PDA

View Full Version : Ladder Nuts???

mikell
08-04-2015, 04:21 PM
OK what do they call that steel nut inside a ladder that rust out after a while. It's a one way kinda stamped steel thingy that holds a ladder together.

I'm googling whats left of my mind out to find them and rework my ladder

THANKS ALL because I know somebody knows

hankaye
08-04-2015, 04:24 PM
mikell, Howdy;

Gotta photo???
Are they a part of the ladder itself or where they attach to the RV???

hankaye

mikell
08-04-2015, 04:39 PM
It's the starish shaped nut that pushes inside the tube then as you tighten the bolt it digs in and tightens the ladder up. Inside the horizonal tubes that go from the RV mount to the ladder itself.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/star-fangled-nut-installation

These thingys

Bicycle shop?????

Larry1013
08-04-2015, 04:52 PM
try eBay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.XStar+F angled+Nut.TRS5&_nkw=Star+Fangled+Nut&_sacat=0

carwheel_09
08-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Got a couple of mounting brackets bent on my ladder. Ordered a stand off kit from a dealer and it came in with the wrong length legs. Called dealer back and was told they only have a universal kit for my rig. That I'd have to cut to the length I needed. I can do that but in looking at the star shaped bolts it looks like a special tool is required to insert them in the tubing. Anybody successful inserted them without the special tool?

X-Treme
08-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Got a couple of mounting brackets bent on my ladder. Ordered a stand off kit from a dealer and it came in with the wrong length legs. Called dealer back and was told they only have a universal kit for my rig. That I'd have to cut to the length I needed. I can do that but in looking at the star shaped bolts it looks like a special tool is required to insert them in the tubing. Anybody successful inserted them without the special tool?

Looking at the pictures, it looks like you could likely just use the "proper" sized socket, an extension and a hammer. Knock em in, and Bob's your Uncle.

SteveC7010
08-06-2015, 05:07 AM
Looking at the pictures, it looks like you could likely just use the "proper" sized socket, an extension and a hammer. Knock em in, and Bob's your Uncle.
Fully agree! The bulge of the convex shape is pointed into the tube first. That way, when you tighten up the stud, it pulls on the nut, forcing the tips of the star tighter into the walls of the tube.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_181281_0_7cd553847f57aaa11838ff5c61dbaa1c.gif

carwheel_09
08-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Going to go the socket route. The tool to insert them is pricey for a limited use. Did notice that the insertion tool threads the bolt on and then is hammered in place. Maybe find the correct size bolt and thread it on the nut and use the socket that fits the bolt and tap it in.

X-Treme
08-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Going to go the socket route. The tool to insert them is pricey for a limited use. Did notice that the insertion tool threads the bolt on and then is hammered in place. Maybe find the correct size bolt and thread it on the nut and use the socket that fits the bolt and tap it in.

I don't know if I'd do that. If you hit it too hard, you may damage the threads by just pushing on them. You could put a bolt in, but i wouldn't actually push on it. I'd still push on the "nut/washer".