PDA

View Full Version : New Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel W/ Aisin Trans.

mybluox
08-15-2015, 07:57 PM
I'm looking at buying the title vehicle. I tow a 2008 Raptor 3812 @ around 15K.

I would like to know if anyone owns the titled vehicle and if so what is your mileage, both towing and not. What do you like about it and what do you hate about it?

Thank you in advance,

Jeff

gtsum2
08-16-2015, 04:12 AM
I have a 2014 3500 without Aisin and tow a fuzion 345 chrome. Weight is between 15k and 16500 depending on if quads r in the garage. Did 2700 trip from east coast to Midwest and back through mountains. Averaged 10mpg entire trip. Was down to 7 hitting 40mph cross/head wind in Indiana. Got up to almost 13 in Illinois with a tail wind. Over 4000 miles since April and the average is right at 10. I have 3.42 gears (wish I had ordered aisin and 3.73 drw though...I will do so before next season)

tank45
08-16-2015, 05:28 AM
I have the 2015 SRW version. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip that had an ATV in bed of truck, and two more loaded on a 16 foot bumper pull trailer (plus heavily loaded with camping gear). I averaged 14 mpg for the entire trip. Pulling my 5th Wheel, in steep, mountainous terrain on our last camping trip about a month ago I got about 10 mpg. My 5th wheel weighed 13,000 on that trip (I hit the CAT scale in Alamogordo before heading up to Cloudcroft. On this Cloudcroft trip, I only had about 1200 miles on the truck so you might need to take into account that the engine wasn't (and still is not) broken in. Running empty, I usually get between 16-18 mpg depending, of course, on the terrain I'm driving on. My previous truck was a 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD with G56 manual tranny and the mileages I'm seeing with the new truck aren't that much different from the old truck. I really like the new RAM and you probably will too.

tank45
08-16-2015, 05:39 AM
BTW, I have 3.42 gears... which is all you can get with the Aisin in the SRW version. I have had no problem, thusfar, with the higher gear ratio because of the way they did each gear height with the Aisin... first gear is the same as the first gear with the 3.73 rear end - the other gears are fine as well - do your research on it to gett the full scoop. My 2005 had 4.10 rear end and I always cursed it because of the high RPMs at highway speeds - the mileage was ok but hated running the engine in the 2500 rpm range.

dcg9381
08-16-2015, 09:50 AM
I have a 2015 DRW 3500 Megacab. It does not have the Asian transmission. It has 3.73 gears. Towing a 36' carbon that weighs 13.5k and is 13' 2" tall, we averaged 9.5 MPG. Most likely the height will affect mileage more than the weight. The SRW will also do better on mileage. That mileage is over 4k miles, towing fairly fast, generally 70mph.

I understand there is a software update now that should result in better mileage, but I haven't tried it.

What do I like about it?
It's the nicest truck I've ever had. Rides well. It'd tow a house. The MegaCab is huge - and honestly you dont really need it over the quad cab.

What don't I like about it?
Price. And used ones don't depreciate very fast, so hard to pick up depreciated. The MegaCab has a short bed and requires a slider hitch. We've got an auto-slider and that incurs more chucking noise than the non-slider.

I should have paid for the Asian option, it results in about 50% more towing capacity.

Make sure you setup your trailer brake controller for HEAVY.

sw342
08-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Have a 2014 DRW with aisin and 4:10 gears. Don't drive it much empty. the lie o meter says 18 mpg at 65mph empty. Towing was about 8-8.5mpg but that was mountains and between 70-75mph on the flats. Towing mileage would be up if I would have stayed in CA and been forced to stay at 60mph.

ri_truck_guy
08-16-2015, 06:06 PM
Have a 2014 DRW with aisin and 4:10 gears. Don't drive it much empty. the lie o meter says 18 mpg at 65mph empty. Towing was about 8-8.5mpg but that was mountains and between 70-75mph on the flats. Towing mileage would be up if I would have stayed in CA and been forced to stay at 60mph.

I have the same setup without the Aisin. Just towed roughly 16K from SE Virginia to Sturgis and back (3,700 miles) over the last two weeks and got the same mileage under the same conditions. Also average 18 mpg without the tow.

mybluox
08-17-2015, 05:26 AM
I was hopeing for better MPG. I'm trading in my 2011 Ram 2500 4x2. I got 8.5 mpg towing the TH from Tucson, AZ to FWB, FL. The reason I'm buying a new TV is the 2011 has a short bed and my GVW is about 150 pounds over max,

Ram189
08-17-2015, 07:22 AM
I have a 2013 DRW with that setup and a Montana HC 333DB.

Towing at 65 MPH I get between 10 and 12. Depends on road conditions. Without a load and depending on how I drive it on highway have gotten as much as 22 MPG. Usually average around 18 - 20 though.

Nice thing is that there is definitely more there if I need it. The tires on the trailer, and maybe some common sense are the only thing holding me back from getting up and down the road quicker. If I need to pass someone quickly and get back out of the way I can pull out and do it.

You can't even tell the trailer is behind the truck other than it rides a little smoother with the suspension loaded up.

Desert185
08-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Dodge design needs kudos for their DRW, blended, rear fender design. Best in the industry, methinks, and the truck is available with a six-speed manual. "bouncey: Tempting...

Heavier towing capability with the Aisin, but I'm still having trust issues with Chrysler autos. Besides, there's just something right about a stick in a truck, a sports car and a motorcycle.

dcg9381
08-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Heavier towing capability with the Aisin, but I'm still having trust issues with Chrysler autos. Besides, there's just something right about a stick in a truck, a sports car and a motorcycle.

I agree with you in theory, but if I recall right, the manual transmission is limited to 600 ft/lbs and they de-rate the motor accordingly...

billstuart
08-17-2015, 04:53 PM
We have a 2015 Ram 3500 MegaCab dually 4X4 w/Aisin trans & 4:10 gears. LOVE IT!

Only have 1500 miles on it and as a daily driver, I'm getting about 16 mpg. I have checked the computer by hand calculating my mileage and it is pretty darn accurate.

So far we have only towed about 130 miles with the truck. We're taking a short trip this weekend, so I will be interested to see what kind of mileage we get towing.
Our Alpine is about 16K lbs loaded.

Happy trails,

Desert185
08-17-2015, 11:21 PM
I agree with you in theory, but if I recall right, the manual transmission is limited to 600 ft/lbs and they de-rate the motor accordingly...

350/660 with the G56 manual

sw342
08-18-2015, 08:23 AM

The nice thing is Aisin isn't made by Chrysler, so there shouldn't be must of a trust issue there. As far as shifting goes I drive a semi everyday for the past 23 years. There is little to nothing a stick is going to do better than these newer autos. There might be a kind of old school romance with driving a manual, but when you have shifted as many gears as I have the love affair has died many years ago.

Besides with one hand free now it gives me more time to play with all the electronic gadgets or texting while driving. :D

bsmith0404
08-18-2015, 11:54 AM
I've talked with several transporters with Dodges ranging from 2012-2015 models, they would love to know how you guys are getting 18 empty. It's very consistent among them that they get about 15.5-16 empty. That is also consistent with recent reviews. They all say they wish they could get 18.5-19 that I get with my duramax. Loaded seems to be right in the same range around 10.

ri_truck_guy
08-18-2015, 05:52 PM
they would love to know how you guys are getting 18 empty.

Damned if I know. I just drive it. The lie-o-meter and hand calcs both say 18.

Desert185
08-18-2015, 10:30 PM
The nice thing is Aisin isn't made by Chrysler, so there shouldn't be must of a trust issue there. As far as shifting goes I drive a semi everyday for the past 23 years. There is little to nothing a stick is going to do better than these newer autos. There might be a kind of old school romance with driving a manual, but when you have shifted as many gears as I have the love affair has died many years ago.

Besides with one hand free now it gives me more time to play with all the electronic gadgets or texting while driving. :D

OK...the autos Chrysler installs in their pickups. I know the Aisin is not made by Chrysler. When and if the Aisin meets the performance record of the Allison, I'll maybe change my tune. Time will tell. Meanwhile, the NV5600 fills the bill reliably.

bsmith0404
08-19-2015, 06:07 AM
OK...the autos Chrysler installs in their pickups. I know the Aisin is not made by Chrysler. When and if the Aisin meets the performance record of the Allison, I'll maybe change my tune. Time will tell. Meanwhile, the NV5600 fills the bill reliably.

Won't have much time to tell because rumor has it that Aisin will be short lived in the Ram and will be replaced by an Allison in a few years. Apparently the deal is already in the works and the design for the pairing is progressing.

Ram189
08-19-2015, 06:51 AM

It is all in how you drive them and take care of them. I had 2 Fords and never had an issue with either trans. Had 2 Dodges one Aisin and one regular and never had a problem with the regular one up to 45000 miles and probably 20000 towing. Aisin is only at 20000 and 9000 towing.

I work at a GM dealer and see just as many Allison problems and we saw Ford or Dodge trans problems. Biggest problem is over heating and tuners.
Ford trans did not hold up well to over Tq and Hp. Dodges did ok but struggled with higher mileage. Allisons don't seem to like the Tq that some guys push through them.

People don't seem to grasp that trucks are made to tow/haul and not drag race.

sw342
08-19-2015, 08:26 AM
Won't have much time to tell because rumor has it that Aisin will be short lived in the Ram and will be replaced by an Allison in a few years. Apparently the deal is already in the works and the design for the pairing is progressing.

Love to see a link to that story. Have not heard a peep about that.

Desert185
08-19-2015, 08:53 AM

The wifey has been mentioning a new truck for awhile. Maybe that's the combo that will ring my bell.

With regards to hotrodding and drag racing, those have been one of the primary drivers of automotive advancement throughout the world. Power is intoxicating, whether towing a trailer or not.

Desert185
08-19-2015, 09:00 AM
It is all in how you drive them and take care of them. I had 2 Fords and never had an issue with either trans. Had 2 Dodges one Aisin and one regular and never had a problem with the regular one up to 45000 miles and probably 20000 towing. Aisin is only at 20000 and 9000 towing.

I work at a GM dealer and see just as many Allison problems and we saw Ford or Dodge trans problems. Biggest problem is over heating and tuners.
Ford trans did not hold up well to over Tq and Hp. Dodges did ok but struggled with higher mileage. Allisons don't seem to like the Tq that some guys push through them.

People don't seem to grasp that trucks are made to tow/haul and not drag race.

I tend to keep vehicles for a long time (recycling, of sorts). Regular maintenance is the key...and installing a Suncoast auto tranny in a Dodge or having an NV5600, six-speed, stick. :thumbsup:

bsmith0404
08-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Love to see a link to that story. Have not heard a peep about that.

I got the info from a guy who claims his son in law works for Allison and they have working the design marriage for a while. I believe he said it's supposed to be available on the 2019 models (may have been 2017 I can't remember for sure).

As for the Dodge automatics having trouble with high mileage, I would agree with that if you consider 65k high mileage. When I had my dodge, tranny was replaced at 65k and the one on the rack right next to mine was getting replaced at 67k.....I was so jealous he got 3% more miles than I did. The 6 spd manual seems to be pretty good, I know a guy who got 400k out of his and only 2 clutch replacements.

sw342
08-19-2015, 01:22 PM
I got the info from a guy who claims his son in law works for Allison and they have working the design marriage for a while. I believe he said it's supposed to be available on the 2019 models (may have been 2017 I can't remember for sure).

Unless GM is going to dump Allison I don't even see how that would be possible. They would be fools to let one, if not the best auto transmissions out there for 3/4 - 1 ton trucks get away from them to a competitor. I am sure they have a very nice non compete contract in place. Then again it could be a smaller version of the Allison to go behind the smaller diesel in the 1500 Rams.

Maybe GM is going to start putting the Aisin in their trucks in 2019. :D

bsmith0404
08-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Unless GM is going to dump Allison I don't even see how that would be possible. They would be fools to let one, if not the best auto transmissions out there for 3/4 - 1 ton trucks get away from them to a competitor. I am sure they have a very nice non compete contract in place. Then again it could be a smaller version of the Allison to go behind the smaller diesel in the 1500 Rams.

Maybe GM is going to start putting the Aisin in their trucks in 2019. :D

Considering that Allison is one of the top transmission builders in the heavy equipment industry, I doubt GM can have a lot of say in them building a transmission for another company. There may have been a no compete clause in the contract, but keep in mind that they have been installing the Allison 1000 in GM trucks since 2001. No compete clauses typically will have an expiration. In addition, my understanding is they are building a new design. Allison builds several different model transmissions. Ford uses the Allison 2000 in F650 trucks. Granted not a competitor to the Silverado, but that is a competitor to the Kodiak and Top kick lines which also use the Allison 1000. Since GM is the only company to use the 1000, they probably have the corner on that model, but not others.

Ram189
08-19-2015, 05:30 PM
The Allison/FCA Ram truck has been a rumor for the last 3 or 4 years.

Aisin is not in love with Fiat and Fiat is looking for someone to put trannys in the European heavy duty stuff they build.

That is if FCA stays around long enough and they don't go bankrupt again. They screwed up when they brought Fiat over as a solo dealer point and are losing money hand over fist on them.

All new models got pushed back 2 - 3 years last I heard. Were supposed to get a completely new Ram truck next year but it is 19 now I think.

sw342
08-19-2015, 07:30 PM
Considering that Allison is one of the top transmission builders in the heavy equipment industry, I doubt GM can have a lot of say in them building a transmission for another company. There may have been a no compete clause in the contract, but keep in mind that they have been installing the Allison 1000 in GM trucks since 2001. No compete clauses typically will have an expiration. In addition, my understanding is they are building a new design. Allison builds several different model transmissions. Ford uses the Allison 2000 in F650 trucks. Granted not a competitor to the Silverado, but that is a competitor to the Kodiak and Top kick lines which also use the Allison 1000. Since GM is the only company to use the 1000, they probably have the corner on that model, but not others.

Yep...so it sounds like its not going to happen. Its always fun to hear the "my neighbors friend who is a janitor was cleaning toilets at the airport and overheard.....

PerryB
08-20-2015, 02:51 AM
.......Besides, there's just something right about a stick in a truck, a sports car and a motorcycle.

And an airplane.

Desert185
08-20-2015, 08:41 AM
And an airplane.

Nice looking PA-12. :thumbsup:

PerryB
08-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks, it was a ground - up rebuild in 2013.

Rusty
08-21-2015, 07:06 AM
Okay.

To get this back on topic.........

What do I like about this truck?

Virtually everything!

Towing is a freaking breeze, the transmission is a beauty, none of this having to put both feet on the throttle at a light! Just ease into it and the transmission shifts perfectly and from a standing start is perfect.

I actually have not used the tow/haul mode much until the last trip, and it is flawless.

We had traded in our 2004 3500 this past winter when the O/D unit parted ways with the truck, cheap fix was $45-5000 expensive fix? Maybe $9000! With the truck being 10 years old, and over a 250,000 on it felt it was time to take a dip as the next truck most likely would be our last or one of our last truck purchases! LOL

Haven't payed much attention to mileage, I use this guy as my daily driver, have noticed that it is roughly the same as the older 2004 model we had, with and without the trailer hooked up. We haul in mountains and prairies, and I DEFINITELY notice a huge difference between the 2 trucks when it comes to towing.

The only thing I need to do is load her up and take her to a scale and get the weights.

bdaniel
08-26-2015, 04:38 PM
I have a 2014 3500 Diesel 4x4 long bed SRW tradesman with the 6 speed auto and 3.42 rear.

I have about 14,000 miles in 10 months. I previously had a 2000, 2002 and 2007 diesels. I get about the same mileage. 10-11 average towing. 18-20 empty if I drive about 65MPH.

I wanted the manual, but the manual is not strong enough to handle the full engine output. I had a 2000 Auto that sucked, 2002 was manual, 2007 was auto and it was fine with 120k miles. My research on the 6 speed auto indicated it was pretty bullet proof.

I gross about 22k when towing. There is a huge difference in this truck and my 2007 2500. More stable, much more power and it just feels much better. I would left my wife or son tow this rig (with some training). My other trucks were 2500s and I would never have let them tow with those trucks.

My 2007 ran around 2000 RPMs at 75MPH. This one runs I think 1600 or maybe 1700RPM at 75MPH.

But there is plenty of torque at that RPM. The trans will up shift and lock as low as 1,000 RPM. That takes a little getting used to.

The Ram is a good truck.

Bobby

Zapper
08-27-2015, 10:39 AM
In 2007 GM sold the Indianapolis/Speedway operations of Allison Transmission to the Carlyle Group and Onex Corporation. GM did not sell the Baltimore MD plant which produces the LCT1000 for GM HD trucks. The "rumor" circulating the plants after the sale was there was a 25 year non compete clause, on what to Allison Transmission, is considered light duty trucks.
The Indy operation still manufactures 1000s for chassis manufacturers. At the time the LCT 1000 became available GM did offer it to both Ford and Dodge, but they would not be supplied with the grade braking feature, it would be exclusive to GM trucks. Both declined, probably a bad move.

Desert185
08-28-2015, 10:17 PM
I wanted the manual, but the manual is not strong enough to handle the full engine output. I had a 2000 Auto that sucked, 2002 was manual, 2007 was auto and it was fine with 120k miles. My research on the 6 speed auto indicated it was pretty bullet proof.

The Ram is a good truck.

Bobby

The 2000 autos did suck.

The limitation on the manual is the clutch not the NV5600 itself, I'm thinking. Its a very stout transmission. When, and if, mine toasts, South Bend it is.

See: http://www.southbendclutch.com/nv5600.html

The Ram IS a good truck.

Drew Waller
09-04-2015, 12:23 PM
one weekend I got 11. The next weekend I got 7.8. The long trip for 200 miles I got 10.2 on my 2015 Duramax/Allison power train. 19-20 without the Raptor tagging along😊

bdaniel
09-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I just got 10 MPG hand calculated over 1,059 miles from Raleigh, NC to Huntsville, AL and back, doing 70-75 everywhere I could. I would have gotten better if I had stayed at 65 and below but we were in a hurry.

I am a little over 21.3k pounds total.

Saw diesel once for $2.05.

Bobby

JRTJH
09-07-2015, 06:00 PM
With our recent trip, about 6500 miles of towing the Cougar through flatlands and mountains averaged 10.5 to 11.5. We usually towed between 65-68 MPH. The cheapest diesel I saw was 2.099 in Kentucky. The most expensive was in Ohio and Michigan (at the trip's end) at 2.899. We did pay 3.199 in Yellowstone at Fishing Bridge, but that's not "normal pricing"...

Solo mileage was about 18-19 for the 1300 solo miles on that trip. Conditions were "slow, lots of idling" for parts of those solo miles and some 80 MPH interstate travelling as well.

The truck empty weighs in about 8200 and the rig total weight is about 17900 with the trailer loaded and cargo in the truck bed. The most recent 800 solo miles have averaged about 21 MPG. There was a marked increase in towing and solo mileage at about 10K on the truck. I'm not sure what will happen in the next couple of months with "winter fuel blends", but I do expect mileage to go down some, hopefully not below the previous averages of about 18-19 MPG.