PDA

View Full Version : Canadian snowbird health insurance

arturob
07-25-2015, 06:37 AM
Last year we were covered by medipac but had no need to use their services. We are trying to find a lower cost option this time around. I came across snowbirdinsurance.com which is offering $100k insurance in the US then evacuation back to Canada for extended treatment. this sounds like a fair option for us but I wonder if anyone has had any experience with this company - good or bad?

Festus2
07-25-2015, 06:57 AM
I can't comment on Snowbird but Good Sam also offers a similar "medical evacuation" plan called Travel Assist. If you go to their site (www.goodsamtravelassist.com) or phone 1-888-853-7333, more information can be found about this plan. I believe the cost is somewhere around $80 (US$) per year.
Travel Assist is not the same as having a plan that will cover your costs while receiving treatment at a hospital. Travel Assist does not pay for your hospital bills - but does cover quite a bit of other medically-related "stuff" once the medical emergency is over. I would check to see if Snowbird is similar to Travel Assist in what it covers and what it does not.

Whatever health insurance you purchase for use in the US, be sure to read the fine print and be aware of any pre-existing medical conditions clauses that are found in many out-of-province medical travel insurance plans. As you probably know, there are dozens of horror stories about Canadians who bought travel medical insurance, thought they were covered for any and all medical emergencies in the U.S. only to find out they were not. Somewhere along the line, the insurance company refused to pay for hospital bills because the applicants didn't fill out the form correctly - they said "No" when they should have answered "Yes" (or vice versa). Often, the medical questionnaire application requires a lawyer to interpret the questions so you can answer them correctly. Believe me, you do not want to be stuck paying for a long (or even short) term hospital stay in the US for a major medical problem. You can lose everything in a heartbeat.

bigbluthundr
05-21-2016, 05:44 PM
I ALWAYS use T I S - google it - In Abbotsford B.C. & Ontario - Seems to have good plan - few ? - lots of variables & early bird discount.

BBT

Desert185
05-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Sneak across the border and adopt a different accent. Medical care is then free! What a country!