PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire

DMK
07-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Does anyone have personal experince with Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire ST235 /80 R16 124L E1 BSW?

I am thinking of replacing my aging Trailer Kings to these, curious what others have experienced. One thing I like about the specs is the speed rating up to 75 mph...

bsmith0404
07-29-2015, 01:22 PM
I ran these tires on my last 5er and have the same tire, but 235/85-16F on my current 5er. I love the tires and don't plan to put anything else on the trailer. I have not pushed the speed rating on them, my truck gets the best fuel mileage at 67 so that is the speed I tow.

PARAPTOR
07-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Just recently updated my original tires to Carlisle ST235/85R-16F 95 PSI. You may want to check your wheels and make sure they will handle these tires. Do a search on wheels or rims to see mine as well as others comments on the combination of tires and wheel ratings

Bushman512000
07-30-2015, 01:35 AM
I have the 15" size 3years now not a problem of any kind I had them high speed spin balanced and new steal stems I run about 65 mph if hot a little slower..Heat is a big factor in tire separation. I like the 10ply safety and they are hard to find in 15"so that is one reason I went with them..I worked in the rubber business for 33-1/2 years and liked the specks of the tire I will buy them again in about 2 more years...Bushman:D

concours
08-03-2015, 09:08 PM
I put them on ours last fall and did a round trip from Kelowna BC to Hemet CA plus about 1500 km of travel since with no concerns tire wear is good and even. I run at just over 60 MPH and keep the pressure at just over 80 psi:)

T11ravis
08-06-2015, 03:14 PM
Does anyone have personal experince with Carlisle Radial Trail RH Trailer Tire ST235 /80 R16 124L E1 BSW?

I am thinking of replacing my aging Trailer Kings to these, curious what others have experienced. One thing I like about the specs is the speed rating up to 75 mph...

After 2 delams and 1 catastrophic failure in the first 6 mos. I switched to these and couldn't be more pleased. Discount Tire guy talked me into them when I went in to order a set of Maxxis, promised me they were on par with them.
I am 2 years and 2 months in without a single issue. :D

DMK
08-07-2015, 05:53 AM
Great to hear! I did go with them. I was so lucky to get as much time on my OEM Trailer Kings so I did, I knew I was on borrowed time and I wanted peace of mind before something did damage to my TH..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

T11ravis
08-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Good call!
Much better than dealing with this at 9pm on a Friday night.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_181379_0_db89cd9246a01a7b158390bd461034d8.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/t11ravis/media/tireblowout_zps443eea63.jpg.html)

gearhead
08-07-2015, 02:26 PM
This week I was at Discount Tire getting tires (Yokohama HTX) on the wife's Grand Cherokee. Asked the guys there about trailer tires and they highly recommended the Carlisle Radial Trail.

theeyres
08-07-2015, 07:33 PM
I, too, was ready to buy Maxxis at Discount Tire when the salesman gave be a great deal on the Trail. He kept swearing by them so I bought. Couldn't be more pleased, so far. No problems in two years and 7000 miles. Time will tell.

DMK
08-24-2015, 10:48 AM
That sucks Travis! Hope you didn't suffer too much damage to your TH!

DMK
08-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Just recently updated my original tires to Carlisle ST235/85R-16F 95 PSI. You may want to check your wheels and make sure they will handle these tires. Do a search on wheels or rims to see mine as well as others comments on the combination of tires and wheel ratings

Yes, PARAPTOR, the specs are stamped on the back side of the rim on the spokes. All is good, thanks!

Just returned from an over 3k mile trip, and all is great so far!

PARAPTOR
08-24-2015, 11:47 AM
DMK Also GREAT here although have to admit had concerns with the Tire pressure/wheel rating. Currently running tires at 95 PSI and as you know wheel rating is 110 PSI. Highest Tire Pressure noted to date is 107 PSI traveling from Texas to Home. That is around a 12 and a half percent pressure rise. Not sure what the Max pressure will be. Would like some more margin, however as a worst case test other members are putting G rated tires (110 PSI) on these same wheels. At 110 PSI given a similar 12.5 pressure raise due the road temps their pressures are around 124 PSI :eek: on these same wheels. Have not heard of any failures on this combination but personally would not feel comfortable doing the same.

T11ravis
08-24-2015, 02:22 PM
That sucks Travis! Hope you didn't suffer too much damage to your TH!

Zero damage believe it or not!
Took 30 mins. to cut the tire off the back of the axle as it had wrapped around melted onto itself but that's it.
I was pretty damn lucky. :D

TomHaycraft
11-15-2015, 05:48 PM
First blow-out, 3 1/4 years with at least one trip a month. No damage to siding/trim, busted a hole in the plywood and pulled some wires down. Haven't run all circuits, but I know slide is dead.

Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST205/75R15 107B (load range D), ,manufactured 19th week of 2014. Curb-side rear (just above and in front of converter / power center). 7,684 miles on these tires. 3,247 mi since the last rotation and re-balance. Meticulous about pressures, run at max cold PSI = 65 with TPMS. Cruise control at no more than 65 to 66 mph. No curbs hit, but, Texas roads can get a bit rough at times. 5/32 on inner tread, 7/32 in middle and outer. All other tires run from 4/32 to 7/32. At highway speed, about 25 miles from home. Wife and I heard bang, I felt shudder and saw "snow" (insulation) in right mirror and then TPMS started alarming. No fault of TPMS, temps and pressures had shown normal variability on today's trip, confident I had not lost signal, no loss in pressure, it just blew.

I replaced the OEM tires at 9,541 mi in July of 2014, 2/32 to 3/32 on the inner or outer sides of tread on various tires.

When shopping for the Carlisles last year, couldn't go to 16" due to limited clearance above tires. I increased from a load range C to D for what I had hoped would be a bit more buffer.

Not sure if this is a one-off, or if I should consider again my options to move to an LT tire.

Self-Explanatory! (https://goo.gl/photos/R4RoqCE3fJ2CDhU9A)

bsmith0404
11-15-2015, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your blowout and electrical damage. I am curious about the large difference I tread depth across your tires. Makes me think one of two things, either pressures or alignment issues. Based on he fact that they are wearing on one side, that leads me to believe alignment. Although you were running a TPMS which shows the tire temps, I can't help but think there had to be some additional heat build up with the scuffing that had to be occurring. The RH begins with 10/32, so your tires are showing double amounts of wear across the tread face. You say the TX roads in your area are rough, maybe it's time to check the alignment???

Desert185
11-16-2015, 06:54 AM
I recently installed Carlisle's on my 16', enclosed, utility trailer that had non-ST tires for many years. They were beginning to delaminate so I went with LRD's vs LRC's for the same price at Discount tire. Have only towed it twice since then, but with metal stems and balancing I am anticipating good results, as I have had so far.

At this point in time, I would only use Maxxis or Carlisle tires on my trailers.

TomHaycraft
11-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your blowout and electrical damage. I am curious about the large difference I tread depth across your tires. Makes me think one of two things, either pressures or alignment issues. Based on he fact that they are wearing on one side, that leads me to believe alignment. Although you were running a TPMS which shows the tire temps, I can't help but think there had to be some additional heat build up with the scuffing that had to be occurring. The RH begins with 10/32, so your tires are showing double amounts of wear across the tread face. You say the TX roads in your area are rough, maybe it's time to check the alignment???

Yes, alignment is on my "Christmas wish list!" Installed a wet-bolt kit back in February 2014. Covered storage, no direct sun, certainly an indirect component.

Fuel stops and end of day, I will place a hand on the tread and hand on the lug nuts, never any significant difference in warmth (never hot). Yesterday, I had driven about 125 miles, less than 30 miles from home.

On Saturday, tire will get shipped off to Carlisle for them to inspect. Discount Tire Company indicated they are known to pay for collateral damage, fingers crossed, no guarantees they will pay though. USAA adjuster will assess the tire and damage to trailer before I part with the old tire. From CAT scale receipts to demonstration of proper maintenance of suspension and use of TPMS, I'm hopeful Carlisle will cover things and keep USAA out of it!

Here are a couple images of measured tread depths. I'll keep folks posted on the outcome.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/UwwTrutThDUmbfHaTMknaIsJDpSw5mYr209xMah2G3apiGLoGU S9EX2a2sa9CMUhPR8X2Jd2f0Lzt7_YpndLllw3QTs-sra3yE3JyAc_E3n0mzuG_Msi6EZdxndztRipvUYhjLCctbJofy ALzc8FX0aU1M7ghlXSjfSUr7mMq4s8J7-Ho96cATTMJ74pcRsax9LeBLUNvV1Yqg5M5ozn9R6R085icfu99 TAAHSuVgpNTgaQdQjkFK2172xkvTXaIqJjRfe3D5MqN7bflQ-2p0rGnTgzhC0phgtl7qjRBgRZhXIo9XtXOB9LXvCGaZi-z_vhra1Hy36JHA-HXzYrjZ9zliATZkpij106l9Z-BfBB1PIOHB2wHNwJ3EOrQl3e0BDWoQJwYQ1T4CclttGuweOlgJ ORtK_5Pgznl_5cQqFcwSWZfmMdokNmt7E2l2hk6Cr9Z4VP23xk LpzjZiYf4S_Ivmy0u9UE44vvyqchu7wqr7A92pi4pWAitbaeHj ZUi2uqNvCMoeQJJV83-Qyk0e4PgrUzp54w3iCoEq--yeH4=w476-h594-no https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OlQCE_r11uduLMhkwt7SH5jLv6YZk4CvMhulBgyUF1hrcTrVHx KzqIBeOUXa5kFT0-urdgWK3iv7NFa4sHFtgXpv_VVjxzCo8t87xu6sOLermezE40tC gp4uxTpairrCq69JOK8_IeTgx8mpp_aiFSjpx_hWwI7ay_CfED 5hmuheUajMvdAsi80I4RoBxvDDG2IX9v-pzyvQ0qGtDGlrYnJfY-ci1huFwJP60QQJLVOqsZBkbycYfNwc0D4D8oUhRTevHzj66IDK 3UJ1F-TO2ZGo6mLXM_AtpSu7GfuREUo7qKY_MoN5AUwRm0jQYZxVmcAS wLvL6nkoDV4jLxUXsLi26FJYNHmklcUVvTeFuCsIfRkij6lrUF X26hXM9hSZ4VemYkGSycF_fBzhEB6lCfse0fkRUAjywST9LCAk zpGGFANGK_E0Cz4haquz1aULA3CfaDZQSqrGUBB3upsYBqtVHB PYb9CjQH-f7TpwjqbPBZCwgWryf22da5Nvd-yPyjxoNsvstm448APmIPmbpOj4FdYmlWzb99IpSjf2hWE=w510-h597-no

TomHaycraft
11-20-2015, 04:05 AM
Next steps in the above blow out story ...

A question first: Where should my expectations for ST trailer tires be, in terms of wear and life? Is it realistic to expect 15 to 20,000 miles with +/- 1/32 across the face of the tread? Does a spread-axle set up quicken the wear with each axle farther from the pivot point? (ok, more than one question!)

Second quandary: Is it possible to tell visually, without measurements, that the axles are bad? In particular, the axles don't have a slight bow or arc, but are straight.

I ask the question about axles, as that is the first thing I was told when calling the RV repair shop (large operation, not CW, insurance indicated one of their preferred shops ... for what that's worth) to follow up on the estimate for repairs, was that the axles needed to be replaced, and it was only on visual appearance, no measurements. Never mind I have a hole in the decking and wiring damage! I was told to not worry about it, it could be covered under the comprehensive of the policy.

What are the odds? Is the shop inflating the estimate for their profit? OEM tires had similar wear, 2,000 more miles when I replaced them (just short of 10,000), but no failure.

Thanks in advance for any input the collective group has!

slow
11-20-2015, 05:57 AM
If I am interpreting your sketch of thread depth properly, the tires on the front axle wore at a much faster rate than those on the rear axle. Am I right in with that conclusion?

Which tire did you have the blow out on?

Is your rig level or nose down thereby placing extra load on the front axle?

TomHaycraft
11-20-2015, 05:06 PM
Diagrams have king pin at top, as though you are looking down on trailer from above.

On left, depths at first 4,700 miles, majority of miles were pulled by my 1/2 ton truck and trailer was level. Inner (medial for those in the medical field) side of left rear tire was the worst at 5/32. That is the location I believe most in need of alignment. Right rear had equal reduction inner/outer tread depth, not sure what to make of that.

Diagram on the right side, 3,700 miles after the rotation that left rear is now left front and difference in tread depth is equalizing.

Since May, I've been pulling with the 3500HD and a bit nose up. No difference in pressure or temp front to rear.

bsmith0404
11-21-2015, 05:34 AM

A question first: Where should my expectations for ST trailer tires be, in terms of wear and life? Is it realistic to expect 15 to 20,000 miles with +/- 1/32 across the face of the tread? Does a spread-axle set up quicken the wear with each axle farther from the pivot point? (ok, more than one question!)
even tire wear can and should be expected if alignment and inflation pressures are correct. Based on your diagram of wear I have concerns of both. Wear on one side of a tire indicates an alignment issue. More wear on both edges vs the center of the tire indicate low air pressure. You say you always keep your pressures at max, which makes me wonder about the load on each tire. Have you taken it to the scales and weighed each axle separately to check load vs load rating? I often adjust my air pressures based on wear pattern. Center wear=pressure too high, outside wear=pressure too low.

Second quandary: Is it possible to tell visually, without measurements, that the axles are bad? In particular, the axles don't have a slight bow or arc, but are straight.
A visual inspection can give you some indication of axle condition, such as the absence of a slight bow or arc that they should have. A check with a string and tape measure is easy to do and will tell you more. Have someone help you and run a string across the front and rear of each tire to check the toe. A string works well because its easier to hold at the edge of the tread, pull tight and mark at the edge of the tread on the other tire. I mark the string with a sharpie when I measure across the front side of the tire, making it very easy to see where the mark is when you go across the back side of the tire. To avoid confusion you can use a different string for each axle or a different color sharpie. A tape measure checking the clearance of the axle at different points will tell you how much bow it has. Then a call to the manufacturer will verify if the axle bow is within spec.

I ask the question about axles, as that is the first thing I was told when calling the RV repair shop (large operation, not CW, insurance indicated one of their preferred shops ... for what that's worth) to follow up on the estimate for repairs, was that the axles needed to be replaced, and it was only on visual appearance, no measurements. Never mind I have a hole in the decking and wiring damage! I was told to not worry about it, it could be covered under the comprehensive of the policy.

What are the odds? Is the shop inflating the estimate for their profit? OEM tires had similar wear, 2,000 more miles when I replaced them (just short of 10,000), but no failure.
I doubt they are inflating the estimate for personal profit. Usually they will give worst case scenario. Much better t give a $3000 estimate and do $1500 in repairs that the other way around. Also, with the unusual wear you are indicating could be caused by many factors, not easy to pinpoint exactly what the problem is without a good inspection.

Thanks in advance for any input the collective group has![/QUOTE]

CWtheMan
11-21-2015, 11:04 AM
The references listed below have relevant information for this thread.

http://www.centrevilletrailer.com/how-to/trailer-axle-alignment-trailer-tire-wear/

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/cms_files/original/Trailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/cms_files/original/Carlisle_limitedTire_warranty1.pdf

TomHaycraft
11-22-2015, 06:44 AM

[COLOR="Red"]even tire wear can and should be expected if alignment and inflation pressures are correct. Based on your diagram of wear I have concerns of both. {...}

Brent, thanks so much for the information and your time to share it.

The concepts are coming together for me.

Based on tread depths (pre-rotation) alone, I'm seeing the potential of negative camber on both left tires. Bent spindles? Both right tires show a picture of under inflation. Of interest, numbers are very similar from the OEM tires before I replaced them! Shoulda' scoped it out better then!

Reminder, it was the right rear that blew-out.

I have a ~$30 digital tire gauge that consistently shows +2 psi over the external TPMS sending units. With tread pattern indicating under inflation, what is the chance 2 devices are reporting artificially high numbers, resulting in under inflated tires, but only the right side?!?!? If the left side of the trailer is lighter than the right (slide on left; refer, furnace and water heater on the right), I'm guessing this could be partially explained?

Next steps: (1) compare digital pressure gauge to a standard, (2) find some portable truck scales where I can get individual wheel weights, (3) get some measurements to confirm wheel / axle / frame alignments.

Note to self: Add measurements to confirm wheel / axle / frame alignment to the PDI on my next trailer!

Thanks again, I'll post updates as this plays out.