PDA

View Full Version : Camping at THE BIG E State Expo in West Springfield MA?

katiegreeniz
08-05-2015, 06:06 AM
Just wondering if anyone has ever camped at THE BIG E State Expo in West Springfield MA and what to expect? I know it's dry camping, and I know it's first come first park. We've made lots of day trips there over the years, but have never brought the trailer. Thanks!

GaryWT
08-05-2015, 07:03 AM
Interesting, I did not know they had camping there. A couple years ago we stayed at Sodom Mountain campground to go to Six Flags, it was ok but the wife said she will not be back.

Last year we went to the Big E for the first time, it was crazy busy. They ran out of parking and people were parking everywhere. We parked about 20 minutes away and walked. It was hard to get around once inside there were so many people. Not sure if we will be back.

How close is the camping area that they have?

katiegreeniz
08-06-2015, 08:10 AM
We go every year Gary-but always on a weekday and early, and always for a day trip-never with the trailer. This year we've decided to switch it up to start off the first leg of our 1 week northern NH getaway. By going early and on a weekday-we usually avoid most lines and large groups to see the things that fill up quickly. By the later part of the day-it is much busier, but by then we're just browsing and snacking because we've already seen our favorite stuff. We typically avoid the mid-way with all the rides. We LOVE Storrowtown Village and The Avenue of the States buildings.

I called myself yesterday and did a lot of research on some of the RV forums out there and so far this is what I've found...

1. Spots are in the far back of Gate 9 Parking Lot.

2. First come, first park.

3. PER NIGHT/CASH ONLY-$20 for trailer, $10 for towing vehicle, $10 if you want to put out your awning and use an extra space.

4. Gates open at 8am. Check out the following day at 10am (although I was told they don't enforce that).

5. Self Contained Camping Only. Generators OK. (There is a rumor about a honey wagon that goes around, but since we're only staying for 1 night I didn't look much into it.)

6. Once your hand is stamped at admission gate, you are free to come and go to your camper as you please.

Hope this helps anyone else looking for information! And feel free to post if you have any firsthand experience camping here...

Thanks!

GaryWT
08-06-2015, 01:09 PM
Good details, sounds interesting. Yes, we should have gone on a weekday but went on the middle Saturday which was a mistake. We like the state buildings and bought some furniture in the larger building that had all the various items for sale.

gearhead
08-14-2015, 04:34 PM
I gotta ask.
What goes on at Sodom Mountain?

Gaffer222
08-15-2015, 04:32 AM
I gotta ask.
What goes on at Sodom Mountain?

http://heroicageofexploration.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/deliverance_banjo_player.jpg%3Fw%3D500

gearhead
08-15-2015, 07:18 PM
margarita on the laptop screen

GaryWT
08-16-2015, 01:25 PM
What do you want to know about Sodom Mountain Campground as to what goes on there?