PDA

View Full Version : Onan RV QG 5500 Evap

Luckybuck55
07-21-2015, 01:12 PM
What is the proper think to do when running generator ? I know you leave the door on the generator shut while it is running! Do you also close the cargo door? I understand that the generator pulls air from the under the bottom of RV, to keep it cool. I ran this past Sunday with cargo door opened and it seem to get hot, it was 98 degrees at the time.

dcg9381
07-21-2015, 03:12 PM
You can leave the cargo door open or closed, it doesn't matter. However, you MUST leave the generator cover closed, that's critical. These are air cooled units, they have a fan that pulls air in from the bottom and exhausts it to the bottom. Let 'em run. They have built in protection against low oil and overheat...

Luckybuck55
07-21-2015, 03:52 PM
That sounds good, that's what I thought just wanted to make sure I was correct. I use sea foam in gas all the time when I put new gas in and run every couple months, when I ran it Sunday ran good for a while them sound like it chocked down a little both ac were on and had been on and then it missed a little like it was running out of gas , gauge read 1/2 maybe it picked up a little trash, this is the first time it has done this, or gauge is off which it could be.

Luckybuck55
08-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Is it okay to run generator with breakers off while hooked to shore power? I know if you turn breakers on the generator while hooked to shore power you will have serious trouble I just want to run generator for a while just to exercise unit, without unhooking shore power

dcg9381
08-03-2015, 06:15 AM
The "transfer switch" should keep you out of trouble if you want it plugged in and have a running generator.

Luckybuck55
08-03-2015, 07:23 AM
The transfer switch would be the 2 breakers on the generator right! I just need to make sure they are off right.

dcg9381
08-03-2015, 07:32 AM
The transfer switch would be the 2 breakers on the generator right! I just need to make sure they are off right.

No. It's a switching mechanism that prevents the situation that you're afraid of - line AC and generator AC conflicting. If you followed the power cord in, eventually you'd find the transfer switch. Generator should be tied in there also.

The only condition where this might not apply is if your RV had an aftermarket generator install that wasn't done normally...

I've run almost all of our RVs with generator power while plugged in, if it makes you feel better.

Luckybuck55
08-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Mine was installed at factory. If I leave breakers off on generator that will for sure not feed the RV while it is hooked to shore power!

jtyphoid
08-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Mine was installed at factory. If I leave breakers off on generator that will for sure not feed the RV while it is hooked to shore power!
This is true, but it will also not put a load on the generator. If I recall correctly, Onan specifies to put a load on your generator to correctly exercise it.

If you have all of the paperwork for your RV, there should be a pamphlet for a transfer switch. Most are configured for generator priority. In other words, if the generator is running and producing voltage, then the transfer switch will internally disconnect the shore power and will feed all of the RV circuits from the generator.

Edited to add that it is best to turn off all big and sensitive loads when starting the generator, whether you are on shore power or not. The transfer switch most likely has a brief delay to allow the genny to come up to speed before exposing it to the load, but it is recommended to let the genny warm up for a few minutes before hitting it with big loads like the AC or microwave.

Luckybuck55
08-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Just running long enough to make sure gas is not clogging up carb I know that you need to put load on it to exercise total generator. Thanks to all for info sometimes don't trust factory info, they could have missed a step lol!

Luckybuck55
08-03-2015, 12:10 PM
I didn't see a book on transfer switch, but what you are saying is if I am on shore power and I start generator the switch will kick off shore power when I cut breakers on the generator, this keeps you from overloading and burning the RV up.

dcg9381
08-03-2015, 12:49 PM
No. The transfer switch is an "OR" gate. That is it either accepts power from the shore OR from the generator, but doesn't let both flow at the same time. It's dummie-proof and you don't have to mess with breakers or anything else. Both go in, but only one goes out to the power distribution system (breakers) on the RV.

The "preference" is which source it will pick when both are powered up.

When they fail, I've they usually get locked to one source and don't switch.

jtyphoid
08-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I didn't see a book on transfer switch, but what you are saying is if I am on shore power and I start generator the switch will kick off shore power when I cut breakers on the generator, this keeps you from overloading and burning the RV up.
If I understand what you mean, then yes. However, there probably isn't any need to mess with the breakers at the generator. All of the transfer switches that I looked at have a delay function that lets the generator get up to speed before switching over.

I recommend trying to find your transfer switch. First, it would be good to verify that you really have one, and second, you will probably be able to find a manual online if you can get the make and model off of it.

Edited to add that it will probably be close to the generator. Mine is in the storage compartment next to the generator under the nose of the fifth wheel. The generator output cable should lead you to it.