antiqfreq
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Can you use a Slingbox in an RV?

We currently take our satellite dish,

but lately it just isn't working.

Having changed cables, and checking the box itself
at home (we take the one from our bedroom) that does
work. Now we think the LNB on the dish has gone out,
so now I gotta look for one on Ebay, I guess.

Any info on Slingbox? Don't you need an internet connection
for it to work??

Jo

Atfulldraw
12-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Can you use a Slingbox in an RV?

Any info on Slingbox? Don't you need an internet connection
for it to work??

Jo

Yes, you need an internet connection, but these things are just about the best thing since sliced bread for TV junkies ;)

antiqfreq
12-30-2009, 04:48 AM
Well,

We sold out house in Oct. and we are living in our RV fulltime in a local RV park (as we're still working).

Still have the DirecTV but plan to cancel it in January.

Since I have a Verizon aircard, for my internet, can I use that as my internet provider for the slingbox? Or that is something that is not possible.

If I had a home, I would definitely have it by now, but since I don't, I was
just wondering IF it could be used in a traveling RV??

Thanks,

Jo

Atfulldraw
01-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I think I'm understanding you right....

and no, you still need to have a satellite TV provider feeding a signal to the slingbox to use it.

Wherever the slingbox is located, you need two things -- an internet connection and a tv feed (that can be a satellite, an antenna, a dvr (or tivo))

It's just a way to see your tv when you are away from your tv....

I have a friend that has a big setup with like six tv's and four dvr's at his house here in Dallas. He has three slingboxes set up, so none of his kids (who live in other states) have to pay for cable tv -- they just watch whatever they want to from one of his slingboxes. He has three so that no one has to watch what someone else is watching. He also watches from across the pond when he travels over there for business.

antiqfreq
01-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Now that sounds like a set up.......

we are dumping the directv end of this month, to
save a few bucks......

Something to think about in the future though!

Thanks,

Jo

K&Gs3400RL
01-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Can someone explain how these work, and what all i would need for my RV?
Thanks George

Johnnyfry
03-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Not only do you need an internet connection, you need a FAST internet connection. (FIOS or Cable internet minimum). That means that the lame WiFi in most parks is a non starter.

The Verizon/Sprint/AT&T 3G/4G cards MIGHT work at some level but the cost overruns for data overage would put you in the poorhouse very quickly. (think 1GB/hour).

Basically the Slingbox hooks to your TV Cable box and translates the TV signal to an internet data stream. You direct your remote computer to the IP address of your Slingbox and bingo-- TV on your computer screen. On your flatscreen too, if you have a HDMI from your computer to your TV.

You can also work the link backwards to tune the cable box to another channel.

LOTS OF DATA!!! I really mean that you need a FAST internet connection