PDA

View Full Version : I'm going nuts- with a leak

dave-g
07-21-2015, 01:45 AM
last year put new Maxxis tires on 5th wheel-

10 months in storage- pressure went from 80 down to 76- I"m ok with that.

aired up- checked 2 weeks later 80 psi.
drive 400 mile-camp over night, in morning 80 psi-
2 hours later 1 tire at 50 psi- hit repair station- air up tire and tank it. no bubbles- but I change the tire any way. ( and stem)

300 miles- tire ok- sit at camp ground for 5 days drops to 69 psi. new tire only.
Drive 300 miles- and camp for 2 more days-80 psi
drive 750 miles, 80 psi.

Only thing left is the rim- but I can not understand the why it only leaks some times.

bg71361
07-21-2015, 05:02 AM
Sometimes corrosion can build between the aluminum rim and the tire bead, did you notice any when the tire was changed?

jsmith948
07-21-2015, 06:18 AM
If you have metal valve stems, you might try GENTLY snugging up the nut on the stem. Sometimes the rubber grommet compresses a bit and will result in a super slow leak. I had one that would emit about one little bubble every minute or so. Common seasonal change issue on tractor/trailers. Or, as stated above, if there is corrosion or dirt where the tire bead meets the rim, it might only leak when you put side pressure on the tire (such as backing in).

{tpc}
07-21-2015, 09:21 AM
I t sounds like my wifes truck. I would guess rim leak, maybe its just ever so slightly off or something causing the leak. My wife has 1 tire that constantly does this, before and after new tires and no matter how many times they reseat it on the rim, it does it again.

But her truck is old and beat to hell, so it isn't that surprising, just irritating.

Larry1013
07-29-2015, 12:19 PM
curious, was there any soap in the water tank where you checked for a leak? If not add some type of soap such as Dawn to the water.

If it leaks again, notice in what position the valve stem is located. Compare this to the valve stem location when it doesn't leak. It may be valve stem but might be something else.

I once had a wide oval tire in the 70's that I had to put a boot in it. I didn't have to the money to buy a new tire. Over the next few years, the tire would go flat over night when the boot was on the bottom where the tire contacted the ground. Any other place, the boot would not leak and tire stayed pumped up.

Ken / Claudia
07-29-2015, 04:48 PM
I just had same type problem with a new tire on my boat. I got 5 new tires and valve stems. Used the boat several times, pulled about 100 miles total. Each trip check psi at or near 50. Last trip I really angled the trailer hard into driveway and 2 days later, 1 tire flat. I removed it, rolled it around looking for debris and found nothing. Aired it up, Stem checked with soapy water and was OK. Left wheel/tire at dealer for 4 days and nothing found wrong. 3 weeks later and not moved it is still at 50 psi. I and tire shop have no answers. Did the hard angling into driveway have anything to do with it? maybe.

TDF5G
09-30-2015, 09:53 AM
It may be slow leak between the tire bead and the rim. When that wheel is parked in a certain position in may leak only at that time and not then not leak
when parked in a different position. I've seen this happen before.

I would dismount the tire, check the rim and bead for rust or dirt, small foreign material etc. Reseal and remount the tire in a different position on the rim and give that a try.

MBD
10-03-2015, 07:53 AM
don't have all the facts of your situation, but have also seen paper labels on tires in the bead area are not completely removed and results in a poor bead seal