PDA

View Full Version : Can I hook up a battery charger while on shore power

bigbluejmc
08-19-2015, 07:22 AM
I like to hook up a high amp charger while on shore power, should I remove the battery cables or can I keep the battery on line?

Will it damage the RV charger if I keep the battery on line?

Thanks

SteveC7010
08-19-2015, 07:38 AM
I like to hook up a high amp charger while on shore power, should I remove the battery cables or can I keep the battery on line?

Will it damage the RV charger if I keep the battery on line?

Thanks
Your onboard convertor is a battery charger. If you also connected your high amp charger to the battery, it might or might not cause some problems in the convertor.

If you want to do this, I am guessing it would be for a fairly short period of time. In that case, I would recommend disconnecting the battery from the trailer before you connect the high amp charger. When you are done, remove the charger and reconnect the battery. It is best to disconnect the ground side of the battery first.

While you have the battery disconnected from the trailer, it would be wise not to try to use too much 12vdc in the trailer. The convertor can only produce so much amperage by itself.

Situations like this are ideal for having a battery disconnect switch on your rig. As I have said before, if you have two batteries, get a switch that will do A, B, A+B, and Off.

bigbluejmc
08-19-2015, 07:43 AM
"Situations like this are ideal for having a battery disconnect switch on your rig. As I have said before, if you have two batteries, get a switch that will do A, B, A+B, and Off."

Will the battery disconnect switch that came with my RES327 work?

SteveC7010
08-19-2015, 07:46 AM
"Situations like this are ideal for having a battery disconnect switch on your rig. As I have said before, if you have two batteries, get a switch that will do A, B, A+B, and Off."

Will the battery disconnect switch that came with my RES327 work?
Without seeing your switch, it is not possible to answer your question.

bigbluejmc
08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
Without seeing your switch, it is not possible to answer your question.

It is the original manufacturer switch. When I set it to OFF, the only thing that work are the slide outs. No lights or stereo or CO detector.

SteveC7010
08-19-2015, 07:55 AM
It is the original manufacturer switch. When I set it to OFF, the only thing that work are the slide outs. No lights or stereo or CO detector.
Since Keystone has used a number of different switches for this, I still can't answer your question. Sometimes they use a on-off switch for a single battery and others they might use a two battery switch with only one battery connected.

If you can post a pic of the switch, that would help one of us identify it. If you can see manufacturer info, especially part number, you may be able to look it up online.

And if it has A, B, A+B, OFF on it, it's a two battery switch.

bigbluejmc
08-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Since Keystone has used a number of different switches for this, I still can't answer your question. Sometimes they use a on-off switch for a single battery and others they might use a two battery switch with only one battery connected.

If you can post a pic of the switch, that would help one of us identify it. If you can see manufacturer info, especially part number, you may be able to look it up online.

And if it has A, B, A+B, OFF on it, it's a two battery switch.

I figure it was best to play it safe and disconnected the battery. My RV has an ON/OFF lever switch labeled Battery Disconnect and a single batt. When off all DC functions are inhibited including the slide outs even if you have shore power on.