PDA

View Full Version : A "new to me" discovery

JRTJH
07-31-2015, 12:21 PM
While dumping the black tank this morning, I decided to fill the gray tank so I could flush the hose. So, I was watching the shower pan for water to "creep up" indicating the gray tank was full. Fortunately I glanced back at the bathroom sink to find it slowly filling with water, "but the shower was dry" !!!!!

Anyway, after finishing the dumping, I started thinking about why the water didn't back up into the shower ????

So, after doing some research, it seems that the "new P traps" being used in RV's don't allow for water to flow "backwards". There is a rubber "valve" that opens to allow water to drain, but it is constructed so that water can't "backflow" through it. So, if you're inclined to fill your gray tank to flush your sewer hose, think about what kind of P trap is plumbed in your shower, you may never see water "creep" into the shower, even if the gray tank is "full to overflowing"........

BirchyBoy
07-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Alternatively, you could add water via your shower until it stops flowing out. That's what my wife likes to do when I don't check the levels often enough.

hankpage
07-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Alternatively, you could add water via your shower until it stops flowing out. That's what my wife likes to do when I don't check the levels often enough.

Please don't overload John with more than one new thing in a day. The rest of us moderators rely on him and don't want him to be overtaxed. "bouncey:

vampress_me
07-31-2015, 07:52 PM

Hehehe! Must be a wife thing. I like to do this too. :)

Steve S
08-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Please don't overload John with more than one new thing in a day. The rest of us moderators rely on him and don't want him to be overtaxed. "bouncey:
"bouncey:"bouncey: Now that just made me smile :)

jsmith948
08-01-2015, 02:25 PM
TWEEEEEET! Personal foul - Unnecessary roughness on a vacationing moderator.:D

chuckster57
08-01-2015, 03:36 PM
I just about fell over...I needed this laugh.

JRTJH
08-02-2015, 07:55 AM
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM OK GUYS :)

No really, Hank's right..... I do tend to "overanalyze" most situations. Rather than just accept that it "must work, somehow", I tend to "dig until I find out how it works and then try to figure out "why they chose that method". Must be something to do with all those years in medicine ??? It's not just "I have a headache" it's "WHY" and "WHAT HELPS" as well as "How can we prevent it from happening again?"

That's "sort of" how I look at RV problems......

Anyway....... thanks, jsmith948, so far it's been 21 days and we're still heading "west, away from home" so it'll be at least 6 weeks this summer, possibly longer before we're "not vacationing" LOL

hankpage
08-02-2015, 08:45 AM
John, I hope you are enjoying your trip. Just relax and don't "overanalyze" anything but perhaps an adult beverage or two after a long day of sightseeing. Travel safely, Hank

x96mnn
08-02-2015, 09:06 AM
Well, site never leaves me hanging!

Today while camping we are at sights on a river where they need to come and pump you out. Wife told me water was backing up in the sink so I gave them a ring to come dump us. Then I thought, wait a minute the sink drain is up 3 feet above the shower drain, what is up with this???

Pop on here and what is the first post, my answer lol.