PDA

View Full Version : AC height on roof

Campy
07-19-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm looking to add a second AC unit in the front bedroom of our 5er. Any reason why I should not use a "standard" AC unit? I have been looking at the Penguin low profile unit but its twice the cost of a standard AC unit. The standard Dometic Brisk unit is taller but it weighs about 30lbs. less than the Penguin unit.

chuckster57
07-19-2015, 11:39 AM
With the trailer sitting level, measure how high from the ground to the roof where the unit will set. then knowing how high the unit sets, I WOULDN'T go any higher than 13' 6" to clear low over passes.

Javi
07-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Depends on the height of the trailer... for instance the low profile on mine is a measured 13' 6" from the ground to the top of the unit when hitched on level ground.. limits where I can go... lots of bridges, overpasses and parking covers I can't fit under..

christopherglenn
07-19-2015, 11:51 AM
Federal minimum on interstates is 13'6". Some states are higher, most are not. To avoid trouble you need to be not more then 13'6" tall, 8'6" wide and 65' long bumper to bumper - not counting mirrors (and a few other things).

Javi
07-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Federal minimum on interstates is 13'6". Some states are higher, most are not. To avoid trouble you need to be not more then 13'6" tall, 8'6" wide and 65' long bumper to bumper - not counting mirrors (and a few other things).

Yeah, 13.6 on interstates for sure... but 13' 6" has sure limited me to taking some circuitous routes to campgrounds.. :D

Campy
07-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Right now hooked to the truck I'm at 12' 2.5" to the roof with the vent removed. I am setting front higher than the back by 2" so that would make me 12' 1/2inch high if I'm dead level. The AC units will add 9" for the Penguin and 12.7" for the Brisk unit. The taller unit would put me at 13' 1.25" give or take a little.

chuckster57
07-19-2015, 01:44 PM
Then I say go for the cost saving unit.

Povo
07-19-2015, 05:39 PM
This why I love this forum. I posted a question about adding a 2nd AC unit to our 327 RES. Helped me verify my 5ver was setup for it. Then I stumble across this thread. I have a Dometic unit & my RV shop asked if it was duct or non-ducted (not sure what I have). In any case, I like the idea of the same manufacturer, combined with a low profile system that will work with my set up. Also, doesn't sound too expensive (relatively speaking - I'm looking long term).

Pull Toy
07-20-2015, 05:00 AM
As mentioned by Javi and others, 13'6" is minimum for interstates. BUT... When you see 13'6" clearance marked on an overpass, be sure to allow for snow on the roof of the tractor/trailer in front of you, snow still on the ground, or recent temporary roadwork!

Campy
07-20-2015, 09:07 AM
While the height of the rig does concern me so does the weight added to the roof. The low profile AC unit is 3 inches lower and 32lbs. heavier so that is a weight vs. height issue. I'm currently measuring everything do see how I can reduce the height overall, I have lowered my hitch in the truck bed and could also reduce the air in the bags a little but now I think I'm just splitting hairs...

chuckster57
07-20-2015, 11:05 AM
If your vent is pre wired for a second A/C, then the roof structure will take the weight of either unit as it was built for it.

Campy
07-21-2015, 02:49 AM
Well after tossing it around for several days and measuring and moving everything around I finally ordered the AC unit! I decided to bite the bullet and buy the low profile Penguin, it was right at $300 more but peace of mind on every inch of height clearance is worth it. With my hitch in the truck lowered and the camper now level I can manage to get an overall height of 12'10.5" hooked to the truck. That gives me a little more flexibility in weight loading changing the ride height a little.