PDA

View Full Version : Best route from Taos, NM to Red River, NM

Lms
08-08-2015, 02:51 PM
My husband is afraid of hights. We r traveling with a 39ft fifth wheel toy hauler towed by a f450 dual wheel pickup. I need to know which route is best to avoid big drop offs. Any information would be greatly appreciated. We head out tomorrow.

hankaye
08-08-2015, 04:41 PM
Lms, Howdy;

Kinda looks like there's only one way to get there from Taos, SR 522 North
to Questa then SR 38 to Red River. If you're in Taos, you might ask some of
the locals. I'm just looking at my DeLorme map book for N.M.
Give it a look on Google Earth, see what ya think.

hankaye

Lms
08-08-2015, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. Thats just what i was trying to do. I saw two routes the one you mentioned and NM 64. The wifi here in durango,co is not to good. Will be traveling to red river, nm the long way, to bypass the wolf creek pass and the Taos gorge on NM64. Will go through pagosa springs,co, chama,nm, espanola,nm, then up to redriver,nm. Hope we chose the right path. Thanks again.

hankaye
08-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Lms, Howdy;

Hope so too. Good luck, have a safe trip.

hankaye

gearhead
08-12-2015, 09:27 AM
LMS: How'd it go??

Desert185
08-12-2015, 09:34 AM
I was going to suggest Benadryl Road. :D

Lms
08-16-2015, 06:18 AM
The trip went well. We took the planned route that was mentioned above. SR 522 and SR 38 were the better route according to the locals. The roads were two lane with wide shoulders and had only gradual climb from Questa to Red River. We only had one steep hill to climb on NM 68, the road runs ride along the river down in the gorge, then moves into some hills as it brings you up, but its scarry when you come out at the top because you are looking right at the gorge now from the top. It was unexpected but quick. Hope this helps others and thanks for responding.

hankaye
08-16-2015, 04:25 PM
Lms, Howdy;

Good to hear that you had an enjoyable excursion.
Thanks for the follow-up, someone else may need
to travel the same road and have a similar question...

hankaye