PDA

View Full Version : Fiat Chrysler to buy back pickups

Larry1013
07-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Appears Chrysler is going to buy back approx 300,000 pickups.

Trucks in the two recalls include certain 2008 to 2012 Ram 2500 4 by 4 and 3500 4 by 4, the 2012 Ram 3500 4 by 2 Chassis Cab and the 2008 Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4 by 4. Also covered are the Ram 4500 and 5500 from the 2008.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ap-sources-fiat-chrysler-buy-215648095.html

Seabee
07-27-2015, 02:33 AM
Good to know, thanks for posting this. Been looking at getting a new tow rig, this information changes things.

jimbari
07-27-2015, 03:44 AM
It is good to know.
Not looking at any of these years, but am looking at a Cummins RAM2500.
Time will tell.

Finallyonair
07-27-2015, 05:42 AM
If they did questionable work for all those years and got away with it until now.... i doubt they stopped in 2012. Just haven't had enough claims yet to go full blown like this one.

bsmith0404
07-27-2015, 06:22 AM
This is actually really surprising. I think it's fairly common knowledge that Ram has had issues in the past with front end problems, but with several recalls you would have thought they would have fixed it. I find it amazing that it has gotten to this level. Will be interesting to see the details when they are finally released. Hard to imagine 300,000 dodge trucks being completely removed from the streets.

vampress_me
07-27-2015, 06:40 AM
From what I read, FCA says they will be allowed to fix and resell the trucks they buy back. I feel sorry for the owners who are hoping for a decent buy-back offer though. But, that feeling may just come from my dealing with Dodge on the cracked block in our '99 diesel.

bsmith0404
07-27-2015, 06:42 AM
A little more info. Looks like it involves some Jeeps as well, but not clear on which ones.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2015/nhtsa-fiat-chrysler-enforcement-action-07262015

Festus2
07-27-2015, 06:53 AM
I read a comment "somewhere" that, because of the magnitude of the problem (steering I believe), it wouldn't be worth fixing. It went on to say that if there is a buy back, the manufacturer usually doesn't bother trying to repair it.

Once the owner turns in the truck to be bought back, is he required to buy another Dodge or can he/she take cash instead and buy another brand? If it were me, I'm not sure if I would want another Dodge. But if you are a loyal Dodge fan, you'd probably stay with them despite the recall and the length of time the problem has apparently existed.

Strange that this recall does not apply in Canada which begs the question "What are we waiting for?" Surely, if the steering is faulty in the U.S., it is also faulty across the border in Canada, eh? Unlike in the US, the Canadian government cannot force a manufacturer to recall defective vehicles. Instead, it is left up to the manufacturer to issue the recall.

Jeeps' problems are with the location of the gas tank. It apparently is mounted in an "unprotected" area of the undercarriage and left vulnerable to rear end collisions.

{tpc}
07-27-2015, 09:36 AM
What are they going to do with all these trucks? Crush them? I wonder what in the steering or suspension makes it too costly to fix?

Seabee
07-27-2015, 11:20 AM
What are they going to do with all these trucks? Crush them? I wonder what in the steering or suspension makes it too costly to fix?

Just google "dodge death wobble".

bsmith0404
07-27-2015, 02:59 PM

Well considering they have had 21 recalls (I think that's the number I read) and still haven't been able to fix them. All of that has lead to the buy back along with $105m in fines, it must be something pretty serious.

chuckster57
07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
What are they going to do with all these trucks?

Make them into

Friggen
Old
Rebuilt
Dodge's ??

This coming from a Ford person LOL. If in fact they do buy back a vehicle covered in the recall, what is the price being paid and how is it being determined? I can see a lot of unhappy people coming (sp).

Steve S
07-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Before it was Fiat Dodge had the death wobble since I think 2000 and there was no cure for it, trust me I spent thousands trying to get it fixed on my 2001 Ram 250 4x4.
Towing with that truck and going downhill was a freaking nightmare!
I really hope that they compensate people properly as most people worked hard to save their money to buy these trucks.

Desert185
07-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Before it was Fiat Dodge had the death wobble since I think 2000 and there was no cure for it, trust me I spent thousands trying to get it fixed on my 2001 Ram 250 4x4.
Towing with that truck and going downhill was a freaking nightmare!
I really hope that they compensate people properly as most people worked hard to save their money to buy these trucks.

I've had two Dodge Rams of that vintage with over 300,000 miles combined. Never had a wobble. Could it be something I'm doing wrong? :)

hankpage
07-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Details of the buybacks are expected to be released shortly by NHTSA.

Original numbers were 500k now down to 300k .... lets wait to see what the final outcome will be before we speculate a huge scrap pile.
I know there are a lot of Ford owners drooling over the thought of cheap Cummins engines becoming available .... don't count your chickens ....... :D

Many of the problems seem to be with vehicles that have been modified in some way. (oversize tires, body lifts, etc. ) I doubt that FCA will be paying anything for those. As they say on the truck forums " You became your own warranty company".

As Desert185 said, I have had Dodge trucks since 1989 .... Yes, the local front end shop knows me by my first name from visits every 100k mi. or so, but always left there better than new for another 100k mi. or more.

My biggest question is, "What is the government going to do with the $105 million fine ......... I'll bet the owners of the trucks affected won't see a dime. As usual ... JM2¢, Hank

Ram189
07-28-2015, 10:04 AM
The truck problem was not the wobble. The never issued a recall for that at all.

It was in the steering link or radius arm or something. The started out bolted together with clamps. Then changed the design and that started breaking then changed it again. Basically they rebuilt the suspension like 3 or 4 times with different parts.
The other thing is the Jeep Liberty's in rear end collisions. This has been going on for 3 years and still not definite fix. Any aftermarket trailer hitch on these things and they become time bombs.

I think most of the trucks involved were 1500's not 2500 or 3500's.

Someone said it was halfassed work. It was not it was poor designs like most of the recalls that come out are based on. Has nothing to do with dealers or workmanship usually.

This will put Ram trucks back 10 years in sales. They will basically have to start all over again in building the publics trust if they don't get out in front of the PR on this.

vampress_me
07-28-2015, 12:42 PM
It was in the steering link or radius arm or something. The started out bolted together with clamps. Then changed the design and that started breaking then changed it again. Basically they rebuilt the suspension like 3 or 4 times with different parts.

We had a'99 Dodge 2500 Cummins, a friend had a '98 2500 Cummins. Both of us had to replace the track bar in the front end once or twice a year because of how loose the steering would become. Especially scary in winter when you weren't sure if you were driving on sheet ice in a storm or just wandering due to poor steering. So, you gotta wonder if the "death wobble", the track bar issues, and now this all come from the same poor design that they kept trying to "improved"?

Of course, this was the same truck I accidentally found out the power steering pump also controlled the brakes. When brand new power steering pump blew a hose because installed wrong by our local dealer, I had no brakes. I loved that engine, but sometimes I can't believe we survived the truck due to some of the engineering design.

BirchyBoy
07-28-2015, 12:50 PM
The person at Fiat that pushed the Chrysler deal through will likely be looking for a new job in the near future.

Larry1013
07-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Fiat/Chrysler was shopping the company to GM and Ford this past year. Guess GM and Ford are glad they didn't buy it?

TheSweetLife
07-28-2015, 01:49 PM
Does this effect 2014 and newer models? I am/was shopping for a 2014 but am a little hesitant now.

Festus2
07-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Does this effect 2014 and newer models? I am/was shopping for a 2014 but am a little hesitant now.

Check out the link in Post #1 --- it doesn't appear as though 2014 models will be affected but why not wait until the "official" word comes out before making any buying decisions?

TheSweetLife
07-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Good call. Plus as long as truck doesn't sell then the price may drop some more.

bsmith0404
07-28-2015, 02:22 PM
From what I've seen, the recall/buy back only goes through 2012 since 2013 saw a redesigned front suspension/steering. With that said, check out this video of a 2013. There have been a number of things blamed for/related to the death wobble from tie rods, to ball joints, even steering boxes. Apparently changing everything out can solve the problem temporarily, but for some reason they can't come up with a perm fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5WSkokN1M

Desert185
07-28-2015, 04:10 PM
We had a'99 Dodge 2500 Cummins, a friend had a '98 2500 Cummins. Both of us had to replace the track bar in the front end once or twice a year because of how loose the steering would become. Especially scary in winter when you weren't sure if you were driving on sheet ice in a storm or just wandering due to poor steering. So, you gotta wonder if the "death wobble", the track bar issues, and now this all come from the same poor design that they kept trying to "improved"?

Of course, this was the same truck I accidentally found out the power steering pump also controlled the brakes. When brand new power steering pump blew a hose because installed wrong by our local dealer, I had no brakes. I loved that engine, but sometimes I can't believe we survived the truck due to some of the engineering design.

Its called a hydro boost system vs a vacuum boost system. Diesels don't have vacuum like gas engines, so you either have a vacuum pump as a vacuum source or a hydro boost system that uses a hydraulic pump off the power steering pump, which is actually more powerful and effective than a vacuum boost system for what we do with these TV's. :thumbsup:

https://matthewghrist.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/hydro-vs-vacuum-boost-brake-systems/

T3/T4 Hybrid
07-30-2015, 04:45 PM
I've had two Dodge Rams of that vintage with over 300,000 miles combined. Never had a wobble. Could it be something I'm doing wrong? :)

Desert, you and me are in the same boat. I didn't have any issues with either my 01 4X4 off road or my 04 2500 4X4 other than both rode like trucks. LOL :D Im not saying its not there in some trucks I guess I was lucky for once.

My new 15 Ram rides as well as my sisters Tahoe so I'm pretty happy because the DW is happy and us married guys know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

DirtyOil
08-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Desert, you and me are in the same boat. I didn't have any issues with either my 01 4X4 off road or my 04 2500 4X4 other than both rode like trucks. LOL :D Im not saying its not there in some trucks I guess I was lucky for once.

My new 15 Ram rides as well as my sisters Tahoe so I'm pretty happy because the DW is happy and us married guys know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

x3... never had any issues with 1st gen 3500, or the 2005 3500 which also had 35" tires and 6" lift and so far nothing on the 2013 and I use them as my work and play truck.

BirchyBoy
08-24-2015, 02:14 PM
We've started looking around for a used 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck for a tow vehicle. I called the dealer we bought our Grand Cherokee through to see what they have. He started to tell me about great deal on a 2010 Dodge 3500 quad cab. I took a look a the recent recall/buy back and it covers 2008 - 2012. It also says that a truck that has had recalls fixed is not eligible for the buy back, and that owners can choose to have their truck fixed instead of selling it back. I ran the VIN and it came back as having no recalls outstanding.

Now I'm really confused. Are these trucks safe or not?

bsmith0404
08-24-2015, 06:34 PM
We've started looking around for a used 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck for a tow vehicle. I called the dealer we bought our Grand Cherokee through to see what they have. He started to tell me about great deal on a 2010 Dodge 3500 quad cab. I took a look a the recent recall/buy back and it covers 2008 - 2012. It also says that a truck that has had recalls fixed is not eligible for the buy back, and that owners can choose to have their truck fixed instead of selling it back. I ran the VIN and it came back as having no recalls outstanding.

Now I'm really confused. Are these trucks safe or not?

There is so much he said she said going on with these trucks. For everyone that has had problems there's someone else who hasn't had a problem. Personally, I say why take a chance? Would you buy a 6.0 Ford knowing all of the problems they've had? Again, some say they are great, others can't keep one running. Same with the early, 01/02 duramax with injector problems. I'd prefer to buy a truck that doesn't have a known problem history.

BirchyBoy
08-24-2015, 06:37 PM
There is so much he said she said going on with these trucks. For everyone that has had problems there's someone else who hasn't had a problem. Personally, I say why take a chance? Would you buy a 6.0 Ford knowing all of the problems they've had? Again, some say they are great, others can't keep one running. Same with the early, 01/02 duramax with injector problems. I'd prefer to buy a truck that doesn't have a known problem history.

Good point. Thanks.

notanlines
08-25-2015, 03:40 AM
•278,229 vehicles recalled on February 6, 2013 because of a defect that may cause the axle to lock including the:

2009 model year Chrysler Aspen

2009 model year Dodge Durango

2009-2012 model years Dodge Ram 1500

2009-2011 model years Dodge Dakota

•36,710 vehicles recalled on November 6, 2013 because of a defect that may cause the driver to lose steering power and crash:

2008-2012 model years Dodge Ram 4500

2008-2012 model years Dodge Ram 5500

•265,057 vehicles recalled on November 6, 2013, to repair and replace steering linkages that may cause the driver to lose steering power and crash:

2008 model year Dodge Ram 1500

2008-2012 model years Dodge Ram 2500

2008-2012 model years Dodge Ram 3500

DirtyOil
08-25-2015, 02:27 PM
OMG!!!... I finally experienced the dreaded "Death Wobble", it was frightening... I am still shaking. Thank God the DW wasn't there to experience it... my ears would be still ringing.... (she's a "screamer"). I started off the day with a visit to the local Costco to fetch a few things... stock up sorta thing. Grabbed a cart and pulled my Costco "badge/ID" out of the wallet and presented it to the very stern and intimidating grandmother looking lady at the overhead door entrance. As I pushed my cart down the various towering aisles, I noticed the right front wheel start to shimmy.... just a wee bit, wasn't constant but as I added a case lot of Bush's baked beans it shimmied a bit more... next few aisles I added more to the cart - bale of toilet tissue (Kirkland brand) and yet another, bale of paper towels and then down another towering aisle loaded up a barrel of vanilla extract (I like to bake as well). That front right really started to wobble, it wasn't till I loaded on "Triple chocolate 2-bite brownies" that it got to the point it was taking almost all I had to control the front end of my cart. I sped up... still couldn't control it.... I slowed down my pace and still it wobbled. Just as I turned towards the meat counter to pick up some triple AAA Alberta beef, a young mother with 4 young children (one was screaming at the top of her lungs for ice-cream) the other 3 hanging off the cart turned towards me... EGADS!!! both front wheels on her cart were wobbling like crazed squirrels in a peanut processing plant. We collided, carts entangled, kids screaming, vanilla extract flooding the area and my pallet of Kirkland eggs crushed. Thankfully, no one was hurt, Costco employees swooped in like frozen molasses dragging a case of Swifter Wet Mops to start the clean-up. Since everything in my cart was destroyed I left Costco with only, a tray of apple turnovers and a five gallon jerry can of chocolate milk to steady my nerves... never again will I use a Costco shopping cart! :bdance:

bsmith0404
08-25-2015, 02:38 PM
OMG!!!... I finally experienced the dreaded "Death Wobble", it was frightening... I am still shaking. Thank God the DW wasn't there to experience it... my ears would be still ringing.... (she's a "screamer"). I started off the day with a visit to the local Costco to fetch a few things... stock up sorta thing. Grabbed a cart and pulled my Costco "badge/ID" out of the wallet and presented it to the very stern and intimidating grandmother looking lady at the overhead door entrance. As I pushed my cart down the various towering aisles, I noticed the right front wheel start to shimmy.... just a wee bit, wasn't constant but as I added a case lot of Bush's baked beans it shimmied a bit more... next few aisles I added more to the cart - bale of toilet tissue (Kirkland brand) and yet another, bale of paper towels and then down another towering aisle loaded up a barrel of vanilla extract (I like to bake as well). That front right really started to wobble, it wasn't till I loaded on "Triple chocolate 2-bite brownies" that it got to the point it was taking almost all I had to control the front end of my cart. I sped up... still couldn't control it.... I slowed down my pace and still it wobbled. Just as I turned towards the meat counter to pick up some triple AAA Alberta beef, a young mother with 4 young children (one was screaming at the top of her lungs for ice-cream) the other 3 hanging off the cart turned towards me... EGADS!!! both front wheels on her cart were wobbling like crazed squirrels in a peanut processing plant. We collided, carts entangled, kids screaming, vanilla extract flooding the area and my pallet of Kirkland eggs crushed. Thankfully, no one was hurt, Costco employees swooped in like frozen molasses dragging a case of Swifter Wet Mops to start the clean-up. Since everything in my cart was destroyed I left Costco with only, a tray of apple turnovers and a five gallon jerry can of chocolate milk to steady my nerves... never again will I use a Costco shopping cart! :bdance:

There's a good chance your Costco shopping cart and 3500 Ram have the same front suspension parts :) I'll be watching for the Costco cart recall and hope I don't get one with a Dodge front end on my next visit.

DirtyOil
08-25-2015, 03:00 PM
I thought the same... but the cart looked beat up, could have been a Chevy as they also have succumbed to " Death Wobble"... or was it just another Ford, they too experienced death wobble. Now, that I think of it... I believe I saw a "Blue Oval" insignia attached to the "child seat" of my cart!? :D

bsmith0404
08-25-2015, 03:06 PM
I thought the same... but the cart looked beat up, could have been a Chevy as they also have succumbed to " Death Wobble"... or was it just another Ford, they too experienced death wobble. Now, that I think of it... I believe I saw a "Blue Oval" insignia attached to the "child seat" of my cart!? :D

If it had doors we could answer the question for sure, if they don't close, old Dodge, if they close only after being slammed really hard old Ford, if they had rust along the bottom, but close okay old chevy....since your cart was a doorless model we may never know for sure.

DirtyOil
08-25-2015, 03:19 PM
If it had doors we could answer the question for sure, if they don't close, old Dodge, if they close only after being slammed really hard old Ford, if they had rust along the bottom, but close okay old chevy....since your cart was a doorless model we may never know for sure.

LOL.... it might have been a old Willys MB Jeep. "bouncey:

rhagfo
08-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Only time I had death Wobble, was a 64 Econoline Van, hit a set of RR tracks and yeahaw! New set of King Pin Bushings fixed the issue!!

notanlines
08-26-2015, 03:20 AM
"There's a good chance your Costco shopping cart and 3500 Ram have the same front suspension parts" Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

ncgrl1
08-26-2015, 01:38 PM
"There's a good chance your Costco shopping cart and 3500 Ram have the same front suspension parts" Now that's funny I don't care who you are!

I didn't think so!

C130
09-06-2015, 02:09 PM
I'm not stating any opinion on any of the trucks but I had an interesting conversion a couple of days ago with a RAM owner. We were filling up our trucks with diesel and he asked me how I liked my truck. He then went on to tell me his truck, a 2014 RAM DRW, was part of the "buyback". He had just returned from a month offshore and was trying to figure out what to do with the truck. He told me had had gone through 4 sets of front tires, front end wobbled like crazy at certain speeds and conditions. He said he'd take it in for an alignment check and it would be good but when he drove it the front front wheels would be at an angle, out of alignment bad, and wear the tires out in a very short period of time.

He said other than the front end he loved the truck but let's just say he was pissed overall. He said he was definitely not buying another RAM and not giving the truck back to them unless he got a fair price and was really dreading dealing with the whole issue. I knew about the recall as my brother in law recently traded in his RAM as part of the recall but didn't realize it affected the 2014 DRW trucks also. I've owned a a very problematic vehicle and it sucks and costs a clot of money starting all over with a new payment. What a mess, it can happen to any manufacturer and I'm definitely not putting down the RAM's, just sucks for the owners.

hankpage
09-06-2015, 07:28 PM
He told me had had gone through 4 sets of front tires, front end wobbled like crazy at certain speeds and conditions. He said he'd take it in for an alignment check and it would be good but when he drove it the front front wheels would be at an angle, out of alignment bad, and wear the tires out in a very short period of time.

He doesn't need another truck, he needs another front end shop. Dealers are just highly paid parts changers. Yes, it will return but it can be fixed with after-market parts and last on most for 60 - 100K. Not good but the nature of the beast and better than loosing your shirt and offering mega $$$ and your first born for a new truck. This is just my opinion and what I would do if my truck was affected. Front ends have always been a weakness on Dodge trucks.

bsmith0404
09-06-2015, 07:58 PM
I wouldn't say dealers are just highly paid parts changers, I know and have worked with some very good mechanics that work at dealerships. The problem if he took it to the dealership is that they will replace the parts with OE parts instead of after market. There are some very good companies that have developed parts that are supposed to fix the problems. Of course, with it being a 2014, it's still under warranty. Why would you want to or why should you have to pay to fix the problem?

Ram189
09-06-2015, 08:17 PM
A 2014 is not part of any buy back problem/program. If he has had 4 sets of tires on a 2014 how many miles does it have on it? Sounds like that guy needs to learn how to drive.

As for dealers being part changers, then why is it that when anyone can't figure out what is going on they say "We have done all we can go to the dealership"

Seems like everyone knows who is and who is not good at their job but never has done it a day in their life.

Yak
09-07-2015, 01:46 PM
As for dealers being part changers, then why is it that when anyone can't figure out what is going on they say "We have done all we can go to the dealership"

This Ford tech thanks you

Desert185
09-08-2015, 07:07 AM
This Ford tech thanks you

Uh oh. Ford tech driving a Dodge. Like to hear that story.

BTW, its the dealer more than the techs. I've had problems with private, chain repair shops and dealers. I cringe when I can't do something myself and have to take it to a shop.

Ditto on aftermarket parts like the 47RH trannies that Dodge used to use. I went Suncoast for an aftermarket, bulletproof 47RH and never looked back. Cheaper than buying a new truck, too.

Pmedic4
09-08-2015, 08:35 AM
I previously had a 2012 1500, and while the information I've seen here documents that 2012's are included, it only includes trucks (at least the 1500) make before November 2011. Since mine was built in Jan 2012, it was NOT involved in the recall. As usual, you can tell when you truck is made by looking at the sticker on the Driver side door frame.

Yak
09-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Uh oh. Ford tech driving a Dodge. Like to hear that story.

BTW, its the dealer more than the techs. I've had problems with private, chain repair shops and dealers. I cringe when I can't do something myself and have to take it to a shop.

Ditto on aftermarket parts like the 47RH trannies that Dodge used to use. I went Suncoast for an aftermarket, bulletproof 47RH and never looked back. Cheaper than buying a new truck, too.
Just like Goldilocks, the Ranger was too small, the F150 was too big and the Dakota was just right!!!

kimbashaw
09-25-2015, 02:17 AM

I believe it is a frame issue. They are rotting out. Apparently due to sub par steel.

Edited: Sorry the frame issue is the Toyota trucks. Not sure what is going on with the Dodge recall. I know it is going to cost Toyota a ton of $$$ to rectify their problems.

C130
09-26-2015, 06:24 AM
A 2014 is not part of any buy back problem/program. If he has had 4 sets of tires on a 2014 how many miles does it have on it? Sounds like that guy needs to learn how to drive.

Seems like everyone knows who is and who is not good at their job but never has done it a day in their life.

I don't know the details of the buyback, just what the guy told me. He said it had been aligned numerous times and showed it was in alignment on the machine but when he drove it the front end would move out of alignment. It was a nice, clean looking truck and not one that looked abused at all. The owner said he had received a letter from Chrysler or whoever stating it was part of the buyback program. Maybe he misspoke or I misunderstood him but pretty sure he said it was a 2014. Either way it was a late model RAM DRW, truck looked new. I've had my issues with a previous Ford so definitely not putting down the RAM.