PDA

View Full Version : mounting stuff on rubber roofs?

hsmunoz
03-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Hi everyone. I am thinking about adding some solar panels to the Alpine, but I have never worked with a rubber roof before. what's the magical trick for mounting stuff up there?
thanks

Maxzd
03-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi everyone. I am thinking about adding some solar panels to the Alpine, but I have never worked with a rubber roof before. what's the magical trick for mounting stuff up there?
thanks

I am 80% done mounting solar panels on my RV. Have a look in the mods and upgrades forum I posted some pictures. My advice is just be careful and take your time. Once anything is mounted use lots of sealant over brackets, screws etc...

hsmunoz
03-21-2011, 03:44 PM
I saw the pics mate, nice job, but if the roof is rubber, what did you anchor the home made Z brackets too?
TIA

Maxzd
03-21-2011, 06:32 PM
I saw the pics mate, nice job, but if the roof is rubber, what did you anchor the home made Z brackets too?
TIA

I will be anchoring them right thru the roof membrane into the plywood using lag bolts for each panel. The lag bolts I bought have a gasket seal at the end, they're normally used for satellite dish installations. Not necessary just another extra level of prevention. Once that is done, each Z bracket & Lag bolt head will be sealed with Dicor Lap Sealant. I will probably use 1 tube for each solar panel, coating them completely so there is no chance of water getting through front, back, sides or top. It's self leveling and a few hours of good weather it sets up nicely.