PDA

View Full Version : Colorado road advise

ocho
08-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I'll be leaving Sturgis tomorrow and head down to Colorado. I'll pick up 25 south all the way to Walsenburg. Then I'd like to make my way to Durango. My concern is the route getting there. Anyone travel that stretch or similar in that area? I'll be near gross weight and I'm pulling with a 3/4 ton gmc gas. Any input will help. I don't wanna risk not being able to either climb or stop if the grades are too steep. Thanks

sourdough
08-08-2015, 11:00 AM
What route from Walsenburg to Durango?

Desert185
08-08-2015, 12:38 PM
I'll be leaving Sturgis tomorrow and head down to Colorado. I'll pick up 25 south all the way to Walsenburg. Then I'd like to make my way to Durango. My concern is the route getting there. Anyone travel that stretch or similar in that area? I'll be near gross weight and I'm pulling with a 3/4 ton gmc gas. Any input will help. I don't wanna risk not being able to either climb or stop if the grades are too steep. Thanks

We took US160 out of Walsenburg to Durango last year with the signature rig. There are three passes right around 10,000'. One in particular was a pretty steep grade (8%?) with a radar monitored, 45MPH speed limit. Fourth gear (6spd manual tranny) and the exhaust brake held our speed going down the west side without brakes required. Without a turbo for power going up and an exhaust brake for speed control going down it might be more of a challenge for you. Maybe other gasser types who have traveled that route will chime in. Diesel? No problem.

Picture before Timbrens.

ocho
08-08-2015, 06:25 PM
What route from Walsenburg to Durango?

Thinking 160 unless i came I from the north side?

gearhead
08-08-2015, 06:47 PM
I have only gone that way once or twice. We usually are coming up from Santa Fe, but I think you will have to go over Wolf Creek Pass east of Pagosa Springs. It will be a challenge but you should be able to make it.

ocho
08-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Decided to wait on the other 160 route. Gonna stop in canon city and ride west from there for a few hours. Thanks for advise.