PDA

View Full Version : 1600 mile shake down trip

DiverB
08-01-2015, 07:15 PM
So I have had my Carbon 357 for almost a month now and have only slept in it once while it was sitting next to my house. I planned on taking a weekend trip about 100 miles away just to use it and check it all out, but my job has requested me to go to New Mexico for 60 days.

I just ordered an Air Ride pin box and will install it prior to leaving, I'm just wondering if I should take the stock tires off and upgrade to better ones. It will be fun actually using the trailer for 60 days while I'm working.

Any thoughts on leaving the stock tires on or changing them given its August and the pavement and temps are going to be warm

cw3jason
08-02-2015, 05:27 AM
If your financially able, upgrade the tires. If not keep them aired up to spec. and stay below 65 MPH. Do not exceed the weight or speed rating for the tires.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KanTC
08-02-2015, 07:39 AM
DiverB,

Chances are you're going to get mixed replies... probably 50% in favor of [changing tires], and 50% against. ;)
I say, if cost isn't an issue, and it makes you feel more "at ease" for your first long trip then change them.

Personally, we've never changed stock tires on any of our "brand new" RV's, and haven't had any issues -but- DH
is dilligent about tire care, tire pressures, speed limit & we check tire temps at every fuel/pit stop, etc.
cw3jason offered good advice, and I'll also suggest using "tire covers" while parked in our NM sun for 60 days. ;)

Enjoy the journey & your time in NM.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

bsmith0404
08-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Again, your money, your peace of mind. I've transported new RVs across NM, AZ, NV, CA in triple digits and haven't had a single tire issue (hope I didn't just jinx myself). Talking to other transporters I've learned that they used to get flats/blow outs on brand new trailers on a pretty regular basis, now they are rare. Many say they haven't had a problem in over 3 years. I personally ran my OE tires for over a year before upgrading.

dcg9381
08-03-2015, 06:21 AM
On tires, I'd say get it weighed and then see how close to gross you are.
Understand that the tires won't divide the load perfectly, so try to have it weighed on front and rear axles, but it's pretty easy to get over 90% of load rating on a single tire.

Then see what % of tire rating that you're at... If it's a reasonable %, I'd consider leaving it alone... But if you're up on the top end, I'd replace them. I replaced mine.

Other advice for shake down:
Secure your cabinet doors with bungee (closed). Eventually you'll figure out which doors are being held closed properly, but we did some cabinet damage due to doors coming open while traveling and then essentially tearing themselves out of the hinge...

DiverB
08-03-2015, 09:41 PM
I've always been good at keeping the tire pressure right where it it's suppose to be on all my vehicles, and I have an air compressor in the coach. I will most likely upgrade to better tires since these stock tires are only rated for 65mph. I prefer to tow at 72mph and most of the states I will be traveling in are 70-75mph states. My other trailer I had to bungee all the cabinets and drawers because they loved to work their way open.

I'm changing the pin box tomorrow. I went with the Trail Air Air Ride, got a great deal with free shipping from Amazon of all places, nearly $200 cheaper than etrailer.com