PDA

View Full Version : CA license

jsmith948
08-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Started to post this on another thread but did not want to be guilty of a hi-jack.

There have been numerous posts regarding licensing. Every state seems to have their own ideas as to what license is needed. Our Cougar has a GVWR of 10070#, 70# over the limit that can be towed with just a class C (regular) license. To tow our trailer legally I have to have a class C with an RV endorsement (written test - no med exam) or a non-commercial class A (written tests, driving test, pre-trip test and bi-annual medical exam continuously on file). I never worried too much about it as I have a class A commercial license with doubles and tanker endorsements.

When I quit driving OTR, I didn't bother keeping up with the bi-annual medical exam. Two years ago, when I renewed my license, the DMV would not issue a class A until I submitted a new medical exam (never mattered before). This past month, I received a letter from DMV advising me that my med exam was about to expire. I learned from the DMV that, if my med exam has expired, my class A becomes a class C (as I would no longer be medically 'qualified' to drive a commercial vehicle). BUT, I can't legally tow my trailer with a class C. So, my choice is to change my license to a class C and take the additional test for the RV endorsement or submit a new medical exam. The exam cost me $70, but seemed easier than dealing with the DMV.

Sorry for the long winded post. I just wanted to put this out there for those of you from CA towing with your regular car license. If your trailer GVWR is 10,000# or under you are golden. If it is 1# over 10,000 up to 15,000 you need the endorsement. If it is over 15,000# you must have a class A.

As Chuckster pointed out in another thread. The CHP is discovering that this is an untapped source of revenue. BTW, it doesn't have to be a "commercial" enforcement officer that drives the black & white pick-ups. A regular patrol officer can require you to follow him to scale within 5 miles of where you were stopped. Just sayin':)

old timer
08-08-2015, 03:50 AM
wow this sucks. Ether pay DMV or CHP. I bet they could make you unhook and leave it until you get the writer on your license. Now I need to go to DMV.

Blrmaker
08-08-2015, 04:43 AM
Wow, I did not know that about California but it is one more reason I am glad I moved out.

Thank you for the information. (tx)

This is from the Tennessee State Drivers License Bureau

What is a Regular (Class D) License? A Class D License is a regular driver license and is required to operate a passenger vehicle.

A Class D vehicle is defined as any vehicle, or any combination of vehicles, with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less, as long as:
The vehicle is not used for the purpose of transporting hazardous materials which are required by law to be placarded. The vehicle is not used to transport more than fifteen passengers including the driver, or The vehicle is not a school bus used to transport children to and from school for compensation.

Generally speaking, the majority of applicants for a Tennessee driver license will be operators of regular passenger vehicles, pick-up trucks, or vans. The Driver License Manual is designed to provide the information you need to get a Class D license. If the vehicle is used for any of these purposes, the driver is required to obtain a Commercial Driver License. - See more at: http://www.tn.gov/safety/topic/classd#sthash.mR5m7gmA.dpuf

SteveC7010
08-08-2015, 04:51 AM
Does anyone know how they deal with out-of-state drivers and RV's? Most states have reciprocity agreements so that if you are legal in your home state, you are legal in a reciprocity state.

jsmith948
08-08-2015, 05:38 AM
Hi Steve,

It is my understanding that reciprocity is the rule here. If you have the correct license/endorsements to legally tow in your state, you are legal in every state - even in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

chuckster57
08-08-2015, 06:45 AM
That's my understanding too.

old timer
08-08-2015, 07:09 AM
I was looking and it would appear that if your trailer was under 15,000 lbs you are ok. After that than you need to get a writer. What ever state license you have is good everywhere. They can't make every one change there license when they cross state lines. You do however have to follow the rules of the road no matter what state you are in.

chuckster57
08-08-2015, 07:27 AM
I was looking and it would appear that if your trailer was under 15,000 lbs you are ok. After that than you need to get a writer. What ever state license you have is good everywhere. They can't make every one change there license when they cross state lines. You do however have to follow the rules of the road no matter what state you are in.

Over 10,000 and under 15,000 requires a travel trailer endorsement. It is based on gvwr of the trailer.

sw342
08-08-2015, 08:59 AM
When I quit driving OTR, I didn't bother keeping up with the bi-annual medical exam.

Did you have some severe medical conditions that required you to take a medical exam twice a year?

jsmith948
08-08-2015, 09:34 AM
No, DOT & CA dmv requires drivers of commercial vehicles to have a bi-annual medical exam that is kept on file at dmv.

jsmith948
08-08-2015, 09:45 AM
On another note, back when I first started driving OTR, we used to go to the dmv, get the forms and wallet card, throw the forms away and get someone with poor handwriting to fill out the card. CHP only cared that you had a valid card, Today, you don,t even carry a card, You have to have a medical report on file & everything is verified electronically. No more cheating.

Desert185
08-08-2015, 10:38 AM
On another note, back when I first started driving OTR, we used to go to the dmv, get the forms and wallet card, throw the forms away and get someone with poor handwriting to fill out the card. CHP only cared that you had a valid card, Today, you don,t even carry a card, You have to have a medical report on file & everything is verified electronically. No more cheating.

There's probably a legal loophole for illegals. Sanctuary city or state...an oxymoron for most of us. (There are no smilies for what I am now thinking)

Barbell
08-08-2015, 10:48 AM
Just to verify what others have said about non-residents pulling in Calif: the Full Faith and Credit Cause of the US Constitution requires one state to give "full faith and credit" to another state's laws. Therefore if you are legal in your home state, you are legal in Calif. regardless of what the CHP says.

Ken / Claudia
08-08-2015, 11:16 AM
I can say I have never heard full faith and credit applied to motor vehicles driving thru states but, what the legal term is named "reciprocity" as said by others. Here's what a state can do and may at some point. Take CA, where there are state entree points on roads with inspections. Folks in Sack could make a law saying anyone pulling a trailer over XXX wt. must buy a permit to travel on their roads. I have been waiting to see that happen as another way to TAX travelers.

jsmith948
08-08-2015, 02:25 PM
I can say I have never heard full faith and credit applied to motor vehicles driving thru states but, what the legal term is named "reciprocity" as said by others. Here's what a state can do and may at some point. Take CA, where there are state entree points on roads with inspections. Folks in Sack could make a law saying anyone pulling a trailer over XXX wt. must buy a permit to travel on their roads. I have been waiting to see that happen as another way to TAX travelers.

Hello Ken - I agree and it may happen. You know, this reminds me of how I felt about Oregon's "Ton Mile tax". I had to have the red P.U.C. plate. To get the plate I had to post a surety bond and file a planned route. I always wenrt northbound through Klamath Falls, Eugene, Portland (305mi) and southbound on 97 (297mi). Tax was 9.75 cents per mile. We used to call it a "barrier" state. Now, they discount the road tax on fuel to trucks that pay the ton/mile back then they didn't so none of us CA truckers bought fuel in Oregon. I think if CA were to implement a permit -to-drive-your-RV-here scenario, they would lose out on a lot of tourist dollors. JMHO

JRTJH
08-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Just to verify what others have said about non-residents pulling in Calif: the Full Faith and Credit Cause of the US Constitution requires one state to give "full faith and credit" to another state's laws. Therefore if you are legal in your home state, you are legal in Calif. regardless of what the CHP says.

When it pertains to licensing, you "may" be correct, but the statement, "If you are legal in your home state, you are legal in Calif. regardless of what the CHP says" is not accurate. One situation to illustrate that point is double towing with a fifth wheel and a boat/trailer. In Michigan, I am "legal" to tow my rig which is 74' in length (with the proper license endorsement). In adjoining states, the maximum length is 65'. I can not tow my "legal in my home state" rig into Minnesota or Wisconsin. Even though it's "legal at home" it is illegal in adjoining states and I am subject to the laws/penalties of that state for violating their length restrictions.

sw342
08-08-2015, 03:38 PM
No, DOT & CA dmv requires drivers of commercial vehicles to have a bi-annual medical exam that is kept on file at dmv.

Gotcha...I have a CDL license also, but only have to get a physical every other year. Maybe you are thinking of biennial. Bi-annual would be twice a year. I do know some guys that can only get three month extensions at times, so I thought maybe you were going every 6 months

jsmith948
08-09-2015, 04:50 AM
Gotcha...I have a CDL license also, but only have to get a physical every other year. Maybe you are thinking of biennial. Bi-annual would be twice a year. I do know some guys that can only get three month extensions at times, so I thought maybe you were going every 6 months

Sorry for the confusion. I mean every two years - isn't that bi-annual?
I thought twice a year would be semi-annual - I was always better at math than English:)

Desert185
08-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Biennial is every two years. Biannual is twice a year.

Pmedic4
08-13-2015, 07:46 PM
I'm enjoying the banter about the definition of biannual. Oddly, it seems that the word is open to alternate definitions, it is just simpler to say, twice a year, or every other year.

So, if semi-annual means two times a year, what does semi-tractor trailer mean? wouldn't that be 2 tractors per trailer? Never mind, I give up!

jsmith948
08-14-2015, 01:50 AM
Per CA DMV, a semi-trailer has a portion of its weight carried /supported by the tow vehicle. A full trailer is like the second trailer on a set of doubles, or like a 4 wheeled farm wagon.