PDA

View Full Version : Swagman bumper rack - am I doing this right?

tommy_z
07-23-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out the right way to set the bikes on the 2-bike bumper mount rack I bought. Are these sitting correctly?

Yes, that is a boat bumper to keep them from rubbing against each other.

therink
07-23-2015, 04:04 PM
I have a similar rack on my bumper and load three bikes on it. The key is to eliminate bounce, which appears to be in check if your ratchet straps are good and tight.
My bumper was soft so I added 1/8" thick x 2" wide x 12" long pieces of stock steel (4 total) between the bumper surfaces (upper and lower) and the bike rack clamping arms. This added more rigidity to the thin structure of the bumper tube. Without the extra steel, the bumper tube started to round when I tried to tightened the racks mounting bolts/brackets enough to keep the rack tight. With the steel plating, I can tighten it well. I have used this for 5 yrs on two different trailers with no issues and the rack is solid.

jimcam22
09-01-2015, 08:49 AM
This is how I setup my bikes on the Swagman 2 bike bumper rack.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=721&pictureid=3708

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=721&pictureid=3707

I bungee a 1" x 1/8" bar under the rack and thru the wheels to keep the bikes from bouncing.

Laredo240MK2015
09-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Where do you keep a spare tire?

Steve

jimcam22
09-01-2015, 01:55 PM
I have a Fifth Wheel. I keep the spare in the pass thru storage.

Fishhawk
09-02-2015, 02:56 AM
I use the Bal Hide A Spare mounted to the frame under the camper
Easy access to my spare , yet, out of the way
Where do you keep a spare tire?

Steve

rjsurfer
09-02-2015, 03:21 AM
That's why I like my Swagman I have, it has the two trays that support the wheels and two hooks that come down on the bikes top rail. The pressure on the top rails pushes the tires into the trays, no straps necessary.

Ron W

Fishhawk
09-02-2015, 03:43 AM
That's why I like my Swagman I have, it has the two trays that support the wheels and two hooks that come down on the bikes top rail. The pressure on the top rails pushes the tires into the trays, no straps necessary.

Ron W

I have a similiar setup with my Swagman
No issues with bikes bouncing , and in addition
I like to tie off the rack and the bikes to the bumper hitch to eliminate excessive movement
5 yrs of hauling our bikes and no problems .... So far :)

hankaye
09-02-2015, 06:20 AM
Howdy All;

Funny, I don't see any type of "Pull down bar in either of the 2 sets of posted
pix. Is it an "extra" ??? What kind of instructions are included with the unit
when purchased(?), or do they expect the purchaser to figure it out so if your
bikes fall out/off they can't be held libel?

hankaye

SteveC7010
09-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Howdy All;

Funny, I don't see any type of "Pull down bar in either of the 2 sets of posted
pix. Is it an "extra" ??? What kind of instructions are included with the unit
when purchased(?), or do they expect the purchaser to figure it out so if your
bikes fall out/off they can't be held libel?

hankaye
All they say is "Secure the bikes to the stabilizer post with rope or bungees." The stabilizer post is part of the basic unit.

http://www.swagman.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/80605Instru.pdf

When we go out for extended camping trips, DW follows the trailer in her Jeep GC towing the boat. If there was any bouncing around of anything on the rear of the Cougar, she would call me on the radio and let me know right away. I've asked about it a few times, and it has never been a problem.

FWIW, I don't think bikes bounce around nearly as much as we think when they are on this type of rack or on the Keystone slide-out rack. It's the receiver mount bike racks that get to bouncing so much.

hankaye
09-02-2015, 01:58 PM
SteveC7010, Howdy;

Ok, Thanks for the link. Always easier to spot something if you know where
to look. One would think that having 2 of the upright bars would be more
conducive to stabilizing a pair of bikes ...

hankaye