PDA

View Full Version : Convertor

fred1609
08-10-2015, 09:47 PM
I plug in with a surge protector. Today I plugged in and about 30 minutes later my TV and AC went out. I could smell smoke like an when an electric component burns up. The fuses were all good. I removed the fuse box and checked/felt the convertor which was hot. I figured it had failed. I bought a new one and 3 hours later after installing it everything worked except the keurig and microwave which appeared to be fried. Given that there is no way I could have gotten anything from the pedestal via my surge protector. Anybody have any idea what might have happened? There a small amount of liquid (goo) below the convertor on the floor which came from the convertor.

Tom N OH
08-16-2015, 05:47 AM
What surge protector were you using? Make? Model? 30A? 50A? Surge protector only? Total power protection?

shiggs68
08-22-2015, 04:51 AM
Given, you found the goo (I suspect oily substance), I would say the smoke and smell was a capacitor in your Converter. Just a normal failure nothing to do with your shore power.

However, since you also indicated the Microwave and Coffee pot, I'd suspect you do or did have a shore power problem.

With that said, only the more expensive surge protectors provide total protection. Progressive Industries with EMS are the best on the market. Not only providing surge protection but also monitoring for mis-wiring, low and high voltage limits, and correct frequency. TRC also makes a better unit except it only has a one-year warranty.

TravelingRVDoctor -Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk