PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 2011 Keystone Summerland 1890FL

Swift River
03-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Hi All,

I am pretty close to buying a Summerland 1890FL. I have never owned or towed a travel trailer. For the most part it will be used on my property to provide a place to stay for my clients. But my wife will occasionally take it camping a few times a summer. The dry weight on it is 4,100 lbs. She has a 08 Nissan Xterra that has a limit of 5,000 lbs does anybody have any experience or comments on the safety and ability for her vehicle to tow this trailer? We will get load levelers and a sway bar for sure.

There is a smaller trailer available that would be fine for her to tow, but it is pretty small, more money (but not a lot) and I think the clients would be more comfortable in the Summerland. Also, I have a large truck that would have no probelm towing the bigger Summerland, so if I can go with her we would take my truck.

Also, how do people feel about the quality and over rating of this trailer?

Thanks for any responses

Happy Camping Buck

Springdale 298
04-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Well Buck. Take it from me who had a truck that pushed its limits on the GVWR once I hitched up. Your wife's TV is a V6 and you will know you're pulling something too. You'll be happier pulling with your pick up if it is atleast a full size 1/2 ton for that model TT. As for the Summerland. Checked them out at a local dealer, aside from lacking some cosmetic upgrades it is comparable to the Springdale. Should be good if you are only a part time camper.

John

katie2011
08-28-2011, 08:49 AM
I bought a 2009 1890FL in April 2010. If you haven't bought yours yet my advice would be to purchase the Model 2600TB instead or the equivelant model from Forest River. I think Forest River has a better unit and their Customer Service is definately superior to Keystone. First, the couch-bed is smaller than a double and not comfortable (hard & bumpy). The 2600TB has a queen bed AND the couch-bed and the rest of the configuration is the same as the 1890FL (but, at the expense of cabinet storage). The double next to the BR is also slightly smaller than double size. I had to do several things to my Keystone. The plywood under the "double" was 1/8" thick and I replaced it with 3/8" plywood because it flexed and was uncomfortable when sleeping on it. I also reinforced the support structure under the bed. The refrig drain was just dangling in the outside access compartment. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the compartment and added a drain line extension and threaded it thru an existing hole in the trailer floor with other hoses, wires, etc. Keystone also installs the gray water tank probs in such a way that it always reads 1/3 full. I installed a new common and 1/3 probe about equal with the middle of the gray water tank drain which sufficently corrects the problem. However, the gray water tank never fully empties (a design problem). If you do purchase the 1890FL try and get Dexter Axels with the EZ-Lub hubs and self adjusting brakes otherwise you will have to periodically pack axle bearings and adjust brakes. You will definately appreciate getting a load leveling hitch for your truck no matter what you buy.