PDA

View Full Version : Slide scratching Linoleum Floor

Bill & Deb
08-03-2015, 07:06 PM
We have had a problem with our 2014 Keystone Laredo 329RE kitchen slide (2 dr. fridge/Stove/Cabinet) ever since we got it in the fall of 2013. After wintering down south during the winter of 2014 the slide was scratching the floor on every in and out movement. So upon return we took the trailer in for service. The dealer had Keystone approve the entire floor being replaced. OK good we thought. So by September the job was done. By about mid November we noticed the slide scratching the floor again. The warranty is now over and we do not have time to get it in before leaving for Florida.
So jump forward till this spring and dealer says they will look at it. Ok great !
When I get it back they put a 2 ft by 1.5 ft piece wood like an 1/8 inch thick piece of panelling on the floor towards the right side of the slide.
When the slide comes in it does not scratch the floor it slides on and scratches the wood. Ingenious solution "NOT". When I picked it up I needed it for a trip a few days later. I just decided to give up on the dealer and resolve it myself.

My idea is to get a small piece of thin indoor outdoor carpeting. Put some gorilla glue on the backing. The when the slide is in and it is maximum height off the floor. Slide the carpeting backing up and place it under the front edge of the slide, out of sight.
My hope is the the carpeting will keep the slide from scratching the floor and the glue will hold it in place.

I would prefer not to try and adjust the slide myself, so this this plan B.

Thoughts ..... has this happened to anyone else ??

Bill

Alpine
08-03-2015, 07:53 PM
About two years into our fulltiming we noticed a hair-line mark on the flooring at the kitchen slide as well. I taped to the floor, over the scratch a piece of "heavy duty" cloth backed (belt sander) sandpaper, scratchy side up of course! After a couple of passes in and out with the slide presto the problem was solved. I think it may have been something brought in on the bottom of a shoe (small pebble). Thankfully we noticed the problem...before it became too noticeable!

vampress_me
08-03-2015, 07:56 PM
My question would be is it scratching in one specific place or along the whole width of the slide out?

Ours gouged the vinyl flooring in one specific spot at the edge of the slide out. I discovered the vertical L-shaped piece of metal the is behind the vertical wood trim of the slide out was about 1/8" too long on that side. The dealer used a dremel and cut that off, repaired the vinyl, and we have been great for a year now. Another cause of gouged in the vinyl that people have reported on here are screws or screw heads caught between the slide out floor and the camper floor.

Alpine
08-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Our scratch was not on the "edge" where the wood framing around the slide is. It was in the middle of the slide!

Campy
08-06-2015, 06:53 AM
My new Cougar had the dinette table mounting screws right through the slide floor sticking out the bottom about 1/8 inch. I caught it early and replaced the screws with bolts and "T"nuts on the bottom.

SteveC7010
08-06-2015, 07:52 AM
So by September the job was done. By about mid November we noticed the slide scratching the floor again.
I think the first thing to do is to try to find out what is causing the scratching. If it is a singe straight line scratch, you may be able to figure out how far under the slide-out floor the culprit is located. If you can do that, you may then be able to see if it is a screw or similar that protrudes too far below the bottom of the slide. How far out from the edge of the slide does the scratch go? If you can, how about posting a pic? That may help someone to pinpoint the cause.

I am guessing that you can not see any issues when the slide is out by crawling under it looking for sharp protrusions. The horizontal bottom seal on the large slide-outs is easily pulled down so you can see another couple of inches of the bottom.

My large galley slide extends 22.5" when fully opened. The base of the slide is approximately 28" wide. That means that there's only about 5.5" of the bottom of the slide that can not be visualized from the outside. That 5.5" is the easiest to get to on the inside because it is the leading edge. I am thinking that it should be possible to find the cause and eliminate it.

Yosemitebob
08-07-2015, 06:34 AM
replaced the screws with bolts and "T"nuts on the bottom.

Nice idea Campy I'll have to look into that.:D

tgpilot
08-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Interesting, on mine, one of the two slides is leaving a black mark from the chloroplast on the carpet when I run the slide in and out. May be a similar problem, will be interesting to see what you find. "bouncey:

hankaye
08-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Bill & Deb, Howdy;

I remembered one of out members had a somewhat similar problem
and his solution is in the following thread, twords the bottom of pg.1 and continued on pg.2.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19382&highlight=sliders+slide
Hope this helps or allows you to figure out some kind of solution.

hankaye