to 10000 feet, the flame would be yellow and lift off the end of burner assembly and then finally go out, numerous times. Back at about 5200 feet it worked just fine. I ordered the high altitude burner assembly, # 010844, and just installed it. A fairly easy job, unscrewing the burner nut and then the gas insert fixture, all with a 1/2 inch wrench. It worked fine at home altitude of 3900 feet. We will see how it does higher up. I will keep you posted. By the way, there is no sleeve to adjust air intake on the burner assembly.

jimmy77
09-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Hey Ken, I was looking for the same info as I am heading west in the summer of 2016. From what I have read to date, the orifice is smaller because the air is thinner. Did you come to the same conclusion.

JIMMY77

JRTJH
09-10-2015, 05:00 AM
Hey Ken, I was looking for the same info as I am heading west in the summer of 2016. From what I have read to date, the orifice is smaller because the air is thinner. Did you come to the same conclusion.

JIMMY77

We just returned from an extended trip through Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and Idaho. We never had any issue with the gas burner in the water heater, refrigerator, furnace, oven/range or with the propane grill. We camped at altitudes up to 10,800 ft. If I were you, I wouldn't make any alterations (assuming your appliances work properly at the current time and location). For a "one time trip" just make accommodations if things don't work, and consider any repairs once you return (if you plan to camp at altitude again).

Based on my experiences "years ago" camping at high altitudes and this current experience, I don't think you'll have any issues.

I believe Ken's problem is unique to his appliances/regulator and not a common issue with "all propane appliances" since very few members who camp at high altitudes have reported any issue at all.