PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy first rv this weekend

06h2sut
08-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Hi, my names Chris. This weekend if all goes well I will be purchasing a keystone everest thats at a seasonal campground with intent to leave it there, at least for another two years. Its a 2006 and from what I remember from seeing it a month ago is in visual really good condition with a bunch of extras.

Anyone have any advise what a unit like that usually sells for used? I'm pretty sure its a 345s model. Its a 40' and has 4 slide outs. Anything I should look for in specific or ask or question before I hand the seller the check? This is all new to me. My girlfriends family has campers and I'm sure after the purchase they can help with things, but as far as buying goes need some solid tips. Thanks Chris

Festus2
08-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Chris-
You might find the Pre-Delivery Inspection Checklist helpful when you do your walk through BEFORE you hand over the check to the dealer.

The checklist contains a wide variety of things to look for and check and many members have found it very helpful. The checklist (a "sticky') can be found by going to the Keystone Questions section of the forum. It's at the very top of the all the listings. You can download it, print it off and take it with you.

bobbecky
08-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Might be worth the money to hire a mobile RV tech to inspect it. They work on these things all the time, and will know what fails most often and what to look for. This is no different than purchasing a used car from a private party, have a mechanic look it over.

Alpine
08-12-2015, 08:36 PM
Might be worth the money to hire a mobile RV tech to inspect it. They work on these things all the time, and will know what fails most often and what to look for. This is no different than purchasing a used car from a private party, have a mechanic look it over.

Excellent advice right here! Even if you pay a tech a couple hundred bucks or so- will be worth it. The prices of AC units, refrigerator, slide repairs etc. etc.! If there are problems in these areas you can deduct it from the sale price or walk away!

06h2sut
08-13-2015, 04:22 AM
I'll have to see if I can find someone thats willing to take the drive all the way out there by this weekend to take a look. (Not sure if I'll be able to find anyone) The guy I'm looking to buy it from has had it listed for a while at the campgrounds. And has came down a good amount. He seems to be well known there and it's one of the nicest plots there with one of the nicest rv. Is there a place I can check the market value of it? It seems in getting it very cheap compared to what rv stores sell used ones for. Esp with everything he is including besides the rv. Thanks again chris

06h2sut
08-13-2015, 04:24 AM
Also forgot to mention, he said he usually leaves it there all winter but last year he pulled it out and took it home. Currently I don't even have a truck capable of doing so, so traveling with it isn't a huge concern to me as of right now. Again that could change down the road.

CarKath
08-13-2015, 04:31 AM
Is there a place I can check the market value of it?

You could check Nada Guides for value.

06h2sut
08-13-2015, 05:08 AM
You could check Nada Guides for value.
My only issue with that is, judging by the floor plan its a 345s yet no where lists a 2006 everest 345s... As if that model wasn't available that year.

PARAPTOR
08-13-2015, 05:40 AM
Currently camping just south of you with many Clevelanders. Some excellent advice given, Rig at least nine years old unless you are very familiar with the rig or very handy at fixing them, I highly recommend having it looked over by a qualified person before buying. Good Luck

BirchyBoy
08-13-2015, 05:58 AM
It's possible it is a 2007 model with a 2006 build date. I looked as well and can see 2006's for sale but the NADA guide doesn't have the 345s until 2007. Weird.

06h2sut
08-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Currently camping just south of you with many Clevelanders. Some excellent advice given, Rig at least nine years old unless you are very familiar with the rig or very handy at fixing them, I highly recommend having it looked over by a qualified person before buying. Good Luck

Where do you camp? I'll be in loudonville. Where can I find someone to come look at it this weekend? I'm handy as I'm a machinist and my main hobby are bikes cars and trucks so I do all my own work. As far as RVs go I have zero expierence with them. As for what Nada says its low and high retail is, I'm paying a bit less then the low. So too good to be true deal?

06h2sut
08-13-2015, 09:37 AM
It's possible it is a 2007 model with a 2006 build date. I looked as well and can see 2006's for sale but the NADA guide doesn't have the 345s until 2007. Weird.

It is in fact a 2006 and is a 345s.... Called keystone and they verified by the Vin. Guy didn't have much explanation when I told him how that model isn't listed for 06.

GrumpyG
08-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Don't be pressured to purchase it by a specific time (aka this weekend) until you have had a professional take a look at it. Once you hand over your money, the trailer and it's problems belong to you.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to make a wise decision or a foolish one. You asked for advice and you have gotten some very good advice. What you do with it is up to you.

Best of luck.

PARAPTOR
08-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Where do you camp? I'll be in loudonville. Where can I find someone to come look at it this weekend? I'm handy as I'm a machinist and my main hobby are bikes cars and trucks so I do all my own work. As far as RVs go I have zero expierence with them. As for what Nada says its low and high retail is, I'm paying a bit less then the low. So too good to be true deal?

NO, I am at a Sister campsite of Wally World Riverside Resort in Loudonville, it is near ANDOVER. I will ask around here if they know of anyone up there or near the Sister campsite. I will PM you if I find out anything. Again I recommend you have a knowledgeable RV person preferably an RV TECH look at it. Have you tried calling the campsite and ask if they know of/ recommend anyone? GOOD LUCK

06h2sut
08-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Don't be pressured to purchase it by a specific time (aka this weekend) until you have had a professional take a look at it. Once you hand over your money, the trailer and it's problems belong to you.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to make a wise decision or a foolish one. You asked for advice and you have gotten some very good advice. What you do with it is up to you.

Best of luck.

I agree great advise. My issue is I have no clue who knows about RVs or where to find someone. Its not like you test drive a car and run it over to your mechanic. And I doubt calling a rv dealer and asking if I can pay one of their techs to come look at an rv will go over well hahaha. As for pressure I guess thats on myself because of it being the end of the season and wanting one while I still have time (that and my loan was finally approved). Any tips how to find a rv tech?

06h2sut
08-13-2015, 12:51 PM
NO, I am at a Sister campsite of Wally World Riverside Resort in Loudonville, it is near ANDOVER. I will ask around here if they know of anyone up there or near the Sister campsite. I will PM you if I find out anything. Again I recommend you have a knowledgeable RV person preferably an RV TECH look at it. Have you tried calling the campsite and ask if they know of/ recommend anyone? GOOD LUCK
No I have not, but the guy selling the camper there seems to be best fiends with everyone there and the owners so I'm sure if they recommended someone it would be biased anyways. On the plus side I've seen the guys Harley and tricked out golf cart.... If he keeps up on his camper like he does his toys, everything should be smooth as glass. But yeah if you know of anyone message me please. If you kniw someone who can go up there this weekend even better. Thanks Chris

GrumpyG
08-13-2015, 01:48 PM
I agree great advise. My issue is I have no clue who knows about RVs or where to find someone. Its not like you test drive a car and run it over to your mechanic. And I doubt calling a rv dealer and asking if I can pay one of their techs to come look at an rv will go over well hahaha. As for pressure I guess thats on myself because of it being the end of the season and wanting one while I still have time (that and my loan was finally approved). Any tips how to find a rv tech?

Google is your friend... search for "mobile RV technician" for your area. If you have a smart phone with Android, just search for mobile RV tech. Your phone will use your location and find the closest ones.

Desert185
08-13-2015, 01:52 PM
I just Googled Cleveland Ohio mobile rv repairs and got some hits. Worth the effort, IMO.

06h2sut
08-13-2015, 08:46 PM
Ok I will call a few places tomorrow. Like I said he's asking 20k for it and that seemed like a super good price to pass up since he has came down some already. But I better have it checked out

06h2sut
08-14-2015, 07:44 AM
Well if someone would like to list some numbers and places that are willing to go somewhere and drive more theb 20 min... And actually go out on weekends that would be cool. Everywhere I've called the people were anything but helpful or didnt answer.

Festus2
08-14-2015, 08:00 AM
If you can't get a mobile RV tech or some other "qualified" person to go over the RV, then can you ask someone you know - friend, acquaintance, relative, etc. - who is an experienced, knowledgeable RVer - to come out and go over it? This person doesn't have to be a "professional" - just someone who knows RVs and would be able to provide you with some sound advice.

SAABDOCTOR
08-14-2015, 08:02 AM
Hi i will toss in my 2 cents. Use the NADA guide. kelly blue book will have you paying way too much. use the pdi in the sticky notes and take your time doing the walk through. ask lots of questions and make sure you see everything works. good luck!"bouncey:

06h2sut
08-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Hi i will toss in my 2 cents. Use the NADA guide. kelly blue book will have you paying way too much. use the pdi in the sticky notes and take your time doing the walk through. ask lots of questions and make sure you see everything works. good luck!"bouncey:

Yeah the keystone guy told me to use a 2007 345s on Nada. So that's what I did, and got a value of 30k to 36.5k that seems high to me but I don't know? Lol

Ken / Claudia
08-14-2015, 04:31 PM
If it was me, knowing what I have learned about rvs over about 40 years. I would not be in any hurry to purchase it because it looks good and is clean. I know what to look at and for regarding problems and would spend most of 1 day going over it. You do not know what a good roof looks like vs a bad one. They should be cleaned and checked yearly or more. That's just the start. leaks can be anywhere and not seen until a real costly repair, All rvs will leak sooner or later. Every item must be turned on and used. Tires, likely good great but, are rotten unless just purchased. They do have date codes and need replaced 5 to 7 years with or without any mileage.. Bearings? brakes? propane tanks need rechecked after 12 years, whats the date on those. Batteries last a couple years to maybe 5. Is everything working on 12v and shorepower as it should. Just listed afew items.

CarKath
08-14-2015, 04:40 PM
If it was me, knowing what I have learned about rvs over about 40 years. I would not be in any hurry to purchase it because it looks good and is clean. I know what to look at and for regarding problems and would spend most of 1 day going over it. You do not know what a good roof looks like vs a bad one. They should be cleaned and checked yearly or more. That's just the start. leaks can be anywhere and not seen until a real costly repair, All rvs will leak sooner. Every item must be turned on and used. Tires, likely good great but, are rotten unless just purchased. They do have date codes and need replaced 5 to 7 years with or without any mileage.. Bearings? brakes? propane tanks need rechecked after 12 years, whats the date on those. Batteries last a couple years to maybe 5. Is everything working on 12v and shorepower as it should. Just listed afew items.

:thumbsup: What Ken said :)

Another thought, maybe there is somebody from this forum that is close and willing to help you out. Just throwing it out there. Flip them something for there fuel and time and everybody is happy. New friend gained.
Thinking out loud again :eek:

06h2sut
08-15-2015, 08:09 AM
:thumbsup: What Ken said :)

Another thought, maybe there is somebody from this forum that is close and willing to help you out. Just throwing it out there. Flip them something for there fuel and time and everybody is happy. New friend gained.
Thinking out loud again :eek:

Well my girlfriends aunt is a rv guru and has decided to help me out. As far at up keep and maintence on it the guy seems spot on. He said he redoes the roof every year. I can't remember his exact words or what he does. As far as the tanks the camper isn't even 12 years old so I imagine they are still good. As for tires OK, they will need changed if or when years down the road I decide to take it out of the park. I know two things one being Harleys, and I saw his Harley. If he keeps up on this rv like he did he Harley I should be in great standings. Oh and the battery is brand new the beginning of this year. Said he bought the biggest one he could get (not sure what size it actually is though)

Ken / Claudia
08-15-2015, 09:12 AM
It's your money, you have talked yourself into this RV. I wish you luck, it may be the best buy ever. It may be a pig with lip stick. Bottom line, have you ever purchased a home. I have 4 times and paid for a inspection on each one before signing the deed. A RV is like a home but, very much more regarding need of maintenance. A small spot of delamb'ed sliding can be thousands to fix. Without knowing what that is or what it looks like is another example.

06h2sut
08-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Well I went to look it over again sat morning, met the owner and went over it too to bottom. Was there for about 6-7 hours. Went home and did some more research. Sunday me my girlfriend and her aunt and uncle came with us. They have had RVs for the past 30+ years. We spent another 4 hours there going over more stuff. I was advised that it is a very solid camper for its age and leaving it there as a seasonal camper I would have no issues. There are just a few misc things that need fixed and very small stuff. Burnt out light bulbs here and there. One of the only things that need fixed asap is the seal on the toilet ball. It won't hold water in the bowl long. Again very easy an cheap fix. Could anyone direct me how to go about finding out the part number for the correct seal? Thanks again for all the help so far.

Festus2
08-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Could anyone direct me how to go about finding out the part number for the correct seal? .

Without knowing the make and model of the toilet, it's pretty much impossible to give you any information.

If you do find out the make and model, Google it - that's what we would do to find out the part number.

06h2sut
08-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Without knowing the make and model of the toilet, it's pretty much impossible to give you any information.

If you do find out the make and model, Google it or download the owner's manual which often has a schematic with parts and part numbers.

I read somewhere the model of toilet is at the base under a cover. Can anyone verify that? I won't be back at the camper till this weekend and was hoping to order it before then but guess I can wait. If that's the case I might mess with the current seal and try some silicone lube or petroleum jelly on it though. Wonder if I call keystone with the vin if they could tell me the model toilet in it?

06h2sut
08-17-2015, 06:18 PM
Also not sure if I should make a new topic. But could someone tell me their procedure with emptying the tanks for seasonal campers, not for people who travel or drive the rv home on Sunday's. I am being told different things from a few people and now I'm confused. Also I don't think it's smart to go off the gauge lights on the wall for the tank is it?

notanlines
08-18-2015, 03:40 AM
I'm guessing that you will get a number of different answers here, but this is our procedure and it works for us. We empty our black water tank every three days. After it empties, I run the tank-rinse until the water runs clear through the elbow on the dump hose. (Yes, you can buy a clear elbow at any RV supply store) Then I dump both grey water tanks behind this and start the procedure all over again. And you are correct, don't trust those gauges.

06h2sut
08-18-2015, 07:47 AM
I'm guessing that you will get a number of different answers here, but this is our procedure and it works for us. We empty our black water tank every three days. After it empties, I run the tank-rinse until the water runs clear through the elbow on the dump hose. (Yes, you can buy a clear elbow at any RV supply store) Then I dump both grey water tanks behind this and start the procedure all over again. And you are correct, don't trust those gauges.
I bought a clear elbow yesterday. Buy because its seasonal its all hard PVC pipe and I don't remember how its attached. So hopefully the clear thing I got will work with it.