PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip

rcbufalino
07-13-2015, 04:03 AM
In a few weeek, we will be heading to the coast tfrom Minnesota. On the trip east one of the stops is at Durango, CO> and than to Hill City, SD. It does'nt look like there are many route options, looking for advice on road conditions. My route is US 160>US285>I-70>I-25>US26 and so on. I will be hauling a 41" toyhauler with a Dodge Dually with a 6.7. what kind of grades & twistys should I expect. google say's 721 miles 0r 12 hours.(tx)

bsmith0404
07-13-2015, 04:30 AM
You'll run into quite a bit of hills and winding roads along the way, but nothing that you need to be concerned about with your set-up. The twists are gradual enough and the hills won't be an issue with a diesel.

hankaye
07-13-2015, 05:51 AM
bsmith0404, Howdy;

Have you "explored" the route with Google Earth? You can see what the
roads actually look like (be sure to check the date of the photos on the
bottom row), and watch the elevations as the roads go up & down the
Rockies. Here's a link to Co.DOT for information. https://www.codot.gov/
You do realize that you are planning to drive up the spine of the Rockies?
Alt. route would be US-160 to I-25 to I-70 ...
By the way ...how are you planning to get to Durango???

hankaye

rcbufalino
07-13-2015, 08:10 AM
I'm thinking of I-40/US-160

sourdough
07-13-2015, 01:57 PM
If you're taking 160 into CO and then to Durango you will go over Wolf Creek Pass before you get to Pagosa Springs then on to Durango. I think your rig will pull the mountains going up but be SURE and watch your braking going "down the other side" as CW McCall would say in his song. I've seen many truck/trailer/RV combos sitting on the side of the road due to overheating (engines and brakes).

On the other hand, it is a beautiful route and you need to do research on all the sights there are to see. Outside Durango there are the cliff dwellings and many other things as you proceed along your route (the beauty of an RV):)