PDA

View Full Version : Mattress topper-top or bottom?

Hoef
07-17-2015, 01:19 PM
I realize that the subject of mattresses and toppers has been beat to death; however, I could not find anywhere that someone chose to put their "topper" BENEATH their mattress.
We bought the topper, today, but my DW and I disagree as to its location...any input? (tx)
Hoef

BirchyBoy
07-17-2015, 01:21 PM
I pondered a similar question, wondering if a regular mattress would benefit from having a foam pad under it. When I called my mattress guy, he said the mattresses he builds and sells require a solid platform. Having foam underneath it would not give the mattress the necessary support it needs.

X-Treme
07-17-2015, 01:33 PM
Why would anyone put a TOPPER underneath the mattress? Our TOPPER is on the TOP, where it's supposed to be.

Has anyone ever installed a slide topper on the underside of their slide?

Seabee
07-17-2015, 02:07 PM
The egg-crate type toppers we have are under the bunk beds because the sheets hold on better that way and you can't really tell the difference, they just give extra padding. The two-inch thick gel memory foam topper is on top of the queen master bed.

Festus2
07-17-2015, 02:53 PM
I've never run across anyone who has put a mattress topper underneath the mattress but there is still some time left in my life .......

I can't see any benefit to doing this.

So fess up. Which one of you wants to put it underneath?

GrumpyG
07-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Isn't there a reason they call it a "TOPper"?

For under the mattress, search Google for "Mattress Bottomer" "bouncey:

notanlines
07-18-2015, 05:28 AM
Hoef, face it, bud. You didn't have to come here to take this abuse.....You could have just slid the topper, uh, well here and there until it felt comfortable. Today was just sort of your day in the barrel.:D

BirchyBoy
07-18-2015, 05:44 AM
I give him 6 months until he comes to market with a mattress supporter and laughs his way all to the bank. All of us will have egg on our faces for doubting him and be purchasing his invention on QVC.

Good luck!

sjturbo
07-18-2015, 05:47 AM
I think that is why it is called a topper. We have a 2or 3 inch (can't remember which), on our firm queen mattress and it is great! Put it on top and enjoy it!

Hoef
07-18-2015, 07:06 AM
THANK YOU, ONE AND ALL, FOR YOUR RESPONSES.

So, the reason for the discussion, is that, as a physicist, I tend to question and challenge almost everything. And, the existing "mattress" is nothing more than a piece of light-weight egg crate foam, inside a non-woven fabric. So, it became a question, in my mind, of where to locate the light density (mattress) vs the greater density (topper).

We are going to start with the topper on top (always a good idea to listen to the DW :p ). If that seems less than ideal, we will switch them, and report our findings at a future date, to anyone who cares.

FYI, what I was hoping for was experience, but opinions are the next best thing...

(tx)

Festus2
07-18-2015, 07:15 AM

So, the reason for the discussion, is that, as a physicist, I tend to question and challenge almost everything.

We are going to start with the topper on top (always a good idea to listen to the DW :p ).

FYI, what I was hoping for was experience, but opinions are the next best thing...

(tx)

Hoef -
I am not a physicist but it has been my real world experience that you never question or challenge your DW. This is not some theory. It is a proven, scientific fact.
Yes, it is not only a good idea to listen to your wife but also wiser and healthier.
Nobody but a physicist would think of putting a mattress topper underneath his mattress. :D

jsmith948
07-18-2015, 07:18 AM

(tx)

Okay - you were asking for experience. In my experience, in regards to complex issues such as this, is to let the DW decide:D

GrumpyG
07-18-2015, 08:36 AM
This is why DW's are also known as SWMBO's *She Who Must Be Obeyed"

Hoef
07-18-2015, 09:12 AM
What was I thinking? (That's the problem...I was thinking! :dizzy::confused:

PARAPTOR
07-18-2015, 09:18 AM
After putting a lot of thought into this, I think we need more information like "Is the mattress upside down" :banghead:

Hoef
07-18-2015, 09:28 AM
Mattress is reversible (per mattress label), and both suck (without the topper)...
We put our 3" Serta high density gel foam (made by Sleep Innovations...sold by Kohl's), and the difference, so far, is remarkable. Of course we haven't slept on it for a full night...just tested, so far...:thewave::thewave:

RavensFan24
07-23-2015, 07:45 AM
We typically just have an egg crate on our mattress, but since we jsut spent 3 weeks in the trailer, we brought along the memory foam topper. It was definitely a game changer. At 6'3" I'm already hanging off the bed, so any support the bed itself can provide is huge and with the cheap mattress we get in an RV, you need the help.

I had never considered putting the topper underneath the mattress, but I feel like you wouldn't get as much benefit from it being there if it was underneath. If it's on top you sink into it a bit and it reduces any bounce the mattress may have when you roll around.

Now if only I can figure out how to eliminate my snoring, my girlfriend would be able to actually sleep through the night.

Western Traveler
07-23-2015, 03:29 PM
We have a standard queen size memory foam topper for our "short" factory queen bed. Benefit one is not feeling the springs when kneeling on it to reach the overhead cabinets. Two was a way better nights sleep.
Our problem has been the longer pad sliding off the bed as we get in and out and after a couple of days we were having to adjust the whole thing again.
Our solution was to slide the mattress off the headboard down a few inches and bend the topper around the top of mattress and hold it in place with our fitted standard size queen sheets then shove the whole unit back up against the headboard. Stays in place much longer and added a couple of inches to the length of bed. We didn't want to cut the topper because it has a nice cover around it.
Other solutions?

cardinal96ss
07-23-2015, 03:56 PM
OK. Not to pile on, but I'm an engineer and I think of strange stuff at times also. We are thinking of just using two toppers and getting rid of our useless, lightweight mattress altogether.
If so, the obvious question will be which topper to put on top.

Festus2
07-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Surely you must know if you are an engineer that you cannot have 2 toppers. One has to be on the bottom so you will have one topper and one "bottomer".

If you can't decide which is which, look for the one that has the "topper" label on it. That would be the one that you put on top.

The next "obvious question" would be which side of the topper do you place facing up?

Shhheesh --- what's with our engineer members?

We often read here that there is "no such thing as a dumb question". Now, I'm beginning to wonder. Is there? lol

tiki318
07-27-2015, 01:41 PM
We have a standard queen size memory foam topper for our "short" factory queen bed. ... We didn't want to cut the topper because it has a nice cover around it.
Other solutions?

Since you have the room, slide the mattress down towards the foot of the bed about 6". Then fill the space at the head of the bed with boxes or have a foam block cut to fit at the craft or fabric store. Just be sure that it is level with the top of the queen mattress. Now lay the topper over the mattress and filler. You now have a standard queen-size mattress. Once you put a standard fitted sheet on the bed, the topper should stay in place.

wesaysoracing
07-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Why would anyone put a TOPPER underneath the mattress? Our TOPPER is on the TOP, where it's supposed to be.

Has anyone ever installed a slide topper on the underside of their slide?

be easier to mount it on the bottom , no ladders involved , just sit on the ground and screw it on

mazboy123
07-27-2015, 06:18 PM
it's called a 'topper' ....wonder why?

way don't you just purchase a mattress and don't waste your time with a topper.