PDA

View Full Version : Towing 5 wheel with SUV

GT2400BH
08-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Tow All
Anyone seen this on the road ? Would this be legal in all states ? Not buying one but thought it was interesting. Looks like it weighs a lot. Toward the end of the video he tows an RV.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b734eSPO1gI

Ken / Claudia
08-10-2015, 10:16 AM
This is the second type of this product I have seen. Here's a problem, at least in Oregon. If you look up the state definitions of what is a vehicle and what does a vehicle need and how many vehicles you can tow. Since it is pulled or pushed or drawn by a motor vehicle on a road, it is a vehicle. Since it is on that same road at a weight of over 1800 lbs it must be licensed. If it is licensed it must have a VIN. In this case it would be licensed as a trailer. Unless a comm vehicle with permits. You can only pull 1 trailer. In Oregon, you would be cited for, towing illegal combo, maybe over max length and with a SUV maybe over GCVW. My opinion is it may be a great towing trailer for something not normally done. It could maybe able to get a special licensing just for that type of device but, none exist now. Someone would need to get DMV and law makers to change or make a new law to make it legal. That would be very costly and time consuming. With all that said I have seen 1 in Oregon when not working so, it was unknown if any police took notice to stop it. I would have least stopped it, inspected it and likely cited it.

JRTJH
08-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Whether it's "legal or not" to tow with this device and an SUV, to use it with an SUV probably would put you over the CGWR and Max Trailer Weight of almost any SUV. Half ton trucks have a problem staying under the ratings with all but the smallest fifth wheels, most SUV's have lower ratings than half ton trucks, so even "if" it were "capable of being connected and legal" it would probably be "overloaded".....

hankpage
08-10-2015, 10:36 AM
You better reserve a pull-through site ..... you will not be able to back it up in any campgrounds I've been in. The trailer will track to the dolly wheels not the trucks, so plan on wide turns. (Nice looking truck though! "bouncey: )

x96mnn
08-10-2015, 12:51 PM
There have been a few conversations on these types of setups, there was one called the tow buddy that I think was around since 2005 and had an article in trailerlife in 2007.

I believe they rebranded it at some point and called it the safety hitch which can be found here. http://www.mrtrailer.com/safetyhitch.htm

I have seen one of these in passing, was at a gas station on a 2500 suburban and was towing a massive three axel 5th wheel with kids and dog on board. I did not talk to him but he did not appear to be stressed, legalities is not my concern only the person driving.

Pull Toy
08-10-2015, 01:35 PM
I use mine all the time... no problem here!

JRTJH
08-10-2015, 04:04 PM

Yeah, but you have the high performance rear axle. That option is no longer available, so it's either a "used Smart Car" or the OP can't go the route you went..... :p

poncho62
08-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Just think of the mileage he gets.......:D

As for original posts pic....that looks downright dangerous to me