PDA

View Full Version : broken entry steps

Firemenfred
08-03-2015, 05:58 AM
i noticed that the top left rivet on my steps has broken. has anyone had this happen? and what was the fix? (proper and or not so) i did see a safety recall but my unit is not listed and Keystone wont cover it (second owner) understandable.

bsmith0404
08-03-2015, 06:19 AM
never seen it happen, but would guess that you could get a bolt in there to fix it as long as it doesn't interfere with the closing function. Another option would be a something like a clevis pin.

Face Down
08-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Had it happen on my old TT, I just replaced the rivets with some black pan head screws and Lock Nuts.

roybaker
08-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Thank you, this reminds me of a recall on my Montana 3155 I received a month ago. Call your dealer. Perhaps a recall applies to your unit also.

Firemenfred
08-05-2015, 05:23 AM
Thanks, i called to check on the recall and guess what, mine is not in the range. so i will look into the bolt option. thanks for your help.

SteveC7010
08-05-2015, 05:37 AM
i noticed that the top left rivet on my steps has broken. has anyone had this happen? and what was the fix? (proper and or not so) i did see a safety recall but my unit is not listed and Keystone wont cover it (second owner) understandable.
I whacked my steps on a guard rail post, tearing off the bottom step, and damaging the other two. The upper two steps were easily hammered back in place as it just bent the sheet metal a bit.

On the bottom step, I drilled out the torn hinge rivets and replaced them with 5/16" nuts and bolts with plenty of flat washers. I used nylok bolts and did not tighten them up all the way, allowing the step to swing up easily.

If you look closely, you can tell that the steps have been damaged and repaired, but functionally, they're 100%.